Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Default I have the best dad.

I had a nasty stomach bug for a few days this week, but the plan yesterday was for my dad to come get Elsie while I spent all day at school and work (I was going to be gone from 10AM to 10:30PM).

I called my dad first thing in the morning to tell him I wasn't going to work after school, and he didn't need to come get her. He told me to make a doctor's appointment. I told him I didn't feel that bad, he insisted.

I went to school (made my boyfriend drive), and when I got home, my dad was waiting at my house.

He took me to my appointment and sat in the waiting room.

It turns out I was severely dehydrated, and ended up needing two liters of fluid through an IV. I got the impression they would have liked to give me a third, but the office was closing. My blood pressure was 77/44 when I got there. They also had to fight to find my veins, which has never been a problem for me in the past; I always have really 'good' veins. They had to try multiple times, which has never happened to me before. After the first half liter of fluid, I realized how awful I had felt--suddenly I wasn't having to actively fight to stay awake.

Anyway, I feel a lot better today, and I'm taking it easy; drinking lots of fluids, not moving around much.

But I'm really grateful that my dad knows me better than I do, and was able to tell over the phone that something was very wrong. He said he wanted to make me skip class, but knew that wouldn't fly. He would have been right; I shouldn't have gone to school.

It's spooky how fast you can get dehydrated, and it's scary how normal I felt. It wasn't painful and I didn't feel 'bad,' just exhausted.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM
The Littlest Hound

OMG I'm so glad you're alright!!! It is amazing how quick you go downhill - last time I had a stomach bug they gave me 3 liters & it hadn't even been that long! Go sleep it off til Monday

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
OMG I'm so glad you're alright!!! It is amazing how quick you go downhill - last time I had a stomach bug they gave me 3 liters & it hadn't even been that long! Go sleep it off til Monday
Thanks! It was scary in retrospect.

I know! I was sick for a couple of days, though, and that's long enough.

Tomorrow I have some homework to do, but I'm taking it easy today.