Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Working full time with puppy

Who does it/has done it?

How did you do it? what was your schedule like?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

I have done it.

I went with the 1hr per month in the kennel at a time. So at3 months I came home every 3 hours for a potty break, and let it get longer as they aged. Now thankfully I am able to take them to work with me, but if things changed I would go back to that schedule.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Resident fainting goat

I don't know what's going on but I'm excited!!!!

(oh and before Merlin was big enough to come to work/be a doggy dog walker...he "lived" in the bathroom with a litter box with some grass inside on long days)
I bought the square of grass and just stuck it in a similarly sized cat litter box.
It was ghetto.. but worked well lol the grass had to be replaced every week or so.

The phase didn't last long and wasn't every day but there was a while when my schedule was weird and it was winter and I sucked soo..

6AM-7AM: Morning bathroom break/play session to get him tired
7:30: breakfast in frozen kong
12:30- Neighbor gives him lunch.
4:30- Walk/dinner when I get home

Ideally the neighbor would've walked him but I was lucky to find someone to just go in and put a kong n there that I had already made and left out. It's lunch hour and other than hiring someone it was tough to find someone.

It was really easy to phase out the box. He went from bathroom to crate as he got older.. learned to hold it, my schedule got a bit better, and now he still likes to go on mulch outside lol
It didn't seem to have an effect on house training.. he didn't get treats for using it (only for going outside) and it was never available when I was around (I tied him to me)

I liked the setup more than just the crate for that schedule and his age. I was concerned about him being bored, not being able to hold it, and I just felt bad.. so at the time it really worked well.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Mutts to you

I was lucky, I have a neighbor who is retired and she came over once or twice a day to let Riley out (my work is 45 minutes away and I only get 1/2 hr for lunch so there was no way to get home myself). She didn't play with him or anything, just took him out to potty.

I kept him confined in an x-pen in the kitchen, with pee pads all over the floor, his water/food bowls, a toy or two and his crate (he liked to sleep in it). I thought about just putting a gate up at the kitchen entrance but decided the woodwork/cabinets were safer from puppy teeth with the x-pen.

Let him out to potty as soon as I got home, then we'd play outside for awhile so he could work off his zoomies. Dinner and another round of play/training, out to potty before bedtime and if I was lucky enough, Riley would be more than ready to sleep. He slept in a crate beside my bed and was sleeping through the night by the time he was 3 months old. He wasn't, and still isn't, a morning 'person' but that might be because he doesn't like getting up at 4am any more than I do.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Done it, did it!

Bodhi was always a latch key dog I set our kitchen up as a puppy room, toys, newspapers, left the radio on.

Its not easy, but its doable. I'm very lucky now as my oh works from home, she's lucky and loves it
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Top Dog

I've never not worked full time with a puppy.

I either came home at lunch or, if that was not possible, confined them in a bathroom or kitchen with separate sleep areas, paper for pottying, etc. aside from that I didn't give it much thought.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Top Dog

I did when I was fostering Tango. I wouldn't want to do it again. He had to be crated much longer than I would have liked, which resulted in him needed a way to relieve himself during the day and not soiling is crate. So I used a litter box. Work/school is one (of MANY!) reason why I chose adult dogs. I know it can be done, I just prefer not to.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

We have and honestly, I think she is a better dog in some aspects.

Of course, I could go into detail, but I really just want to know when and what kind?

Also, now that my husband is unemployed / working from home I'm sure he'd be happy to have a puppy around. Maybe almost as much as Cali would enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Top Dog

I did it with Hudson. It helped that Ben and i could stagger our work schedules a little bit. I used a large crate and pee pads, until he started to destroy them.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I have three times now, but each was very different circumstances.

Kim -- Hubby and I both worked full time with about the same schedule. However I worked only about 8 minutes from our apartment so I came home fir lunch every day for the first two months. After that we were back in school but she was old enough to go a whole day if needed.

Mira -- I worked full time plus, and travelled quite a bit, but hubby was looking for work at that time so was basically a stay-at-home dogdad for a bit. Which worked great for bringing home a puppy. Once he started his job, on his workdays I would come home for lunch (15 minute drive...made for a short lunch, but doable). That he was a stay at home puppy raiser for a bit makes it all the more strange that Mira has made her opinion that I, and only I, am HER person all the more interesting. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

MacNut -- Hubby and I both worked full time and I travelled for nearly three weeks straight shortly after Cooker came home. But hubby is a saint and came home midshift every day he was working. We work weird schedules now which means we don't get to see each other often enough, but the dogs do make out on the deal and rarely got a full work shift by themselves.

Basically I cheat and enlist my SO's help.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13