Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Well there's this breeder: https://www.facebook.com/working.smooth?fref=ts

That is the breeder I'd go to if I decided I wanted another Collie, if they were willing to sell to someone in the US. IME it is very hard to find Collies with much "oomph", which is why I never got another one. My Collie was awesome and fun loving and fairly drivey. I could never understand why performance people would make comments about how drivey he was because I thought that's just how Collies were. Then I started looking for another one and couldn't really find what I was looking for in temperament or really looks. FWIW mine was from a pet "BYB", who didn't show or breed for the ring.

That said, I still think they're a wonderful breed. Most are willing to do stuff and very trainable, even if they aren't all that driven. They are awesome family dogs, great with kids, great with other dogs, great with people, great house dogs - can chill out or be ready to play depending on what you want. And they're silly That is most Collies IME, they are nice dogs and I often suggest them for people looking for a large-ish, biddable family dog that they don't have to worry about being too quirky. But most are really laid back, lower drive and yeah...not much "oomph". They just aren't quite what I want in a dog for myself.
I was going to make a Collie thread but I think I already know the answers. Glad to see someone has had similar experiences.

I keep thinking I want a Collie and then I come to the conclusion you did, with pretty low drive. There is a Rough in my ob class and she does great with that, but certainly wouldn't push it around an agility ring or anything. My boss has a Rough too that is much uh..bouncier?.. but still doesn't have the intensity I prefer. I think that's what bothers me about them, they don't have 'edge' or intensity. Great dogs though. I suppose an adult rescue/rehome would be an option but there isn't many. Most of what's in rescue is blind/deaf/seniors. Not that that's bad, but not really what I would look for myself at this point.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I was going to make a Collie thread but I think I already know the answers. Glad to see someone has had similar experiences.

I keep thinking I want a Collie and then I come to the conclusion you did, with pretty low drive. There is a Rough in my ob class and she does great with that, but certainly wouldn't push it around an agility ring or anything. My boss has a Rough too that is much uh..bouncier?.. but still doesn't have the intensity I prefer. I think that's what bothers me about them, they don't have 'edge' or intensity. Great dogs though. I suppose an adult rescue/rehome would be an option but there isn't many. Most of what's in rescue is blind/deaf/seniors. Not that that's bad, but not really what I would look for myself at this point.
I haven't really seen a collie I'd call 'intense'. Reveille VIII comes the closest- she's a very animated dog, seems to love fetch, friendly and lively. Still not intense though, but she's a nice dog and the first collie I've met that I'd want.

I know a few performance collies- both smooth and rough. They are very biddable but not very drivey at all. There is one large rough that does agility and he's a nice dog, very balanced, but yeah definitely not a fast dog. He's not super slow or anything, he's not walking the course- he's just not very zippy. We had a smooth in our agility class a while back that was owned by a friend that has aussies as well. He was about the same as the roughs I know when working but he was very noise sensitive and took tons of time to get acquainted with things like the teeter- they totally freaked him out. I am not sure if that is normal but he was very soft and sensitive.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
L&C, thank you! English Shepherds are on my "definitely" list for the future, but I'm not sure I want one next. I have always read that they are very strict rule enforcers, and I could see that clashing with Rowan's don't-tell-me-what-to-do attitude toward other dogs pretty easily. Your description makes me want one, still, which is awesome - I think I will absolutely adore an ES later on.
If you have any questions just let me know. My experience is only Hudson and following a bunch of other people with ESes on FB. So far, Hudson is not a rule enforcer at all, lol

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
he was very noise sensitive and took tons of time to get acquainted with things like the teeter- they totally freaked him out. I am not sure if that is normal but he was very soft and sensitive.
Collies are a soft, sensitive dog for the most part. But I wouldn't call noise sensitivity "normal." Just as with any other dog, socialization is key. Logan is bombproof. I was so thrilled at his ATTS test when they fired the gun rightnext to him and he just didn't care at all. I suppose the softness makes them easy to train, but it also makes it easy to mess them up and kill drives when you didn't intend to.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Well, you're really only 7 hours away, you can do a road trip
Don't tempt me!! I've been vaguely planning a road trip to Dallas for a while now and so it would basically be on the way. I would love to meet Logan! He sounds awesome.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I was hoping you'd drop by and talk about Journey! She really does sound like a dream. Is she particularly vocal? That's been one of my concerns about Aussies, and although it's not SUCH a big deal that I put it in my list, it is a consideration. I like talkative dogs, woo-woos and grumbles and what not, but persistent barking tends to irritate me. Riff is a big barker and it drives me nuts, but it's really only in certain situations (when he gets really really amped playing, for example.) So I can definitely live with it, it's just not my ideal.
She's not very barky at all anymore. When I first got her she was a bit, but as she's grown up she very rarely barks. The only time she gets really barky is if she is frustrated and overstimulated. Which basically only happens if she is playing with a dog a lot faster than her. Like the dobermans sonetimes or her Whippet friend. And in agility if a couple of the dogs got really riled up or got zoomies, she tried to bark but is easily redirected with food and rewarded for quiet. So, while barking is her natural reaction to frustration and chaos, she is pretty easily controlled and honestly it's very rare that I hear her bark. Only sometimes in those certain specific circumstances. She just likes order and control and if she feels like everything is all over the place and not in control, she likes to say something about it. At home or just in general, it is very rare that I hear anything out of her. She doesn't even talk (I wish she did lol). She is a very quiet dog so far. But lots of Aussies do seem to like their voices for sure.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Don't tempt me!! I've been vaguely planning a road trip to Dallas for a while now and so it would basically be on the way. I would love to meet Logan! He sounds awesome.
DOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

lowercase

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I think that's what bothers me about them, they don't have 'edge' or intensity. Great dogs though. I suppose an adult rescue/rehome would be an option but there isn't many. Most of what's in rescue is blind/deaf/seniors. Not that that's bad, but not really what I would look for myself at this point.
When you compare collies to some of the other herding breeds - especially border collies, ACDs, malinois - no, they're definately not as intense. Personally that's what drew me to collies: they're not as intense, but they're still definately thinkers.

Keegan is SO observant it was a little unnerving to me when I first got him, LOL. He seriously seems to know what I'm going to do even before I know what I'm going to do. He's sometimes difficult to train because he figures out the behavior faster than I can shape it, and in the end I realize that I'm holding him back.

But while more intense dogs sometimes drift into the realm of neuroses, Keegan does not. I had a roommate with a lab who would literally fetch a ball until he would have a heart attack and die. Keegan will very happily fetch a ball until he's tired, and then he stops and takes a break. The lab would drink water until he was literally water-drunk (I didn't even know that was a thing until I met him) and eat pounds of food at a time if you let him (or if he broke out of his crate and got into the food bag); Keegan eats and drinks what he needs and then stops... but still always has an appetite for training treats.

And yeah, the rescue option is a difficult one. I've been closely following collie rescue for about 4 years now, and there are only 2 or 3 dogs that I would have been interested in adopting. I made a lot of friends mad when I chose to get a dog from a breeder instead of a rescue, but in the end it was kind of my only choice.

Quote:
After that, you could just make the little drive from Dallas to Austin! It'd be like a collie pilgramage, LOL.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
After that, you could just make the little drive from Dallas to Austin! It'd be like a collie pilgramage, LOL.
See now that's just not fair... my brother lives in Austin so I'd probably head down for at least a day or two during my visit anyway! "Collie pilgramage", I like that!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff