Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Let it be

Default Presa Canario

I know NOTHING about this breed. My boyfriend has expressed a huge interest in owning one and it's peaked an interest to read up on them. Educate me Chazzers!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

They started as cattle dogs in the Canary Islands. The Spanish later added mastiff blood to make them good guard dogs. Then still later they added pit bulldog blood to make them better fighting dogs. The presa in essence is a legitimized bandog. The most impressive catch dog I ever saw was a presa named Oso. They often have high dog aggression & can be very hostile toward strangers. Most are highly trainable.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My only experience was meeting one puppy that came in for vaccines. She was an AWESOME pup, and super cute.

That is all I have.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

I've met very few I've personally liked, but then they aren't the type of dog I'd be looking for to own either and not everybody likes the dogs I like. But I will say people better know what kind of dog they want, and be prepared for what might lie ahead.

A big strong dog with very strong DA and shorter nerves when dealing with strangers could be a disaster with someone not ready for what could be down the road. When these things show up in smaller dogs, it's not such a big deal. In a big strong dog, it can be very bad to say the least.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Squishy face

Visit Elpresa.com and read. A lot. It is a pretty good forum for the Presa Canario. The people there pride themselves on having versatile dogs who can both perform both as a protection dog and a safe companion animal that can be taken out in public. There is a lot to learn on that forum.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Jennifer, of cabesa grande, was an old Internet friend off AOL. I talked to her for years and watched the breed and her kennel progress with new findings and passions. She was the first to work them and title them in schutzhund, I believe, and she took many trips to the canary islands to bring back fresh blood. I would go to her if I was curious about the breed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Puppy Dog

what type other dogs has your boyfriend had? It's definitely NOT a dog for first time owners.

Myself I prefer the cane corsos over the presa canario.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Let it be

I am the one with way more dog experience and knowledge between us but neither of us have any experience with these types of dogs. Hence wantig to know more about them