Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
This! Paps are just *barely* too small for me and I'd want one from a breeder, too. It doesn't bother me that they're a small dog, just that they're several pounds under what I'd be happy with.

I really like border terriers, but I don't really like how they look when they get older and start graying. Would it keep me from owning one outright? Probably not since it's purely an aesthetic thing, but still.

Also: PWDs. I've loved most of the ones I've known, but every single one has had an awful screeching bark that I just could not live with!

I've noticed this with BT's too I don't really like how they look when they age.... but I think I've decided they'd be such a perfect fit for me that I'll have to get past that.

That's one reason I actually do like Silky's, Cairns, Westie's better -- most of them seem to age really well. I've met a few cairn looking dogs at the park that are 13, 14, 15 and I would've NEVER known it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Mia held a grudge against my stepmom for two years because she was dogsitting and then Mia ran away from her and wouldn't go in the crate. So she shoved Mia in the crate and now Mia still has to remind her how terrible she is.

Of course it didn't help that *I* left the dogs outside all day on accident and my stepmom found them and let them in. Mia went off letting her know how absolutely WRONG that was to leave her outside all morning. She went out of her way to let my stepmom know she was not happy with her. It still kind of amuses me that Mia thinks it was Rhonda's fault, not mine.
Yeah your stories of Mia remind me a lot of Ry actually lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Shelties... I would seriously LOVE to own one but Omg so much fluffy coat. If I found one that suited me temperament wise that didn't have such an over abundant coat then Omg yes.

Mastiff, but I hate drool and probably won't ever own a drooly breed unless my husband insists.

German Shepherd- I would probably end up having to import and prefer not to import. Don't really like a lot of the ones I tend to see out here, but then again I haven't seriously looked so maybe there are breeders in the US I'd like.

Xolo- this is one of the few breeds I'd make an exception on my importing rule. The only issue is that I'm PICKY about looks with them. I like a nice looking Xolo and don't prefer the bad skin, bad teeth, tongue out the side look you tend to see sometimes along with the funky confirmation I sometimes notice. I will own one one day though so I may have to bend for the right Xolo, but a few of the breeders I really like are not in the US.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post

German Shepherd- I would probably end up having to import and prefer not to import. Don't really like a lot of the ones I tend to see out here, but then again I haven't seriously looked so maybe there are breeders in the US I'd like.
You can find some spectacular american bred (imported lines) GSD, I've known and trained with a fair number who've not been imported and have great structure and temperaments. I think it's a common misconception but it's also well known you don't always get the best dog possible when importing because it can be hard to fully know/trust your breeder.

/enabler
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I've noticed this with BT's too I don't really like how they look when they age.... but I think I've decided they'd be such a perfect fit for me that I'll have to get past that.

That's one reason I actually do like Silky's, Cairns, Westie's better -- most of them seem to age really well. I've met a few cairn looking dogs at the park that are 13, 14, 15 and I would've NEVER known it.
See, and I think the Border Terriers are adorable as they age, one of the few breeds where I like the old dog look. I think it's the whiskery look, and then when they go grey, they just look like funny old men.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You can find some spectacular american bred (imported lines) GSD, I've known and trained with a fair number who've not been imported and have great structure and temperaments. I think it's a common misconception but it's also well known you don't always get the best dog possible when importing because it can be hard to fully know/trust your breeder.

/enabler
Yep!

There's plenty of great GSD breeders in the US. It actually isn't hard at all to find a nice GSD. Of course, that is providing that what you want/expect is actually a proper GSD I say that because I have heard people saying "now THAT is what a real GSD is" about huge, heavy boned, low drive, not remotely protective and/or just plain doofy GSDs. So I don't make assumptions about what anyone's idea of a good GSD is LOL
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

I'd own anything, except it wouldn't be a Toller.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

I would really really love a Dobe if the beeeed didn't have a short lifespan. That terrifies me.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Not a Border Collie

I think that I would LOVE a Sheltie but I'm wary of the barkiness. I like my dogs very very quiet lol.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

I think I'd really like a Standard Poodle. But I won't take a dog in every so many weeks to get groomed.