Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
D. If you choose to not get a consultation, or get one and ignore the advice or can't afford the treatment then YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.
I'm just wondering why this was a neccessary remark in the thread...

I don't think anyone here has said that they wouldn't get a consultation or would/did ignore the advice of one, or wouldn't treat their dogs.

Just because many might not opt for an MRI doesn't mean they aren't still following a treatment plan that can better fit their resources/budget, especially when it has been made quite clear by you and others that an MRI doesn't equal results/answers by any means.

I think everyone would do all they could in their positions if their dogs needed to see a vet, but opting for long-term treatment/rehab over MRI doesn't mean they should feel guilty; an MRI might not have found out anything at all.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
such sights to show you

I heartily endorse the suggestion to go to a rehab vet. They are much better at soft tissue lamenesses than most GPs.

Also be sure to mention that you've been doing this kind of stuff with him: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248795

The jumping on a concrete floor can be hard on the wrists.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Went to the rehab vet today, everything went great. We did some exercises, took some measurements of movement, vet looked at our previous X-rays, and range of motion has returned, so he was not worried about anything. He's assuming it was a very slight soft tissue injury so we're resting for another week with Previcox and building back up his endurance for long walks. So in a week he gets to start going on short walks and coming back to the park with me.

A couple of jumps for a frisbee two months ago did not cause the sudden limp three weeks ago. Vet thinks he was just not used to running for so long and didn't know how to limit himself.

I also wouldn't start pointing fingers at people ruining their dogs when you're letting a young dog who isn't even done growing (let along maturing) pull weight. IMO, it's just as detrimental as activity that they do on their own. Ie; Recon jumps that high ON HIS OWN playing with toys.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I also wouldn't start pointing fingers at people ruining their dogs when you're letting a young dog who isn't even done growing (let along maturing) pull weight. IMO, it's just as detrimental as activity that they do on their own. Ie; Recon jumps that high ON HIS OWN playing with toys.
Are you talking to me? LOL. I wasn't aware that advising you to be sure to inform your veterinarian of all the activities your dog participates in that potentially could contribute to an injury was "pointing fingers."

Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Are you talking to me? LOL. I wasn't aware that advising you to be sure to inform your veterinarian of all the activities your dog participates in that potentially could contribute to an injury was "pointing fingers."
Yes I am, and yes you were.

Neither of my vets cared that he was even in agility or about anything he has done in the past as it had nothing to do with the incidents surrounding the injury- both just asked if there was trauma when it started, which there was not.

So yes, if you'd like to say that I'm hurting mine when it is obvious they had nothing to do with each other, I will do the same.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Well, that's ugly of you.

/Shock
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Yes I am, and yes you were.
I dig that you are feeling defensive in this thread, but you are projecting.

Quote:
Neither of my vets cared that he was even in agility or about anything he has done in the past as it had nothing to do with the incidents surrounding the injury- both just asked if there was trauma when it started, which there was not.
I find this astonishing. Two veterinarians (one of whom is apparently a rehab vet?) don't think that agility could possibly have anything to do with a limp? Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

Quote:
So yes, if you'd like to say that I'm hurting mine when it is obvious they did not happen at the same time, I will do the same.
Okay? I'm not sure what mushing (which is not weight pulling btw) with my 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old, not limping, orthopedically sound and x-rayed dogs has to do with your limping puppy, but I'm sure lashing out at me made you feel better for a second?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I trust Sass, being a vet, would be a fantastic resource to use. Reminding you to be aware and share with your vet is helpful, not a slight.

I seriously question the validity of any vet discrediting the connection between repetitive jumping and a limping puppy.

I'm glad the vet told you what you wanted to hear, I hope the injury is not reoccurring and your continued rest will put it in the past for good.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I find this astonishing. Two veterinarians (one of whom is apparently a rehab vet?) don't think that agility could possibly have anything to do with a limp? Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.
Neither questioned it twice. As I said, the limp only happened during long runs, and they think he just over-did it.

Yes, when you have no idea the context of things you see and decide to try to offend me by telling me I caused this, I'm going to get a little defensive.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
IMO, it's just as detrimental as activity that they do on their own. Ie; Recon jumps that high ON HIS OWN playing with toys.
Just need to chime in that this is absolutely not true. This comes up in my puppy classes all the time when I tell people to keep jump heights low, somebody starts panicking that their dog jumping on and off the bed is hurting the dog. Activity a dog does on his own during play is not the same as asking a dog to perform structured jumping during any kind of sport.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog