Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Professional Nerd

Default Pictures of people who mock me

Read this article today...

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/pict...e_who_mock_me/

I thought it was very powerful. Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Let it be

Good for her. This actually drives me nuts when I hear people doing this. I actually see it MOSTLY from other women comparing themselves. Like oh, I may be fat but at least I am not THAT fat. Shut up your face. GRR
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think it's a great project and does help keep people liable for how they interact with other human beings.

BUT while I agree that thin privilege and the hate women feel for their bodies and eachother is a serious issue and I do feel that in some of those pictures,people were being truly awful.
I also, as someone who lives in the city and walks around a lot, think that a lot of those people were just looking up and walking..and I don't really think those people deserve to be featured without their permission in such a public forum.

That said, I have no idea how much hate or what she feels walking around in public and who am I to say these people weren't looking at her in a certain way or the picture didn't hold more of a story.

My feelings about the project are mostly good, and I do think it's an important issue
..but I also feel there are some innocent bystanders in those photos.
but who knows.

Either way, it's a great project.

EDIT AGAIN:
I think part of my uncomfortableness with the whole thing honestly is just me facing my privilege on this issue..
Maybe she is that mocked in her everyday life, maybe there is more to those pictures than we can see..

Last edited by Fran101; 04-24-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Honestly, I expected the photos in the article to be... self-portraits.
And after reading the article and looking at the pictures I don't think my first gut reaction was incorrect.

Here's more photos:
http://haleymorriscafiero.com/

I know she claims in the article to not be able to guess what people are thinking but by calling them photos of people who mock me it sounds like she is guessing what they're thinking. A photo of a guy in sunglasses glancing at her as she stands there taking a photo is automatically a guy mocking her..?
It makes me really sad that she looks at these photos and the immediate impression she gets is "these people are mocking me."

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Let it be

Yeah not al those photos look like mockery. Just people's normal faces looking in her direcyion
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

The blog caused me to be a little emotional, I am also "fat" and I know what it is like to be in her shoes. I have always thought I was confident, but when my social anxiety became more apparent to me, I realized that while I am ok with how I look, I assume other people are not, and that actually makes me really uncomfortable. So it is a false sort of confidence. I don't feel that I should have to change my appearance to be happy (I am healthy, despite my weight.) but I wish I could change how people perceive me.

How about we all just start judging people based on their character, and not by their appearance?

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

I hope she feels like she says she does, in the way these things don't bother her and she is happy with herself. But really, I don't see what she's seeing in those pictures. They may very well be, but one thing I've learned is that a photo, that snapshot in time can be made to mean about anything with the right caption.

I see pictures of people gazing in her direction with facial expressions. I think we could all gather a few pictures like that if we took enough of them. Slapping a belly? I've actually run across more than one person doing that.

If I saw a sequence of shots where people are obviously mocking, I might change my opinion, but for now? I think she's seeing what she wants to see in those photos.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I feel like a lot of people over-estimate what other people think of them. You are usually your own worst critic. Some people are probably mean to her, sure, but... some people are mean to everyone. Some people are simply just mean.

I don't see most of these people disgusted by an overweight person in their path.

Most people don't care about anyone they pass on a busy street. They might have been lost in their own thoughts or looking at someone/thing else.

It seems to me she cares more about what people think about her than she cares to admit.

I can't imagine that many people care. She's over-weight, yes. But she's not so over-weight that she would win any awards.

I feel bad that she is struggling with her illness, but I am not seeing what she, apparently, sees.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I hope she feels like she says she does, in the way these things don't bother her and she is happy with herself. But really, I don't see what she's seeing in those pictures. They may very well be, but one thing I've learned is that a photo, that snapshot in time can be made to mean about anything with the right caption.

I see pictures of people gazing in her direction with facial expressions. I think we could all gather a few pictures like that if we took enough of them. Slapping a belly? I've actually run across more than one person doing that.

If I saw a sequence of shots where people are obviously mocking, I might change my opinion, but for now? I think she's seeing what she wants to see in those photos.
My thoughts too.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
BUT while I agree that thin privilege and the hate women feel for their bodies and eachother is a serious issue and I do feel that in some of those pictures,people were being truly awful.
I also, as someone who lives in the city and walks around a lot, think that a lot of those people were just looking up and walking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I know she claims in the article to not be able to guess what people are thinking but by calling them photos of people who mock me it sounds like she is guessing what they're thinking. A photo of a guy in sunglasses glancing at her as she stands there taking a photo is automatically a guy mocking her..?
It makes me really sad that she looks at these photos and the immediate impression she gets is "these people are mocking me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
a photo, that snapshot in time can be made to mean about anything with the right caption.

I see pictures of people gazing in her direction with facial expressions. I think we could all gather a few pictures like that if we took enough of them.
Yes, yes, and yes. Absolutely agree and am glad that others have said this in better words than I could manage.

In this context, ANY sideways glance could be seen as "judgemental". I could have easily been one of those people pictured "mocking" her because my eyes stray like crazy. Seriously. Whether I am holding a conversation or simply walking down the street, my eyes are practically darting everywhere and looking at everything. I will probably glance at every single person within five feet of me, and I sincerely hope that no one thinks I'm judging them by that glance.

Additionally, if I saw a camera set up on a tripod (or being held by a photographer) and someone standing in front of that camera, my eyes would be naturally drawn in that direction. If I just happened to be looking to see what was going on, and was not consciously putting a smile on my face, then maybe my expression could be interpreted as mockery as well. And I do find that a little unfair.

I do think it's an interesting idea for a project and I am glad that her photos have helped others feel more comfortable about their body. However, I don't really agree with her analysis of the people around her at all.

ETA: For example, this photo? There could be a million reasons behind the child's expression: