Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I don't feel like a victim, but it does make you feel more vulnerable. I think, anyway

So sad and senseless

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

I really don't think feeling victimized means that you consider yourself a victim.
because I don't.
It's a personal feeling of vulnerability, of fear, of shock.

People who witness car accidents can find themselves scared to get in the car. Doesn't mean they are weak, or that they consider themselves victims or more hurt than the true victims, or that they just need to buck up and get some perspective.. it's how they feel. They were affected wether it was "real" to other people or not.
Some people witness car accidents and take control of their feelings by getting in their drivers seat and taking control. I don't think one is more strong than the other.. it's just how our brains react and process things.

Either way, it doesn't take anything away from the true victims to say that you feel affected, scared, or hurt by what happened. Their suffering, their pain, and their true loss is so much greater, of course it is.. but I don't think it makes the feelings of others further away moot.

Trust me I wish it was a feeling I could stop feeling because it truly is not a fun one.
Don't think victimized is the right word maybe.. but vulnerable, yea.

Safety and security might've been an illusion. Because hey, you could die of a brain aneurism any minute, fall down a man hole, get shot, get hit by lightning... but it was an illusion I found comfort in.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Living with a funeral director in a funeral home has made me look at mortality.

And realise that if you live every day fearing death, it's a pretty sad existence.

However, I'm not a big risk taker, I'm not interested in sky diving, or doing stupid stuff like that thank you!

I do drive fast though, I overtake and I enjoy it. I asked my other half the other day whether looking at car accident victims make you drive slower. He said..... You think about it, but ultimately, no. You keep doing what you do!

So....... I think feeling like a victim is a choice quite often.

You can choose not to.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

I think feeling victimized and vulnerable right after something heinous is totally normal and natural...and is not a choice. The choice comes from how you handle it..fighting through it or letting the fear take over and shape your life.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

I do not feel victimized or vulnerable. Bombings like the one in Boston are rare.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Hmm... I don't know if victimized is the right word. Aware? Maybe?

I drive past the remains of the Murrah building where the OKC bombing memorial stands. The OKC bombing was the first big news story/tragedy I remember from when I was a kid. I remember watching it unfold. I cannot help but reflect on it every time I drive or walk past it. And I will say I did reflect on it even more this last week.

There have been many times I've thought about terrorism in particular. Thinking... something like that would never happen here! Who would want to target Oklahoma of all places? We're such an unimportant state... And then I remember it DID happen here. 168 lives lost.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinPinOwner View Post
I do not feel victimized or vulnerable. Bombings like the one in Boston are rare.
This is pretty much my feeling on it. I'm far for likely to get hit by a car or mauled to death by a loose dog when I'm out and about. I understand that statistics are cold comfort for the victims of terrorist attacks, but it still is rare and I pray that it will remain so. I really feel for those that live in countries where this is common-I can't imagine.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
orange iguanas.

As rare as it is, the thing about it is that... it's not like it's something you can anticipate, or be aware of, really. These people were at a marathon. Outside, at a big public event, where there really should not have been any danger or any reason to worry about anything. Not that it makes me any more afraid than I was before the bombing, but that is just one part of it that disturbs me when I start to think about it. And I know the same can be said for 9/11 etc. The fact that it IS rare is what always leaves me feeling like "well that would never happen here/to me." Every time something like "this" happens. And I don't know if I like that I feel that way, either.

I don't feel victimized I guess but I have been thinking about it a lot since it happened. And maybe just because there's been so much to think about, with the direct aftermath and then the identity of the suspects and then the drama that played out on Friday, and now just speculation and waiting for answers... I fully view it as an "attack on America" and not just a Boston thing, so in that respect I DO feel affected, in a small way.

And this is coming across jumbled I imagine, but my thoughts about it all are pretty jumbled anyway.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Jerk.

Im actually more scared of being victimized from my government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Yes. While I Knew that this kind of thing COULD happen...it's different and surreal and horrible having it actually happen, here.