Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I love the Brittany with a tail. It makes her look more beautiful! I love nubbies, though- my rotties' non-tails had so much personality. I don't know what it is about Brittanys, but docking detracts from their appearance, IMHO.

Now mine. . .I can pretty much only think of pretty big reasons I wouldn't have a dog. I don't care much about drooling or shedding. The only one I can think of is Shelties- they're such neat dogs, but I've never heard such complaints about barking for little to no reason. And their barks are so high pitched!
Millie barks a little too much, but at least it's when an animal or person is going by and not just to hear herself. Her bark is also pretty deep for her size, so it doesn't have the nails on a chalkboard effect.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Add me to the "I'd own a Standard Poodle if it weren't for the grooming" list. I'd rather deal with shedding than having clip regularly. I went nuts when we had my grandmother's Toy/Mini just trying to keep the tangles out of her coat.

Newf & Bullmastiff- the drool turns me off. Plus, they just plain don't live long enough. I'm not sure I want to deal with the longer top coat of a Newf, either.

Beagles- oh the baying! I've known tons of Beagles in my life, and only three that weren't excessively noisy (as in they only barked when someone came to the door).
Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Big Dog

I'd own an Akita if it wasn't for the general tendency towards independence/aloofness.

I love the breed soooo much but I also love clingy dogs.

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I'd be much more inclined to own a Papillon if they came in bigger sizes. I know I could find one in rescue, but I kind of would like a pup from a good breeder. So if paps came in 15-20lb range normally, I think I'd really want them a lot more.

Ummm... I know this sounds weird, but I have a love for Westie's and Cairns but I've never been big on the 'bullet' shaped body. I prefer a bit more of a 'lean' look vs. 'stocky'. Which is one of the reasons I originally started looking into Border Terriers (which I think would fit me more anyway, but yeah, that WAS a reason I stopped looking at Westie's and Cairns). So that's purely aesthetic.

Another aesthetic thing for me is tails. I really wanted a Silky (and still might) but prefer an undocked tail and it's just hard to come by in the US.

I really think at SOME point in my life I will have a giant breed, really just have a love for English Mastiffs and Dogue de Bordeaux, but then I think about the drool, and the hair, and am like... eehhh, *maybe* not. LOL. Definitely wouldn't fit into my life now, but in the far far future, I could see myself with one I think. The only thing that turns me off is really the drool.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I'd be much more inclined to own a Papillon if they came in bigger sizes. I know I could find one in rescue, but I kind of would like a pup from a good breeder. So if paps came in 15-20lb range normally, I think I'd really want them a lot more.
This! Paps are just *barely* too small for me and I'd want one from a breeder, too. It doesn't bother me that they're a small dog, just that they're several pounds under what I'd be happy with.

I really like border terriers, but I don't really like how they look when they get older and start graying. Would it keep me from owning one outright? Probably not since it's purely an aesthetic thing, but still.

Also: PWDs. I've loved most of the ones I've known, but every single one has had an awful screeching bark that I just could not live with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Here's her as a puppy
OMG, I'm in love. What a lovely plumed tail Rowan could've had!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Let it be

The noise Tollers make. Yeah... could not cope with that on the regular.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm All Ears

I can't think of any. Most breeds I wouldn't want, I wouldn't want for a multitude of traits. If there's only one trait that's not ideal, I usually cope anyways. I wish paps were bigger but meh... I enjoy them so much it's no big deal. In some ways I think the size adds to their charm, too. So much personality in such a little dog. <3 I don't enjoy sheltie propensity to bark but it's not that bad. I think it gets over-exaggerated. Either that or papillons are underrated barkers because my two hold their own with my shelties.

I don't have a perfect breed, really. Every breed I know of has SOMETHING I dislike/would change. Don't like docked/bobbed tails but I'd get an aussie or a pyr shep. Don't like beards but I'd get a pyr shep. Would prefer a dog over 20 lbs but I'd still have a papillon. Etc etc etc.

I guess the biggest one is that I would not consider any heartbreak breed. It's just something I don't allow myself to even consider because I know I wouldn't want to deal with it. Summer is a very vibrant, active and full of life near 9 year old. I can't imagine her being at the very old end of her breed's life expectancy. But that's not a little thing, imo.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Allons-y!

I would love to own an Irish Wolfhound someday, but I don't know if I could deal with that short of a lifespan. I lost my first dog when he was seven, and that was nowhere near long enough.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

speedydogs, that is something I struggle with. There are several breeds that fall under that category- breeds I would love to own, but are known for short lifespans or a high risk of terminal health problems.
I absolutely adore Berners, but I've personally never known one that lived past 9.
For when I move away, my mom would ideally suited to a Cavalier, and she wants one, but it's just a little scary to think about.
I know there's always chance. I had Lucy, who was a chihuahua and could have lived to be 15 or more, yet I lost her at 6. It's just hard not to absolutely stack the deck in my favor when choosing a breed known to be relatively healthy overall, even though there are health problems in every breed.
Dogs already live too short a time. I just don't know if I have the courage to knowingly get a dog who's rarely known to live to Millie's age.

It probably sounds like I'm making way too big a deal of this. It's just after losing all the rotties I grew up with to bone cancer, and to lose Lucy so young, I'm ridiculously paranoid about the possible heartbreak.

Went out on a bit of a tangent there. Sorry.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
The noise Tollers make. Yeah... could not cope with that on the regular.
That.

Plus the shyness that seems pretty common, but mostly the noise.