Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Is there ANY truth to this at all?

Ok, so one of my coworkers, who was a vet tech for many years and is generally pretty knowledgable, has huge hang ups about intact dogs. Which is sad, but her problem, not everybody else's.

However, I just found out that she told another coworker her pit bull needed to be neutered (he's a well adjusted adult dog) because his testicles are making him walk bow-legged and that will give him hip dysplasia.

I pretty much spit my coffee and yelled "That's BULLSHIT!!!" because it sure sounds like it to me. Any input? It sounds patently ridiculous to me, but the owner of said pit bull is concerned and wanted me to look into it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Good news: Nature somehow figured out a way for us intact males to walk without constantly racking ourselves OR giving ourselves orthopedic problems. Hooray!

Bad news: Your co-worker is a farking idiot and should be neutered immediately in order to prevent the spread of stupidity in the gene pool.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Good news: Nature somehow figured out a way for us intact males to walk without constantly racking ourselves OR giving ourselves orthopedic problems. Hooray!

Bad news: Your co-worker is a farking idiot and should be neutered immediately in order to prevent the spread of stupidity in the gene pool.
I would tend to agree on both counts.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM
such sights to show you

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.

Huge swinging sac aside, nothing is going to give an adult dog hip dysplasia. It's developmental, not something that is acquired in adulthood for any reason.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.

Huge swinging sac aside, nothing is going to give an adult dog hip dysplasia. It's developmental, not something that is acquired in adulthood for any reason.
See, that's what I thought as well! He's an adult, he's not going to "catch" hip dysplasia somehow.

This dog is 6 years old, doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, barely humps, doesn't roam, and is in excellent health... And coworker A is just trying to give coworker B some ridiculous reason to neuter him.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
And coworker A is just trying to give coworker B some ridiculous reason to neuter him.
Pretty much that. It's one thing to be a neuter-nazi and think every dog on the planet should be neutered, it's another thing entirely to LIE to people in an attempt to force them into neutering their dog.

If the dog is 6 years old and has had his balls all his life, and hasn't sired any "oops" or otherwise poorly-bred litters, I think it's a safe bet that the owner is competent to keep him intact.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Pretty much that. It's one thing to be a neuter-nazi and think every dog on the planet should be neutered, it's another thing entirely to LIE to people in an attempt to force them into neutering their dog.

If the dog is 6 years old and has had his balls all his life, and hasn't sired any "oops" or otherwise poorly-bred litters, I think it's a safe bet that the owner is competent to keep him intact.
Yep, for sure. Though I don't even think she's lying, just being... stupid. As in, she's probably convinced herself it's true.

And yeah, Mack has no babies on the planet and is entirely well-adjusted. Definitely does not need to be neutered. I think coworker A just can't stand the sight of his balls.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I think coworker A just can't stand the sight of his balls.
It's amazing how people who don't like the sight of dog balls seem to spend so much time actively looking at them. I'd say a lot of these people have some strange issues they're bottling up and should probably talk to a professional about.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:

If only!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Bite me.

Quote:
It's amazing how people who don't like the sight of dog balls seem to spend so much time actively looking at them. I'd say a lot of these people have some strange issues they're bottling up and should probably talk to a professional about.
So true. This woman also gives Vet Techs a bad name. Bowlegged from his testicles.