Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Obey the Toad.

I think some of it may be something that you had to be present in the moment to fully appreciate. For example, maybe she heard things being said around her when the pics were being shot. But no, not all of the photos appear mocking.

I think that this is an important issue to draw attention to--fat people, especially women, are one of the only groups left that it's socially acceptable to make fun of. A good example would be the "People of Walmart" pics in the breast feeding thread (interestingly enough a thread that was about women being able to feel comfortable with their bodies). If the women in those pics were 105 lbs, they likely would not have made it on the "People of Walmart" site.

Honestly, I think it's inspiring.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I think that this is an important issue to draw attention to--fat people, especially women, are one of the only groups left that it's socially acceptable to make fun of. A good example would be the "People of Walmart" pics in the breast feeding thread (interestingly enough a thread that was about women being able to feel comfortable with their bodies). If the women in those pics were 105 lbs, they likely would not have made it on the "People of Walmart" site.
This

I would LOVE to feel confident enough to just wear whatever, f u if you dont like it. Sadly, I am not.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Lab Love

I agree with most posters who say she is assuming they're thinking badly of her. Sure, some might be, but I doubt the majority are even given her a second thought as they pass by her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

BUT while I agree that thin privilege and the hate women feel for their bodies and eachother is a serious issue and I do feel that in some of those pictures,people were being truly awful.
I also, as someone who lives in the city and walks around a lot, think that a lot of those people were just looking up and walking..and I don't really think those people deserve to be featured without their permission in such a public forum.

EDIT AGAIN:
I think part of my uncomfortableness with the whole thing honestly is just me facing my privilege on this issue..
Maybe she is that mocked in her everyday life, maybe there is more to those pictures than we can see..
What is 'thin priviledge'?

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

I'm fairly sure ALL of us give weird looks and ALL of us get weird looks.

Even if they were looking at her and thinking about her weight, that doesn't mean that they were mocking her. I think most people notice people's appearances--body shape, clothing, attractiveness. Just because someone has a thought about you in their inner monologue or glances at you doesn't mean they're out to get you. And when people are looking about and thinking about random crap their faces aren't always splendidly composed lol.

I mean, that's assuming these people are actually cognizant of the fact they are looking at this woman. Who knows what they're looking at (except in the last picture that Fran posted, looks like everybody's looking at a window display lol). They may be looking at her because they see a camera in her direction. Eh. You go out in public and people will look at you. Unless they are making mean comments or staring AT you (vs zoning out in your direction), there's not much point in speculating and worrying yourself about it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post

What is 'thin priviledge'?
Thin privilege is a social phenomenon that exists as a function of fat stigma. It's basically the assumption in this culture that fat=bad and thin=good.

Thin people are more likely to get a job, many over-weight people are not allowed to adopt children in certain cases, being over-weight has been a factor in losing parental-rights/custody battles, over-weight people are often not treated by doctors because their real ailments are dismissed as an issue about their weight, people make assumptions about overweight people and are portrayed that way in the media, things not being made to fit your body type (public transport seats, carnival rides, medical equipment) etc..

It's basically the privileges and perks in this society we don't really notice but have because we are thin.

This is NOT to say that thin people have it made or bad things don't happen to thin people.. just that there are privileges that we don't notice or feel.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Thin privilege is a social phenomenon that exists as a function of fat stigma. It's basically the assumption in this culture that fat=bad and thin=good.

Thin people are more likely to get a job, many over-weight people are not allowed to adopt children in certain cases, being over-weight has been a factor in losing parental-rights/custody battles, over-weight people are often not treated by doctors because their real ailments are dismissed as an issue about their weight, people make assumptions about overweight people and are portrayed that way in the media, things not being made to fit your body type (public transport seats, carnival rides, medical equipment) etc..

It's basically the privileges and perks in this society we don't really notice but have because we are thin.

This is NOT to say that thin people have it made or bad things don't happen to thin people.. just that there are privileges that we don't notice or feel.

I don't really understand. It sounds like something made for people who cannot claim responsibility of their own life choices, and try to make thin people feel guilty about something they shouldn't be.

Fat penalty seems like a better word for it.

Oh my god, if this doesn't post I'm going to be mad. Chaz is being really screwy, I've tried to post this like 7 times.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhucca View Post
I don't really understand. It sounds like something made for people who cannot claim responsibility of their own life choices, and try to make thin people feel guilty about something they shouldn't be.

Fat penalty seems like a better word for it.

So, you think that everybody who is fat chooses to be that way?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I'm fairly sure ALL of us give weird looks and ALL of us get weird looks.

Even if they were looking at her and thinking about her weight, that doesn't mean that they were mocking her. I think most people notice people's appearances--body shape, clothing, attractiveness. Just because someone has a thought about you in their inner monologue or glances at you doesn't mean they're out to get you. And when people are looking about and thinking about random crap their faces aren't always splendidly composed lol.

I mean, that's assuming these people are actually cognizant of the fact they are looking at this woman. Who knows what they're looking at (except in the last picture that Fran posted, looks like everybody's looking at a window display lol). They may be looking at her because they see a camera in her direction. Eh. You go out in public and people will look at you. Unless they are making mean comments or staring AT you (vs zoning out in your direction), there's not much point in speculating and worrying yourself about it.
This summarizes my thoughts. While I have no doubt she's suffered mocking from strangers in her life, unfortunately I'm sure every one has. The biggest take away from the photographer to me though is that it's pretty shitty people DO mock others- strangers!- and destroy their self esteem, so much so that regardless of what I see in these photos the photographer sees and feels these people are judging her even if they aren't.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
So, you think that everybody who is fat chooses to be that way?
No, there are medical problems that contribute to weight gain. Like Thyroid issues, pcos, among others.

I can't say I've actually personally come across someone with a legitimate health problem that makes them obese. Weight gain might be a symptom, but you can't say someone cannot control certain aspects of it with diet. You can't gain mass without eating excess food. I'd say most people are fat because of bad lifestyles. They eat the wrong things, and don't exercise. Most people choose to become fat, and remain fat by their poor decisions. If they're happy with that, so be it. If they're unhappy, which seems to be the case with the community spouting thin privilege, they should do something about it.

I guess my problem with it is where does it stop? Smokers acceptance/non-smoker privilege, junkie acceptance/sober person privilege.

This coming from a fat woman.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Disclaimer: *points to avatar*

BUT, that said...I don't think these people are looking at her. They're in a freaking city. There are a million things to gawk at. There are even fat people everywhere. Why would all these people choose to look at HER?

Honestly, it rubs me the wrong way. I'm fat, and I don't feel like people are looking at me everywhere I go (and if they are, it's more likely because I have a 70 pound dog next to me in unexpected places). I know this is worded terribly...but I think she seems rather narcissistic. Really, lady, people don't care. This isn't high school.

Quote:
You can't gain mass without eating excess food.
Eh, if you're very hypothyroid, you can actually eat so little you have malnutrition while you're gaining weight. When Gavroche was at his worst, he at 1/2 a cup of food a day (for a 67 pound dog), and was still gaining. That's not "excess food" because there's no way he was getting all the nutrients he needed from that small amount of food.