Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
stafinois's Avatar
stafinois stafinois is offline
Professional Nerd
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 1,610
Default

At my fittest I could run rings around skinny people and kick men's asses in boxing. But, I've never been thin and never will be. Even if I starved myself to death, I'd never be skinny.

Fortunately I'm quite confident and know that my worth has nothing to do with my dress size. Somebody wants to mock me? Go right ahead. I'm sure I'm a hell of a lot smarter than they are. And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
NO! NOT SAGGY BOOKS! ANYTHING BUT THAT!


(Sorry, I couldn't help it Carrying books properly was drilled into me in elementary school so we wouldn't make the spines "saggy" lol)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
get saggy books,
Saggy books are sad.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Zhucca's Avatar
Zhucca Zhucca is offline
Lab Love
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
At my fittest I could run rings around skinny people and kick men's asses in boxing. But, I've never been thin and never will be. Even if I starved myself to death, I'd never be skinny.

Fortunately I'm quite confident and know that my worth has nothing to do with my dress size. Somebody wants to mock me? Go right ahead. I'm sure I'm a hell of a lot smarter than they are. And when they get a pot belly, lose their hair, get saggy books, or whatever, I'll still be a freaking genius
I'm glad you're happy with yourself, as thats all that matters.

I say this carefully because I don't mean to offend, but unless you do have a medical problem, a proper diet and exercise is the way to being thin. I'm a lot fitter than some of my thinner friends too. I can hike up mountains, hang board all day at my job and still have energy. Personally, I don't take that as acceptance for my fat. My family often says to me that they don't understand how I could be overweight, as I'm very active. Well, I eat too much. I take in more calories then I expend, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

With my weight loss "journey" as of now (down 25lbs) When I see how strong my body is right now, even thought I abused it all these years... I can curl/squat/deadlift more than any other woman in my gym (that I've seen). My cardio is just ok, lol. And that makes me excited for what I can become, rather than make society adapt to my unhealthy ideal.

Medical issues aside. There's always the exception to the rule. But yes, most people choose to be fat.
__________________

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
BUT, that said...I don't think these people are looking at her. They're in a freaking city. There are a million things to gawk at. There are even fat people everywhere. Why would all these people choose to look at HER?
This is kind of my viewpoint too.

It's not like overweight people are a rarity so I highly doubt these people, who are walking through crowded cities, are singling her out and going "OMG LOOK AT HER." I would never notice this woman in a crowd. I see people that look like her nearly every day and I would bet most people could say the same thing. I mean maybe if she were 500lbs people would take more notice. I think it is more likely that these pictures just show people who are looking around as they walk. And yeah maybe they looked AT her. But in a mocking/judgmental sort of way? I don't know if I see that.

Maybe people just think she wears silly clothes.
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Does it say how the camera is positioned?

One of our projects in school was all about setting up a camera/shoot in public and the goal was to capture the reaction of both strangers having their photos taken without verbal consent and also the reaction of those watching others getting their photos taken, both of which often lead to very interesting photos.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,414
Default

This sort of bothers me.

Most of these people are just glancing. I glance at people all the time. Fat people. Skinny people. White people. Black people. I could easy be one of the people in her photos.
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I'm glad you're happy with yourself, as thats all that matters.

I say this carefully because I don't mean to offend, but unless you do have a medical problem, a proper diet and exercise is the way to being thin. I'm a lot fitter than some of my thinner friends too. I can hike up mountains, hang board all day at my job and still have energy. Personally, I don't take that as acceptance for my fat. My family often says to me that they don't understand how I could be overweight, as I'm very active. Well, I eat too much. I take in more calories then I expend, and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

With my weight loss "journey" as of now (down 25lbs) When I see how strong my body is right now, even thought I abused it all these years... I can curl/squat/deadlift more than any other woman in my gym (that I've seen). My cardio is just ok, lol. And that makes me excited for what I can become, rather than make society adapt to my unhealthy ideal.

Medical issues aside. There's always the exception to the rule. But yes, most people choose to be fat.
Genetics do play a role in weight and height for people. Some people no matter what will always be bigger than others. Just like skin tones differ and vary, height differs etc. Genetics are more important than what people think.
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Equinox's Avatar
Equinox Equinox is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Does it say how the camera is positioned?

One of our projects in school was all about setting up a camera/shoot in public and the goal was to capture the reaction of both strangers having their photos taken without verbal consent and also the reaction of those watching others getting their photos taken, both of which often lead to very interesting photos.
She mentions it briefly.

Quote:
So I found a crowded crosswalk farther down La Rambla, used my rangefinder camera to set the exposure and focus of where I would stand, and handed the camera to my assistant.

Quote:
...to set up my camera in plain sight... To create my images, I seek out interesting compositions in public areas... I set up my camera in plain sight on a tripod or bench, or an assistant will take hundreds of photographs in several minutes. I then comb the images to see if I captured a reaction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 AM
SevenSins's Avatar
SevenSins SevenSins is offline
APBTs & One Crazy Banana
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 277
Default

Honestly? I don't find it "powerful" in the slightest. The woman seems like a self-important attention ***** who is trying to draw attention to herself and trying to find something to be offended about. Most of these people aren't even looking at her - they're looking in her general direction, they're looking past her, they're looking around her. Even if they are looking at her... So the hell what? There is no context for what these people are thinking and reacting to. ANYONE could walk around with their own personal photographer, have hundreds or thousands of photos taken of them, and be able to pick out a few where it looks like people are looking at/toward them and making funny faces.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site