Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
...I absolutely adore Berners, but I've personally never known one that lived past 9...
Someone I know through Rally & Nosework classes told me her last Berner lived to be 12, and that is typical of that breeder's line. She has two Berners now from the same breeder.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Someone I know through Rally & Nosework classes told me her last Berner lived to be 12, and that is typical of that breeder's line. She has two Berners now from the same breeder.
That's pretty nice to hear. 12 isn't an amazing age (Millie is 11 and I hope she'll be with me for years to come), but it's soooooo much better than what I'm used to hearing with Berners. Pretty good for a dog that size in any case.
I know lines can make a big difference. All the rotties who died of bone cancer were related, and they all got it the same age. I know it crops up elsewhere, but no dogs in this particular line escaped it. They were also not bred for anything but money and "OMGPUPPIES" in mind, either. Finding a breeder who puts a lot of effort into health (and other important things, but right now I'm talking about health) is a big deal.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I know a breeder who leaves tails on brittanys, my friend has one from her.

Here's her as a puppy
I think I've found my dream dog.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Finding a breeder who puts a lot of effort into health (and other important things, but right now I'm talking about health) is a big deal.
It's hard, because even if a breeder is trying to do all the right things, it's difficult to breed for longevity. You do the available health testing (OFA, etc), to try and avoid problems. But stuff like cancer that comes at a later age... you can't test for it, and by the time it happens, the dog has already been bred. And do you throw out every dog who has ever had a relative die of cancer? Then you have no gene pool.

I really feel for those people in breeds where the shortened lifespans are becoming so common. That has to be tough.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Papillon is another for me, everything about them is great but I can't handle such fragile dogs. Maybe it's not all of them but wrong grabs (picking up) or bumps and the ones we have at work are screaming and then dramatically pouting.

It's actually kind of comical but I couldn't own them because I lack a lot of gentleness, if my dogs are in the way I knock them with my foot and keep walking, I fear a pap would hate me for life. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Papillon is another for me, everything about them is great but I can't handle such fragile dogs. Maybe it's not all of them but wrong grabs (picking up) or bumps and the ones we have at work are screaming and then dramatically pouting.

It's actually kind of comical but I couldn't own them because I lack a lot of gentleness, if my dogs are in the way I knock them with my foot and keep walking, I fear a pap would hate me for life. lol
They're really just drama queens. Especially the males. You should see Beau go to the vet, it is the most dramatic thing ever. But yes, if you offend the papillon or cause any discomfort- they will let you know.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Curly Coated Retriever. They sound like brilliant dogs, but I just can NOT get over how the coat looks. If a Chessie doesn't work out as the "breed for me", I will probably still seriously look in to them and just get over it, but the coat...*sigh*

English Shepherds. Feathery hair coats are weird for me. I'm fine if they don't need any coat maintenance to say mat free, but if they are in that weird range where you have to brush them every day to keep them free of mats, but you can't shave them down because then you would ruin their coat and make them look weird...I can't do it. Chloe has a really thick feathery coat and I do shave her, but she's a mutt so I don't feel bad about it.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
That drama routine is one reason I think my sister's little dog could be part Papillon lol. She's tough as nails but if you offend her sensibilities...omg...she will hold a grudge forever. Kim did something to her once...years ago...body blocked her from getting to my sister IIRC...and she still hates Kim with a cold fury and is completely melodramatic whenever she sees Kim. And it's all an act...she's not stressed or anything, she's just making her point lol.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-28-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
That drama routine is one reason I think my sister's little dog could be part Papillon lol. She's tough as nails but if you offend her sensibilities...omg...she will hold a grudge forever. Kim did something to once...years ago...body blocked her from getting to my sister IIRC...and she still hates Kim with a cold fury and is completely melodramatic whenever she sees Kim. And it's all an act...she's not stressed or anything, she's just making her point lol.
Mia held a grudge against my stepmom for two years because she was dogsitting and then Mia ran away from her and wouldn't go in the crate. So she shoved Mia in the crate and now Mia still has to remind her how terrible she is.

Of course it didn't help that *I* left the dogs outside all day on accident and my stepmom found them and let them in. Mia went off letting her know how absolutely WRONG that was to leave her outside all morning. She went out of her way to let my stepmom know she was not happy with her. It still kind of amuses me that Mia thinks it was Rhonda's fault, not mine.

Summer doesn't hold grudges, she just wants to make sure you still love her so she's in your face all the time trying to make up with you if she perceives a 'wrong'.

Rose is actually really the toughest one. She's a little sensitive about being picked up but handles the vet with ease. The two boys will pout all day. Bernard got his shots the last time he came in and it was pathetic.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I'd want a LOT more breeds if they didn't shed. If Violet didn't shed, omg... My life would be changed! Lol!

I also really would want a Dobe and or APBT if there wasn't such a predjudist against them and if it weren't for the da and ssa.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)