Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default Is this much napping ok?

Until today.. I thought Merlin was a "high energy" dog I guess. I mean, I don't have much to compare him to but he does like to exercise and when necessary, can and WILL party/play all day..

until I met up with a friend and her aussie and she was telling me her schedule and what his energy level is like and I was like...erm... lol no. Her dog seems to NEED all this exercise and mental stimulation and Merlin just..doesn't.. and she mentioned something about me encouraging him to sleep that much killing his drive and messing with his brain! He doesn't really like exercise by itself so I never thought I was forcing him to sleep but when I'm busy he naturally just naps or finds something quiet to do.. usually chews on a bully.

he seems to like to nap/sleep in, A LOT.
Here is his usual schedule on days where I don't work, on days I work he is up/walking and playing from like 11-5

- He needs to pee earlyish like 9-10 AM or so
- He likes to eat his breakfast after his morning pee, but then take a LONG nap after breakfast until his afternoon walk/trip to the park for fetch and training and playing with other dogs around 2ish
- Then he takes his afternoon nap from like 3-5
- Then dinner at 5:30
- Then we go for a long late afternoon walk from like 6ish, we usually do some training after as well for about 45 minutes
- and then he basically lounges around and naps AGAIN until like 8
- He gets his "last call to pee" at 9, comes home and chews on something or naps while I study
- Then he sleeps til like 10.

I mean, anytime I am not interacting with him he seems to just..sleep.
is this normal? am I wasting away his brain? Should I encourage him to stay awake more?

He is 7 months old.
Does your dog nap this much?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Top Dog

I think Merlin gets more stimulation daily with all the fun things you guys do, than the majority of the dogs in this country get in a month (mine included).

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm All Ears

I think it is just individual personalities. Summer could nap probably 22 hours a day and be perfectly content. She's also 9 though, lol. As long as she gets a couple hours of out and about, she just wants to find a comfy spot on the couch. On the flip side, if we're doing stuff all day, she's fine. But she crashes when we get home.

Mia as a pup didn't nap ever. It was in bed around 11ish then up before 5 then GO all day long. No exaggeration, she did not ever sleep during the day or even just lie down and relax. But even then it wasn't like I was 'doing stuff' with her the entire time. I'd give her a couple hours of exercise a day then she'd just be busy around the house the rest of the time. I don't think it's realistic to expect a person to be exercising their dog 24/7. So we'd hit up the park a few hours or something then I'd have a wild child at home the rest of the time. I have never been one for doing 'schedules' with my dogs. I don't have a schedule we stick to at all as far as exercise goes. Not even when they're puppies. I just wing it and don't worry. If the dog seems happy, they probably are happy.

Mia started napping and actually you know... turning off around 3-3.5. Now she's 4 and she's a pro napper. We just got up an hour ago. Gave her her food toy and played some ball and now she's sprawled out asleep on the couch. This is a pretty new thing for her, it still amazes me some. Now after work and stuff, she's wired. And if I move, she's up and raring to go.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

I think Merlin is totally normal. We have very high drive dogs and their schedules are much the same. My preference is for dogs that laze around until I want to do something, then they're ready. For us, that's what makes the perfect dog
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Top Dog

Milo would not nap as a puppy (until around 3 years) unless he was crated and everyone in the house was quiet, and it was definitely not healthy, mentally at least. Merlin sounds like a pretty average dog, especially with all the socialization, training, and exercise he gets...it sounds like he has an excellent off switch for his age. Other higher energy working (as in herding or field work) bred dogs might nap less, but you're definitely not letting Merlin 's brain rot by letting him sleep that much

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Lucy still doesn't nap that much at 9 years old, but then, she's never been normal. She sleeps while I'm at work, but the rest of day she is up and moving. She is currently running back and forth between me on the couch, begging for attention, and the door, whining at squirrels and birds.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and all that jazz...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Water Junkie

He sounds like a dog with a good off-switch, who knows when play time is and when it's time to chill.

Blaze sleeps most of the day because I'm away at class or doing school at home. But when it's time to go walk or play, he knows and is completely excited and ready.

You're not killing his drive.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I think Merlin is totally normal. We have very high drive dogs and their schedules are much the same. My preference is for dogs that laze around until I want to do something, then they're ready. For us, that's what makes the perfect dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
He sounds like a dog with a good off-switch, who knows when play time is and when it's time to chill.

Blaze sleeps most of the day because I'm away at class or doing school at home. But when it's time to go walk or play, he knows and is completely excited and ready.

You're not killing his drive.
^Both of these.

How he chooses to spend his off time is no big deal as long as he behaving appropriately and is ready when you are.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Nope, and you should trade him with Backup, I'm sure you'll be happy to have Merlin back. :P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

That sounds exactly like my dogs, they pretty much sleep when we aren't actively doing something else. But like Merlin, mine get a ton of exercise and stimulation (they are with me all the time). So when I'm chilling, they chill too.