Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I would also suggest not doing stuff like that "in the back." Some dogs are better away from their owners, but hearing their dog screaming from elsewhere in the clinic is really stressful for people and will almost always lead to accusations of mistreatment.
I don't know. It's kind of.... scream in the room with your owner (who would probably mostly get in the way), or scream from another room. The thing is, the woman was TOTALLY understanding when I brought the dog back to her. I mean I was pretty much thinking, oh God what's her reaction going to be like... but she apologized to ME. She was like "I am sooo sorry she acted like that and that you guys had to deal with it." It was actually her husband that ended up calling us, he wasn't at the appointment. So I don't know if she got more upset about it later, or if he just didn't like the way she described it, or if nobody was upset until they started noticing behavior changes. Who knows. Of course, I don't know what the conversation between her and the vet was like before she brought the puppy back to us, either.

Quote:
For blood draws, I think a lot of it is the restraint. Get the dog used to being held in a bear hug, with its leg out, and its vein rolled off. Get them used to sitting still with their head lifted up and having pressure on their neck for a jug stick. I would say at least 75% of the dogs that are "bad for blood draws" start flipping out as soon as you restrain them. They often don't notice the poke, or the draw, they just don't like the entire process. If you get them used to the restraint, then when they're poked they're already used to the process and you are only keeping them distracted from the poke (which chicken works nicely for!), not the entire process.
Yes this, absolutely. As long as the dog accepts handling and is okay with strangers, blood draws are a breeze. Pretty much they only become difficult when the dog freaks out about being touched or held still. The needle itself is nothing, they don't mind the procedure itself. Most of the major freak outs happen as soon as you try to restrain them.

Appreciate the input. We did advise the owners to work on desensitization and lots of positive experiences. Maybe from now on I'll just approach every single puppy with hands full of treats. I wish we had more lickable treats... maybe I'll see if we can keep a jar of peanut butter or something to put on tongue depressors. In this specific case I don't think the puppy would have cared about food, but for things like giving fluids or trimming nails it'd probably be a good enough distraction for them.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
such sights to show you

We keep a jar of peanut butter and a couple of cans of Easy Cheese on hand. The Easy Cheese especially is nice because you can squirt a line right onto the exam table and do stuff while they're busy with it. (Obviously always have to ask first, though.)

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
orange iguanas.

Mmm yeah that would be good too! Our treats we have right now suck lol. We just have dry Sister Joans treats which don't seem to be very tempting. Sometimes we'll use canned i/d but that's kind of wasteful if that's the only thing we're opening a can for.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Mmm yeah that would be good too! Our treats we have right now suck lol. We just have dry Sister Joans treats which don't seem to be very tempting. Sometimes we'll use canned i/d but that's kind of wasteful if that's the only thing we're opening a can for.
Oh! I'm so taking canned food. GENIUS.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Top Dog

That's how I cut Tucker's dew claws once, cream cheese smeared on a plate.

But this is my greatest fear about taking Tucker to the vet, that it will make his aggression worse, make him quicker to bite, and bring back the long distance human reactivity he had when he was younger. I have to see if the vet will let us bring him by repeatedly over the summer to hang out, but I feel like even with that I'd still need the vet himself to participate and I don't know if any of them will do that for free.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Love my pets

I agree that some vets just don't know how to handle puppies. One of my dogs was only 10 weeks old with an ear infection. He didn't want his ear touched and squirmed. The vet told us we'd better do obedience with him or not bring him back again since they don't tolerate this kind of behavior. The dog was their for an ear infection not just a friendly visit. Of course it wasn't feeling good and didn't want the ear touched; I did not like that place after that.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

My thought on the matter is that it's all up to the owner... Training, socialization, etc. go a LONG WAY... And taking treats with you to the vet, imo, is a necessity. ESPECIALLY for puppies. So it sounds like the dog is already being failed...

By that age, Recon had already been handled daily by me as far as ears, teeth, butt, etc. and had met probably 100-300 people in a safe manner with a lot of praise and reward. We went to the vet for the third and fourth times last week, he had xrays done out of the room and a blood draw for HW done in the room. Well he already knows how to lay down and is comfortable with people touching him, so he didn't even need to be restrained for the blood draw, I was just popping treats into his mouth from a down position. For the xrays the techs just took some of my treats and had him lay down and stay on the table. Again, no restraint needed.

When we went to the rehab vet, then did need to roll him over and restrain him a bit because he was wiggly for some ROM measurements, but as I was popping treats into his mouth, he relaxed and stayed on his side without the tech restraining him.

Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, small dog owners set their dogs up for this kind of behavior unknowingly, and don't do anything to counteract it once it starts happening.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
That's how I cut Tucker's dew claws once, cream cheese smeared on a plate.

But this is my greatest fear about taking Tucker to the vet, that it will make his aggression worse, make him quicker to bite, and bring back the long distance human reactivity he had when he was younger. I have to see if the vet will let us bring him by repeatedly over the summer to hang out, but I feel like even with that I'd still need the vet himself to participate and I don't know if any of them will do that for free.
I don't know any clinic that would mind you popping over. I mean, you might not get a vet involved if they're busy, but a tech would probably be a suitable replacement.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
We are using the Heartguard "taste test" treats the reps gave us. Dogs go BONKERS for them, they are an awesome size to let dogs nom on them while still holding it in your hand, and you can squish them up into all kinds of shapes/pieces you need.

And they are doing their purpose to - another tech said she sold three people on heartguard after they saw how their dog liked the treats. LOL

Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

What about pups that don't take food when scared? Jackson's always been this way. He will NOT take food at the vets because he's THAT terrified. Typically even something good. He just is so nervous (he expresses his anal glands every time, like I said). But there's gotta be other dogs who won't take food? He also doesn't really like peanut butter that much.

with that said, I'm thankful he's not a spazz, I don't worry about him biting or flailing for the most part, he's just *that* terrified which makes me feel incredibly bad.

Brit & Jackson