Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM
facetious.

Default Cost of "Mass Removal"?

Recently my dog had a check up on what turned out to be two benign masses. One is very small and very dense(maybe an inch or so in diameter).. the other is large and seemingly not fully formed/condensed yet.

While I love the vet we visit for many reasons, it feels as though they often tack on a lot of unnecessary measures or obscure steps that inflate the cost of their estimates.

Could anyone here quote me on prices for mass removal, out of curiosity?

I feel it's probably best if I seek out an alternative vet for the surgery.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It all depends very, very much on your area and the general costs of veterinary care where you are. Heck, it varies so much that within my city, even, there are large differences.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

It also depends greatly on the size of the mass and the complexity of the removal.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM
facetious.

I suppose I should have initially included that I acknowledge each of those sentiments.

"It all depends very, very much on your area and the general costs of veterinary care where you are. Heck, it varies so much that within my city, even, there are large differences."
This particularly resonates, Jess..

It was just really bizarre to have the tech quote me at $300.00-$400.00, and then receive an "official" estimate from the vet, at $800.00-$1000.00.

I live in a sprawling, diverse city.. with a lot of suburban neighborhoods surrounding. I would be happy to travel even a couple of hours(I have a tiny, hugely cost-efficient car) to find a vet I feel a more rounded level of comfort with.

As well, as per the nature of forums- I am just seeking out personal experiences or advice I may have not previously have been aware of while I chat with other vets and work with this issue.

The small mass is benign and probably ready to go. The larger is amorphous and will probably have finished forming in a few months(according to our "regular" vet)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Well, I think it cost the rescue $500-$600 to remove Harley's "tumor", but that included amputating a section of the tail.

They could have been telling you that the $300-400 is the cost to remove the lumps, and then official amount includes the drugs and anesthesia and such?

That price doesn't sound too "out-there" to me, but I'd probably call around.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM
facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Well, I think it cost the rescue $500-$600 to remove Harley's "tumor", but that included amputating a section of the tail.

They could have been telling you that the $300-400 is the cost to remove the lumps, and then official amount includes the drugs and anesthesia and such?

That price doesn't sound too "out-there" to me, but I'd probably call around.
Well, the vet quoted it wholly at 400.00, and then I received a follow up. I just think it's a fine idea to call around. Maybe it didn't need an entire post, but hey.