Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Insanity work out DVD reviews.

Thinking about buying it.

I know it's hard, but thinking of doing it together!

Any comments on it?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I want to try it...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Sit! Good dog.

It's a bit expensive so going to sleep on it and gets some reviews... I'm an impulse buyer. Need to be sure I'm going to use it.... I've heard it's quite motivating.

We don't live near any good gyms at all, and the gym we do live near is council run, and they don't have any classes on. I like classes more than gym stuff.

Thought, this is something I can do at home, and even the other half might give it a go. He's waaaaaaaay fitter than me, but would like to tone.

I need to lose weight and improve my general fitness.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Resident fainting goat

I have them and really love the program.
The only issue I've had with it is me.

Each video is about 45-50 minutes, always interesting and always an AMAZING workout. 6 days per week and one rest day.
Very very hard but nothing impossible. (Everything is high intensity but in between there are some good recovery days and such)

If you would like to see the videos here are some links
(for the sake of not having to deal with watching 45 seconds of japanese commercials everytime you want to work out.. you may want to still buy the legal DVDs but here if you want an idea)
http://hula-hips.tumblr.com/tagged/workoutlinks

To those with bad knees or anything.. there is LOTS of jumping/running/bouncing/moving. Lots of squatting, lots of high intensity drills.

My advice? Make the videos work for you and KEEP YOUR FORM.
Even if it means pausing, taking a minute, checking a mirror and getting your form PERFECT. I see way too many people doing these videos and just flailling around.

Best advice everyone ever told me, which has helped me get as far in this program as I have.
It is a MAX INTENSITY WORKOUT. It DEPENDS on your heartrate being back to normal before you jump into the next high intensity workout. If you need more than 10-15 seconds between to get back...then wait. It's better than you jumping back in and giving up.

Personally I'm very happy with it. I'm not the kind of person that will get to a gym (too far, too many excuses, don't want to pay for a monthly gym pass) so it works for me. I get my 45 minutes a day, no matter what.

All you need is a yoga mat and some shoes.

The results so far have been very good. I am losing fat and gaining muscle.

BUT
- I end up in a puddle of sweat every evening
- There are days when I hate the videos and feel like I am going to die
- There are mornings after this workout where I am sore.. everywhere.
- It's easy to not make the time, everyday, or put it off. I personally prefer to do it in the evenings.
-I have known people who have gotten great results but subsequently, haven't kept them/kept up with working out a bit each day.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Sounds interesting. Do you have to do it every day? What about every other day?

Any other DVDs worth looking at?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

If you're overweight or at a less than average fitness level, I'd check with a dr first. I know it can be hard on your knees at least.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM
The Littlest Hound

Everything Fran said. Lol

I love insanity but for the life of me can't stick to it past about 3 weeks in.

I bought rockin' body & am going to see if I can get through all 30 days, then maybe revisit insanity.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
If you're overweight or at a less than average fitness level, I'd check with a dr first. I know it can be hard on your knees at least.
I'm not that overweight I want to lose about 2 stone (24 pounds). I've done boot camp before, which was tough, so I have an idea of what it might be like physically on me. Hard I'm probably the least fit I have been in a long time though, but don't think I'm dangerously unfit.

I would like to do it every other day though, that's the only thing.... I have my inhaler for when my lungs cease up

Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Everything Fran said. Lol

I love insanity but for the life of me can't stick to it past about 3 weeks in.

I bought rockin' body & am going to see if I can get through all 30 days, then maybe revisit insanity.
Is that the same sort of thing?

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I'm doing "10 minute trainer" by the same company. Been doing the program since January 2. Down 52 pounds as of this morning. It's less intense and the time commitment is under 15 minutes of clock time daily (unless you do multiple workouts, but each session is 15 minutes including 2 minutes warmup, 10 minute workout and 2 minute cool down). You get one day off a week (day 3). And if you feel up to it or want to work harder, you just do more.

I've tried Insanity after completing P90X and was unable to get through the "fit test" without puking.

Like any program, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you work the program, follow the schedule and stick with it, you'll easily drop those 2 stones (well, not "easily" as the program is not "easy").