Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
dogstrong

Default How often do you bathe your dogs?

And what shampoo do you use?

I give mine baths whenever they're gross. Today I'm bathing everyone because it's been too cold to bathe them all winter, as I throw them out on the deck to let them dry. I've got Deke, Copper, and Bloo done... now just Shadow and Em.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I used to bathe once in a blue moon, but now that I have free access to a raised tub and all the grooming stuff at my work I do bathe more often... once every other week or so unless I'm feeling lazy and then it's once a month. Nails we trim every other week (usually on bath days) on all the dogs and ears get cleaned whenever nails are done. Bamm also gets his long paw hairs trimmed every so often, but he has to be muzzled for nail trims and paw hair trimmings. Does MUCH better than he used to, but he is still a bit of a pill.

ETA: oh and shampoo. I have to check the brand at work, but it's an oatmeal based shampoo. Cricket has sensitive skin and oatmeal based shampoos seem to be best for her.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

When she gets gross or every 6 months when it was groomer time. Whichever came first? LOL

We used some hypoallergenic/oatmeal shampoo. Either or, whatever was cheap.

One bottle of shampoo lasted 10 years, so not often!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, pretty much just when they are gross for me too. Yarrow LOVES to roll in anything smelly and nasty, so he gets bathed more often. Jasper would never even dream of rolling in something stinky, so I rarely bathe him. But I notice as he's getting a bit older he'll just start getting a bit of a doggie smell sometimes, so I'll give him occasional baths.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

I try to not bathe Zane too much because it tends to make him worse in terms of overall grooming when I do it often. Mostly I only do it once every 3 months, less than that if I can manage it (often not because of horrible staining MUD).

If I can get away with it, it's straight water and air-dry. Otherwise, I *think* I use Espree brand? But I hate them all.

Baking soda and oatmeal one makes him frizzy + itchy (allergies to oatmeal).
Whitening shampoo is extremely drying and makes him mat.
Moisturizing one isn't good for deep cleaning.
Heavy silky/conditioner/moisturizing stuff weighs down his coat and makes it super greasy, even if I rinse FOREVER.
A few of the other ones stink. On top of his wet dog stink. And normally, he really has no smell at all.

BOOO.

Basically, I'm no help at all.

But I'll be watching this thread.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Elsie gets a bath every two weeks, Zobby ever week.

I wash them with whatever's on sale, and use care cure conditioner on Elsie. Both of them get a lavender spray that has avocado oil and some other goodies in it while they're being dried.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva gets done probably every 3-4 weeks, more if she needs it. It's honestly mostly to keep the shedding down rather than because she's stinky. She never really gets smelly and her coat is fairly self-cleaning.

Blossom gets done more like 4-8 weeks cuz she's nekkid and doesn't shed much.

I always use an oatmeal based shampoo or other gentle product, and a leave-in conditioner. I bathe my dogs at work in the tub and with the forced air dryer. Bathing them at home sucks.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Depends if they roll in something or not.

Really, they all get bathed once every 4-6 weeks. And by bathe, I mean wash, trim nails, clean ears, and blow dry with a force dryer.

Cooper gets groomed every 6-8 weeks. I try to groom Chloe every 8-12 weeks, and since I'm no longer living at home, that is when she gets bathed, too.

For shampoo, Gracie gets some kind of Keto-Chlor based shampoo for her allergies. Cooper gets bathed in whatever, but if it's at home I have a hypoallergenic oatmeal shampoo by Oster, I think. Cynder gets bathed in Allergroom, because I don't want to risk her coat turning into the nightmare it was when I first started dating Mike. Took about 5 months of regular Keratolux baths plus a diet change to get her to where she is now, and I don't want to backslide!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I try to not bathe Zane too much because it tends to make him worse in terms of overall grooming when I do it often. Mostly I only do it once every 3 months, less than that if I can manage it (often not because of horrible staining MUD).

If I can get away with it, it's straight water and air-dry. Otherwise, I *think* I use Espree brand? But I hate them all.

Baking soda and oatmeal one makes him frizzy + itchy (allergies to oatmeal).
Whitening shampoo is extremely drying and makes him mat.
Moisturizing one isn't good for deep cleaning.
Heavy silky/conditioner/moisturizing stuff weighs down his coat and makes it super greasy, even if I rinse FOREVER.
A few of the other ones stink. On top of his wet dog stink. And normally, he really has no smell at all.

BOOO.

Basically, I'm no help at all.

But I'll be watching this thread.
At work we have great succes with The Stuff for Huskies and similar breeds. It's a leave-in spray (has silicones though, if you're opposed to that) that really helps the undercoat slide right out, especially if you dry him with forced air. Our groomer also likes http://quadrupedpetcare.com/wp/products?pid=33 for breeds with heavy undercoat.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
At work we have great succes with The Stuff for Huskies and similar breeds. It's a leave-in spray (has silicones though, if you're opposed to that) that really helps the undercoat slide right out, especially if you dry him with forced air. Our groomer also likes http://quadrupedpetcare.com/wp/products?pid=33 for breeds with heavy undercoat.
I've heard of The Stuff, but I'm afraid it'll weight down his coat and make him a dirt magnet. It'd be great for the shedding process, though. His undercoat is definitely super dense, but it's still very fluffy and airy. His topcoat is very thin, but there's a ton of it. So I need moisture to prevent tangles, but not a ton of it, but still something to remove the staining and deep clean to his skin. Because in summer, lots o' bugs love making a rest stop of his ridiculously long coat. Coat complication issues, usually a multi-step process. Another reason I don't bathe him often.