Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Default Spoiled Rotten Pets on Nat Geo Wild

New show, anyone seen it? What do you guys think of it? Have any of youbguysbbeen accused of spoiling your pets? I know I have.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

I have, and people can believe that I can have control over them yet allow them on the furniture and sleep in bed with us. Spoiled rotten doesnt mean my dogs are asshats who have no manners and run my house.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I haven't seen it.

To be honest, I get a little irritated when I hear the word "spoiled" when it comes to dogs. I know someone who thinks her dogs are spoiled because she feeds them dry food, canned food, turkey, and ground beef every single meal. The result is dogs who enjoy their meals but are obese. They certainly don't benefit from their diet. Her sweet old long haired dachshund had such overgrown nails they curled all the way around and punctured the pad of her paw. Yet if you ask this person, her dogs are "spoiled to death."

Most people who think their dogs are spoiled do one of 2 things:
1: Buy them a bunch of crap. Collars, leashes, clothes, jewelry, overpriced beds that say "Princess" on them; whatever. I love buying my dogs collars and random crap. But they really don't care if their poop bags are pink or what awesome pattern is on their beds. That's using them to spoil me.

2: Let their dogs get away with anything they want, refusing to train their dogs even basic manners. People who giggle when their dog growls at somebody or snatches food off of a guest's plate.

No, my dogs don't get away with anything they want. They don't have diamond encrusted collars. They don't have their own bedrooms. They do, however, sleep with me, get dirty rolling around in horse manure, have fun training and playing with me, they get massages and are constantly told how often they are loved. They are happy. So screw "spoiled."

Disclaimer: I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying dogs a lot of stuff. I love getting accessories and toys and various things for my dogs. I just don't think Millie, for example, cares how pretty the paisley collar I got her is.

ETA: Yes, I've been told my dogs are spoiled because I'm picky about their diet. *shrug*
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
I have, and people can believe that I can have control over them yet allow them on the furniture and sleep in bed with us. Spoiled rotten doesnt mean my dogs are asshats who have no manners and run my house.
But... that's what spoiled rotten infers. There's a difference between spoiled, and spoiled rotten. Spoiled rotten is basically getting anything you want your way... which is basically running things. It's in the name.. Spoiled rotten.

But to the OP, nope, never seen the show.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
But... that's what spoiled rotten infers. There's a difference between spoiled, and spoiled rotten. Spoiled rotten is basically getting anything you want your way... which is basically running things. It's in the name.. Spoiled rotten.

But to the OP, nope, never seen the show.
Makes sense, though it also made me think, spoiled isn't exactly a good sounding word either. Ruined, gone bad, decayed.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Top Dog

Ya I guess that makes sense, if that's what the show is about, but it's about people who buy a bunch of crap for their pets, from rats to snakes, it's covers them all.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM

People think that I spoil my dogs because I dont like to use the word "no" with them... Instead if I see them doing something I dont want them to do I call them over to me & ask them to do something I DO like. ESP with Buddy, because he has such confidence issues ... I try my best not to even let him hear any negetive words or actions & people think I spoil my dogs because I give them raw bones, offer them a stimulating, enriching enviroment & spend $80 for every bag of their food. Uh ... sorry but I'm not going to feed them crap ... if that makes them spoiled then so be it LOL.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I've had people accuse me of "spoiling" my pets, just because I bathe them every month - INSIDE, because I feed them better than average food and because I keep them inside and trim their nails LOL. Also I guess training is considered spoiling by some people cause I've also been accused that way.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Never seen the show, but I don't get Nat Geo Wild anymore on my cable.

This reminds me of an episode I saw of It's Me or the Dog with Victoria Stillwell and I remember there was owner who had out of control little dogs. They were always pooping all over the house and such. BUT, they were showing her brushing her dogs teeth, and combing their hair and putting it up in a topknot, and she would homecook their food and stuff and I remember Victoria giving this like face when she saw them brushing their teeth? I mean, yes they weren't the best trained dogs in the world and they had a pottying and barking issue but they WERE being taken care of. Went to vet when needed, nails were clipped, being fed good food... and there was another where she was making this one person throw away all her dog clothes except for one jacket.

Like, I see nothing wrong with all these extras and accessories and whatnot, so long as the dog is healthy, not miserable, getting exercise, etc.

I mean, I say Jackson is 'spoiled' sometimes. When I see him over on my bed, with his legs straight up in the air, tongue hanging out fast asleep, I'm like 'you're spoiled rotten!' He also has a bagillion collars, he's got some cute hoodies, shirts and jackets, and yep I brush his teeth for health reasons, I get him groomed every 8 weeks or so, I like to get him checked yearly for bloodwork, etc, he's very well taken care of. But I think the reason he's more spoiled is because he gets to do a lot. I'm constantly finding new places for us to walk and explore, or swim, or we're visiting family and friends together, he's always got something going on and is having a blast. He's really got an amazing life. So, spoiled? Sure. But more-so because he gets to do a lot of things that probably 85% of family pets will never get a chance to experience, not because I think he's an actual human child or anything like that. He's very much a dog's dog. But he also gets tip top care and a lot of the most 'expensive' things, not necessarily because I'm some kind of a diva, just because I enjoy spending my well earned money on him and enjoy buying him nice things and the the like.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM

How could you not spoil jackson ... hes sso freaking adorable ... every pic I have seen of him is like ... there really isnt a word to describe them ... hes like a freaking doggy model