Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Next step for LoLa is an MRI. So far my ortho vet has said to hold off, we are having some good luck with current treatment.
I will do it if I have too but I'd rather try less expensive options first. Which is why I recommended that to DJetzel. An ROM issue is nothing to scoff at and if mine Recon would be crate rested strictly till a plan of action was done.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Next step for LoLa is an MRI. So far my ortho vet has said to hold off, we are having some good luck with current treatment.
I will do it if I have too but I'd rather try less expensive options first. Which is why I recommended that to DJetzel. An ROM issue is nothing to scoff at and if mine Recon would be crate rested strictly till a plan of action was done.
We are currently doing this until our vet visit on Monday. Recon is crated beneath my feet at my sewing corner as we speak.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
An MRI here is 3500$ for dogs.
We have paid 2300 for Fred's consultations, scans and op. $3551.

My advice is just get it done. We paid it without blinking, yeah, it's a lot, but for a young dog the outcome for not checking it out could be a life long disability. Not. Worth. It. Money well spent to us.

And rest.... Well Fred is on "strict" rest. However the vet is happier for him to be loose. The reality is he's crated during the day, and at night. But is loose when I get home till we go to bed. It's IMPOSSIBLE to be totally immobile. He gets bored and frustrated in the crate when I get home, and digs and messes. Which is worse than having him out sat chewing.

But you have to at least TRY!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

My advice is just get it done. We paid it without blinking, yeah, it's a lot, but for a young dog the outcome for not checking it out could be a life long disability. Not. Worth. It. Money well spent to us.

And rest.... Well Fred is on "strict" rest. However the vet is happier for him to be loose. The reality is he's crated during the day, and at night. But is loose when I get home till we go to bed. It's IMPOSSIBLE to be totally immobile. He gets bored and frustrated in the crate when I get home, and digs and messes. Which is worse than having him out sat chewing.

That would be nice, but coughing up a bunch of money and quickly sometimes just doesn't work out for many. If most of us had it, we also wouldn't blink or hesitate to do it.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

lol I got excited I might have an extra 50 this month after bills to pay towards my CC.

Thank god for care credit but even that has a limit and only a six month interest free rate before the 26 or so percent raping interest begins to take hold.

I think the message was fair and I am all for doing everything I can for my dogs. However, it is true that some of us just can't help but be realistic that at this point in our lives we're still struggling to gain stability beyond paycheck to paycheck.

I keep telling my dogs to get a job but the bums just laugh at me and say feed me more woman.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
That would be nice, but coughing up a bunch of money and quickly sometimes just doesn't work out for many. If most of us had it, we also wouldn't blink or hesitate to do it.
You think we have it to spare?

If it was a child... Would you hesitate?

We choose to take on this responsibility the moment we take another living being into our homes.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

You have to have a diagnosis to treat. I will pay for stuff if necessary but I have to have a firm diagnosis to treat.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I wouldn't have kids if insurance was an issue, I would have to make a choice otherwise.

You say spare it but many people are unable to spare it even if they want to. Credit only stretches so far after income runs out.

I don't think anyone is debating the "give it all you have" but not everyone has 3,500 fluid or even in credit for a singular medical visit. This necessity, inability, is why so many other options, more conservative, exist prior to and in addition.

I think Fred is lucky to have you, I also think many other less financially fortunate dogs are lucky to have their owners as well.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
You have to have a diagnosis to treat. I will pay for stuff if necessary but I have to have a firm diagnosis to treat.
The scan gave us the diagnosis. The consultation gave us the reason to scan...

One step at a time, wouldn't have had an op without the first steps. Had hoped it cleared up with the first vet visit....! Wouldn't have asked for a scan if we didnt think it was necessary.

When I posted here, people recommended a scan. I took that advice because its important to listen to it. I didn't want to keep waiting and waiting. The first step was the consultation with an orthopaedic vet though. Which led to the rest.

All she needs to do is have a consultation. The scan might not be necessary. If it is, you pay for it.... Or you try.. Or you accept your dog may have a lifelong disability.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You think we have it to spare?

If it was a child... Would you hesitate?

We choose to take on this responsibility the moment we take another living being into our homes.
This isn't really very realistic though. In fact that kind of thinking that we must scan, order tests and get to the bottom of everything immediately is how we have such a problem with runaway costs for healthcare in this country the way it is.

In the rush to use technology many doctors and I'm sure it affects vets too, they forgot how to doctor. If all we used was protocol to order MRI's I could probably add over a million dollars myself to the bottom line here. The problem is, very few of them actually need it. And in even fewer cases are they events that it must be done sooner rather than later.

Physical exams should tell you more than an MRI

for children, absolutely I'd take a wait and see approach every time unless there was some glaring red flag that told me otherwise