Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

Yes, it's a concern for me. I would never want a dog whose life expectancy was under 10 years. Unnecessary heartache for me!

I'm always planning to have random shelter mutts, so I realize it's a crapshoot what genetics I get--obviously guaranteeing at least 15+ years isn't a high priority for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
orange iguanas.

I've never really thought about it to be honest. But the breeds that tend to have shorter lifespans aren't breeds that I'm interested in, anyway. I mean I suppose boxers can be a bit of a crap shoot, but since my experience has been positive (Molly lived to 12, my sister's boxer is almost 9 and healthy), I don't usually think of them as a short-lived breed.

I don't know that it's something that would turn me away if I REALLY liked the breed in all other aspects. I don't really want my dog to live less than 10 years, but if they can be active and happy and have a good quality of life the whole time... it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't want them to be like, old and crippled by the time they're 5 though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Yes. I'd like to own one of the giant breeds some day, but I need to be sure of which I want before I do that, because I figure I'll only be able to put up with the heartbreak once.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

It is something I take into consideration.

I like the fact that it is not unusual for basenjis to live 16-17 years.

That being said we got Menchi knowing that the average life expectancy in Shar Pei can be less than 10 years.

I have had a dog die at age 5 from liver disease due to an inherited issue...this was in a breed that normally averages 13-14 years. You just never know...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Not really an issue for me. Then again, my mom's dane was 15 when she passed.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Not a Border Collie

I take it into consideration but it's not a big contributing factor, for the most part. As long as the breed doesn't have a super short life span and the average let's say ~12+, I'm happy. I would consider a shorter lived breed though.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Yes and no. I'm concerned with it, but I don't think it'll stop me from "eventually" getting certain breeds. One of my favorite breeds and one I've wanted for a very long time now is considered old at 6, and it is the health and subsequent longevity or lack thereof that has made me balk so far when I've had the opportunity to get a puppy I've liked.
This. I know my heartbreak breeds, and I think "eventually" I'll probably still own them.

On the other hand, it's hard to know for sure. I've seen a few Mastiffs live to 13, and Macie is BYB and had a ton of health issues before she even hit 2, including a slipped disc in her back, teeth issues, chronic tumors. We never expected her to live comfortably past 4. She aged fast...but she turned 9 this year and still romps in the backyard with the younger dogs. It's really hard to know for sure, but I like a general idea of what to expect. I just don't always make a for/against decision based off of it alone.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

I mean, yes and no. I have a desire to own a mastiff one day. But it's pretty far far into the future. I know they're not always the healthiest, or longest lived, but I think I'd be willing to deal with that when the time comes to experience living with one of them.

Then again, I could definitely change my mind in the future. My idea NOW is that once I'm settled, maybe have a family, etc, I'd love a giant breed, so that's with hopes that I'm one day married, maybe a child, own my own home, have a stable job, etc. In my late 30's, maybe early 40's, lol.

At the point in my life now, I really like that terriers are often long-lived and remain healthy. I know there's always a chance that he won't be, but well, I don't want to think about that. I envision him being 14 (and me almost 33 ) and still wanting to be active with me. But, he's going to live forever, I just know it.

Jackson will be 5 this year and I can't imagine thinking he may only have 2-4 more years left. I feel like we've still... just begun, if that makes sense.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

I'm more concerned with the quality of life I have with them than the quantity.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Silence, peasants.

Yes, it's a big factor for me. I couldn't imagine having a dog that actually got old by the time it was 6-8. That's prime time to me. It's one of the many reasons I like border collies so much.

Feistea, ze Blog