Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Professional Nerd

At my fittest I could run rings around skinny people and kick men's asses in boxing. But, I've never been thin and never will be. Even if I starved myself to death, I'd never be skinny.

Fortunately I'm quite confident and know that my worth has nothing to do with my dress size. Somebody wants to mock me? Go right ahead. I'm sure I'm a hell of a lot smarter than they are. And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
NO! NOT SAGGY BOOKS! ANYTHING BUT THAT!

(Sorry, I couldn't help it Carrying books properly was drilled into me in elementary school so we wouldn't make the spines "saggy" lol)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
get saggy books,
Saggy books are sad.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
At my fittest I could run rings around skinny people and kick men's asses in boxing. But, I've never been thin and never will be. Even if I starved myself to death, I'd never be skinny.

Fortunately I'm quite confident and know that my worth has nothing to do with my dress size. Somebody wants to mock me? Go right ahead. I'm sure I'm a hell of a lot smarter than they are. And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
I'm glad you're happy with yourself, as thats all that matters.

I say this carefully because I don't mean to offend, but unless you do have a medical problem, a proper diet and exercise is the way to being thin. I'm a lot fitter than some of my thinner friends too. I can hike up mountains, hang board all day at my job and still have energy. Personally, I don't take that as acceptance for my fat. My family often says to me that they don't understand how I could be overweight, as I'm very active. Well, I eat too much. I take in more calories then I expend, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

With my weight loss "journey" as of now (down 25lbs) When I see how strong my body is right now, even thought I abused it all these years... I can curl/squat/deadlift more than any other woman in my gym (that I've seen). My cardio is just ok, lol. And that makes me excited for what I can become, rather than make society adapt to my unhealthy ideal.

Medical issues aside. There's always the exception to the rule. But yes, most people choose to be fat.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
BUT, that said...I don't think these people are looking at her. They're in a freaking city. There are a million things to gawk at. There are even fat people everywhere. Why would all these people choose to look at HER?
This is kind of my viewpoint too.

It's not like overweight people are a rarity so I highly doubt these people, who are walking through crowded cities, are singling her out and going "OMG LOOK AT HER." I would never notice this woman in a crowd. I see people that look like her nearly every day and I would bet most people could say the same thing. I mean maybe if she were 500lbs people would take more notice. I think it is more likely that these pictures just show people who are looking around as they walk. And yeah maybe they looked AT her. But in a mocking/judgmental sort of way? I don't know if I see that.

Maybe people just think she wears silly clothes.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Does it say how the camera is positioned?

One of our projects in school was all about setting up a camera/shoot in public and the goal was to capture the reaction of both strangers having their photos taken without verbal consent and also the reaction of those watching others getting their photos taken, both of which often lead to very interesting photos.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Wookie Collie

This sort of bothers me.

Most of these people are just glancing. I glance at people all the time. Fat people. Skinny people. White people. Black people. I could easy be one of the people in her photos.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I'm glad you're happy with yourself, as thats all that matters.

I say this carefully because I don't mean to offend, but unless you do have a medical problem, a proper diet and exercise is the way to being thin. I'm a lot fitter than some of my thinner friends too. I can hike up mountains, hang board all day at my job and still have energy. Personally, I don't take that as acceptance for my fat. My family often says to me that they don't understand how I could be overweight, as I'm very active. Well, I eat too much. I take in more calories then I expend, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

With my weight loss "journey" as of now (down 25lbs) When I see how strong my body is right now, even thought I abused it all these years... I can curl/squat/deadlift more than any other woman in my gym (that I've seen). My cardio is just ok, lol. And that makes me excited for what I can become, rather than make society adapt to my unhealthy ideal.

Medical issues aside. There's always the exception to the rule. But yes, most people choose to be fat.
Genetics do play a role in weight and height for people. Some people no matter what will always be bigger than others. Just like skin tones differ and vary, height differs etc. Genetics are more important than what people think.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Does it say how the camera is positioned?

One of our projects in school was all about setting up a camera/shoot in public and the goal was to capture the reaction of both strangers having their photos taken without verbal consent and also the reaction of those watching others getting their photos taken, both of which often lead to very interesting photos.
She mentions it briefly.

Quote:
So I found a crowded crosswalk farther down La Rambla, used my rangefinder camera to set the exposure and focus of where I would stand, and handed the camera to my assistant.

Quote:
...to set up my camera in plain sight... To create my images, I seek out interesting compositions in public areas... I set up my camera in plain sight on a tripod or bench, or an assistant will take hundreds of photographs in several minutes. I then comb the images to see if I captured a reaction.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Honestly? I don't find it "powerful" in the slightest. The woman seems like a self-important attention ***** who is trying to draw attention to herself and trying to find something to be offended about. Most of these people aren't even looking at her - they're looking in her general direction, they're looking past her, they're looking around her. Even if they are looking at her... So the hell what? There is no context for what these people are thinking and reacting to. ANYONE could walk around with their own personal photographer, have hundreds or thousands of photos taken of them, and be able to pick out a few where it looks like people are looking at/toward them and making funny faces.