Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Lord Cynical

Sounds like my dogs.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri, at 5 months old, sounds busier than Merlin, but not needy with exercise, if that makes sense? Usually if I am doing something she is trotting around finding toys to play with or bones to chew. If she doesn't find anything to do, she'll curl up and take a nap. That's not to say she doesn't need exercise, if we skip a day or two of doing something she gets a little stir crazy.

It sounds like your friend is turning her dog into a monster who is going to eat her alive if she ever gets sick and can't exercise the dog 20 hours a day

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Also, Frodo's life is one big nap, with breaks to eat/train/exercise

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM
orange iguanas.

Sounds like a wonderful amount of napping.

When Juno was a puppy, she was more like your friends dog... I thought I needed to do stuff with her 24/7, and she started to think the same thing. She was a nutcase with no off switch. It was stupid and she was annoying as hell and needed to be taught to chill out.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

If I move, the dogs move. If I sit, they move around and try and get me to play with them or let them on the sofa.

They will settle and nap, once they know they're not going to get anywhere mithering me.

I've just had to give Fred something to chew to get him to leave us alone, but we have been out this afternoon. He is happy sat chewing now.

But, they will generally nap and snooze, especially if we go out

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it really does depend on each dog. I like a happy medium.... A dog who settles when you want them to, and goes when you want them to. They annoy me when they won't settle and I want to chill!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

He sounds like a normal dog with a good off switch. Want to trade?????????????????? Ivan at 8 rarely lays down to nap on his own. If he does I better not flinch or hes up and expecting to go. He will nap if I put him up in his crate. How in the world I ended up with a dog, with out an off switch escapes me.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

Yep, sounds normal to me. I think a lot of people with high energy breeds/dogs also tend to cater to them and overstimulate the dog to the point where they really DO need a ton of exercise, because that's the routine they're used to and eventually the dog gets to a point where they don't even know how to settle. I see it a lot, and I experienced it with Keira as a puppy. It's not fun. This isn't true for all really busy dogs. Some just are that way, but in a lot of cases it seems like owners accidentally encourage it.

Even Journey, while she is a busy dog who likes to do things, sleeps most of the day. We wake up around 7ish, I let her out, feed her, I go shower while she naps in the bathroom, then I go do my hair/get ready while she watches me, then she goes out again for like 2 minutes, then we make the trek to work (which likely provides quite a bit of mental stimulation) which takes an hour and then honestly she sleeps from about 10am til 2pm, I play with her for a bit, then she chews a bone or something, and then she sleeps until it's time to make the trek home in the evening. She really only gets about an hour of exercise total most days (sometimes more), but she never bugs me for it or bugs me for more. On the weekends if I'm home most of the day, I play with her for a bit or take her and go do something, but the rest of the day she pretty much sleeps or finds something to chew on once in a while. Sometimes plays with the other dogs, but not always.

All of my dogs are like that. They do stuff when I want to, and when I'm not doing stuff or am busy with other things, they sleep or chew a bone. With the exception of Keira, even as puppies all of my adult dogs were like this.

So yeah, I think Merlin just has a good off switch and it's nothing to worry about. Dogs that know how and when to settle are great! I don't know that I could live with a dog without an off switch. I'd probably go crazy.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]

Last edited by Toller_08; 04-21-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Little dog, big voice

Agree with everyone else. Cali is particularly drivey for a small dog, perhaps because she's the only small dog I know who is actually played with and does things on a regular basis... but she is content to doze around while I do homework or watch TV. However, I often feel guilty if I don't tire her out beforehand so I do make an effort to take her outside to play or for a walk if I know that I'll be busy for a decent period of time.

I think a dog lacking an off switch would drive me up the wall... I'm definitely the type of person who needs at a couple hours of relaxation a day to maintain some shred of sanity.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Got Floof?

Other than Priscilla's Stare of Eternal Adoration, she was pretty mellow for the most part to the point I wondered if she was low energy.

But realistically she just got so much activity when the time came, and she knew when to turn the energy off.

A lot of dogs are not "high energy". A dog that paces all day long is not a "high energy" dog. Sure, he's mobile, but walking around all the time isn't even comparable to structured training and environmental exposure. Seeing new places, learning new things, spending lots of time doing structured fetches, etc etc.

I would call most people's "high energy" dogs, "understimulated and poorly trained."

So basically, IMO, you're doing something right.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Glutton for Crazy

With absolutely no encouragement my dogs are extremely busy. I was teasing when I said nope, Merlin sounds just fine.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.