Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM
such sights to show you

Keep in mind, too, that cyclosporine has been used for decades for various problems before it was branded and marketed for skin allergies as Atopica, so there is a lot of empirical data out there (which is admittedly anecdotal). No drug is side effect free, but like any drug you have to weigh the benefits and risks. I have a diabetic cat (can't take oral steroids, owner can't afford inhalers) with asthma on it right now who would probably be dead without it and is tolerating it well.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Active Pup

I don't post here often. Mainly a lurker. My dane is on cyclosporine for his extreme allergies. He is also hypothyroid. I've started a blog for him since he's been on the cyclosporine that has photo evidence on how he has progressed. I get the generic from Costco for him (also avaliable at walgreens and riteaid). I would not be able to afford the brand name with a dog his size. The IMPORTANT thing to remember if you go the generic route is to get the Cyclosporine MOD. There are two generics out there, one is microencapsulated (like Atopica is) and one is not. I was just at Costco picking up another 4 month supply for him and it was $500 for 180 capsules of the 100mg size. He is on 300mg every other day. He started out on 300mg every day for a month and we've been able to wean it down to every other day since then and he is doing wonderfully. There are some side effects, it is hard on their stomach and it can cause diarrhea (which my guy gets loose poops on his 'on' days then back to normal). It can cause dizzyness and vomiting but that usually will go away with some time on the medication. Oh and it has to be given on an empty stomach. It can also be hard on their kidneys and liver. Festus got a blood test 3 months after starting the cyclosporine and all his levels were well within range which is fantastic. He is going again on May 4th for some follow up bloodwork on his thyroid pills as him being on the cyclosporine has for some reason made his thyroid levels skyrocket from when he was on them before and within normal ranges. Quite possible that it is his skin being generally healthier overall now than it was before.

Anyways, onto the blog: www.festusdane.blogspot.ca might be helpful for you for Frodo.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Sass, for Pip did you just have an in house type allergy test run?

If you don't mind sharing (or you can PM/FB me) was the test/injections more expensive than the Atopica in the long run?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM
such sights to show you

I went up to the UMN for dermal skin testing. They ended up doing the serum test to confirm, too, because his allergens are kind of weird (basically every mold in existence, enough to require two different allergen mixes, but absolutely nothing else. With seasonal symptoms. :/ )

Anyway, at the time (which would have been around 2008-2009) I think the whole thing ran me about $5-600. So probably a bit more expensive now, I would count on $6-800 these days. I have no idea if they gave any kind of professional discount, to be honest. I doubt it. The allergens cost me between $150-200 but that is for two mixes which most dogs don't need. He's on maintenance getting shots every 3-4 weeks at this point and one refill will last me almost a year. When you first start out, you'll go through them a bit faster.

If you end up going up there, I will warn you that they really love their food trials with specific foods - HA or z/d. Or at least they used to. I did food trials, but not with those, and I was very confident that his allergies were not food related. I just lied and said I'd used z/d.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I went up to the UMN for dermal skin testing. They ended up doing the serum test to confirm, too, because his allergens are kind of weird (basically every mold in existence, enough to require two different allergen mixes, but absolutely nothing else. With seasonal symptoms. :/ )

Anyway, at the time (which would have been around 2008-2009) I think the whole thing ran me about $5-600. So probably a bit more expensive now, I would count on $6-800 these days. I have no idea if they gave any kind of professional discount, to be honest. I doubt it. The allergens cost me between $150-200 but that is for two mixes which most dogs don't need. He's on maintenance getting shots every 3-4 weeks at this point and one refill will last me almost a year. When you first start out, you'll go through them a bit faster.

If you end up going up there, I will warn you that they really love their food trials with specific foods - HA or z/d. Or at least they used to. I did food trials, but not with those, and I was very confident that his allergies were not food related. I just lied and said I'd used z/d.
I really did do a z/d trial with Buzz years ago. And I almost died. He had THE WORST odor coming from him, his body smelled like absolute death. And it did nothing for his allergies... I religiously went through two of the biggest bags. And then he got about a million baths and went on Fromm.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo DOES have food allergies, but through elimination diets I've figured out what they are. I can control those. I can't control the darn environment!

I think I am going to call and make an appointment for when I get back from PA, because I don't want to start him on something with potential big side effects, then leave him for a week.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Have you thought about allergy testing him and then getting him in with a dermatologist? IMO the cost is worth it, because a specialized vet has more experience with the issues therefore having a larger bag of options to pick from.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

No advice, but I know those woes poor Ren has bad allergies, and while I can control his food, I can control what products are used in the house... I can't control the environment.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13