Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Boxer breeder? Opinions?

My son is looking at getting on a wait list for a boxer pup once the house is done, he's always wanted one ever since he was 12....

Looked around a bit, as I know nobody in the breed, what do you think of this breeder?

http://www.landosboxers.com/
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Eh, I'm not impressed. Yes they offer a health guarantee, but where are the health clearances?

Often these health guarantees are a way for breeders to appear responsible while neglecting to health test their dogs. They say "guaranteed for hips for three years"- well, are you really going to return a dog you've loved for three years? Probably not, and breeders use this to their advantage.

I would keep looking.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I quickly glanced at the website, but I couldn't find any information about health testing. I also didn't see anything in regards to titles or activities. I don't necessarily care about conformation titles, but I do like to see breeders doing something with their dogs (agility, tracking, therapy work, etc, etc.).

What makes their dogs breed worthy?

Why do they own so many dogs? Are some co-owned in other places? Are some pets only?

Why so many males? Most great breeders will search for a male who matches up best with their female. For instance, Emma's sire is from 2000 miles away and they had to use artificial insemination. The goal of breeding is to put together the two best dogs you can, and generally they're not under the same roof to begin with.

Of course, some websites just aren't updated often. One of my breeders basically just lists her phone number, e-mail address, and some show updates. However, she would freely give pedigrees and health testing information once asked. She just doesn't have time to update it and only breeds 1-2 litters a year if that... so she's not trying to attract buyers.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

I also noticed that, Jessie. They say that they work their dogs and have competed with them, but there are no titles or photos or videos, so it's hard to say if that is really accurate or not.

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM
The Monster.

I admit I also only gave their site a cursory glance, just looking at each individual dog's page. I'm seriously unimpressed. First, I don't think their dogs look particularly nice, second I don't think they put any effort into presenting their dogs in any sort of quality way, and third I think they have way too many dogs to be able to spend the time to prove that any/all of them are dogs worth breeding.

Plus I don't think the dogs look particularly well cared for or maintained. Plus some of them have huge jowls which I don't care for in Boxers.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

I didn't do a ton of looking, but the best way to learn about health testing is to contact the breeder themselves. My breeder's website has not been updated in years, and his website does not mention health testing. Yet, he certainly does do so. I learned this by actual contact, although I had already done the legwork of checking the ofa site before starting contact.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Thanks I think I'll help him keep looking, I believe I'll try and find the boxer breed club for Ontario and go from there?

He really wants this breed, and I really think getting a pup from a good solid breeder is important for him
Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
Thanks I think I'll help him keep looking, I believe I'll try and find the boxer breed club for Ontario and go from there?

He really wants this breed, and I really think getting a pup from a good solid breeder is important for him
My good friend Sarah Moore breeds gorgeous Boxers, her website is http://www.vintageboxers.com/ . She has a nice breeding coming up soon, not sure if you're wanting one that soon, and I don't know if she has puppies available. Even if you don't want to travel that far for a puppy (she is in the US), maybe she has some suggestions for you. Plus, she has a young kid, so she might know of what lines have the most kid-friendly temperaments.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

In relation to the longevity thread, I would make sure to ask breeders about the longevity of their lines and the instance of bloat, heart conditions and eye problems in particular.

I love boxers, but I found it hard to find a breeder in Ontario that I liked. You might want to look further into Uppercut Boxers. I don't know much about them, but they have nice, titled dogs and do thorough heart screening and health testing.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Thanks both of you! MT is a little to far but I may just contact her to see if she can guide me to anyone closer...