Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Default loose stool, but only on walks

I'm not really sure what is going on here with Hudson, because it only happens when we are out and about on walks.

1st time it happened was last weekend. We went out for a walk on one of the trails. He stopped shortly after we started out walk, squatted and had a normal bowel movement. We walked another 5 minutes (if that) and he stopped again, this time it was fairly normal but seemed kind of slimey-mucusy. Out next stop& squat it was very loose and by the end of the walk it was straight liquid. Later that day at home, totally normal.

2nd time was middle of the week, same thing, starts out normal, but quickly goes to liquid.

3rd was today and same thing, but progressed quicker Started normal, but by the second time, total runs.

These have all been different trails, different times of the day, no correlation that i can see, except being out on walks. His poop is totally normal at home, even if it is during our walks around the property.

Any ideas?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Twin 2

Excitement poop!

Traveler and my parents dog have always had those when we go for off leash hikes.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Excitement poop!

Yup. Both my dogs do it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Grrrr, jerk. Doesn't he know that this limits our walking options? And some times hit means hit butt has to be hosed off. I say again, jerk.

Glad to hear he falls into good company

Jerk. Please tell me he'll grow out of it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
orange iguanas.

Yup happens to Juno. Little embarrassing when she does it at the dog park, I feel like I need to announce to people she's not this disgusting all the time, and no she's not diseased.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

This is a phenomenon in doggy daycare, for the record. It's common...and horrible.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

My dogs never progress to straight liquid, but both tend to have multiple very soft stools on long off-leash hikes. I think I heard somewhere that it is a normal reaction to extra excitement and activity - predators "emptying" themselves prior to hunts or something.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

After thinking long and hard on this, i know why he does it. Dad gave him the nickname of Little Sh1t over Christmas. Hudson is just trying to live up to it

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
August 27th 2012

Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, been dealing with this issue with Jackson FOREVER.

I've tried different foods (even went with a variety of Royal Canin, to see if it the 'grainfree, higher protein' type foods were the problem), I've given him digestive chews with probiotics in it, to try and help it. Eliminated all chews (bully's, etc) to see if that was the problem. Nothing really matters.

He will always poop at least twice on a long hike or dog park visit and usually is super soft. It's not usually liquid poo, but wayyy softer than usual.

I really wish I could figure it out, because having to bring 3-4 poop bags for one dog is kinda ridiculous and by the 2nd or 3rd poop, it's not really 'pick-up-able' so just ugh. I have not tried a powder-type probiotic yet (I was just giving him those 'Get Naked' digestive chews, that say they have them in them...) but I was considering trying that as a last step, sprinkling some probiotics on his food, but am not sure if that should be an every day thing or not?

It has to just be excitement, new smells type thing. Because he can run ALL day long, swim all day, and get way more exercise than a 3 mile walk at my dads house and he just has normal poops. And if we stay at home for the day and don't do much, it's just a normal poop in the AM and one more in late afternoon.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yup happens to Juno. Little embarrassing when she does it at the dog park, I feel like I need to announce to people she's not this disgusting all the time, and no she's not diseased.
I do this too!

Weird thing is, though, I never really see any other dogs doing this, so it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Really wish I could get it figured out.

Brit & Jackson