Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Menchi gets bathed once every 1-2 weeks usually. Shar Pei skin needs to be kept clean

Watson usually ends up in the tub if Menchi gets bathed...but sometimes I relent and let him skip.

Menchi usually gets a sensitive skin shampoo that has antibacterial properties. Also occasionally I will do a ACV rinse.

Menchi also gets parts of her wiped down with baby wipes about once a day. Mostly her face and belly parts...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
orange iguanas.

Every other week! Sometimes more often.

Happy gets bathed with Mutt Nose Best U Hairy Dog. Smells delish and keeps her soft and shiny. No clue if it actually does what it says it does though - which is releasing undercoat.

Juno and Lucy get whatever I think smells good. Right now its a "pearberry" scent but its some off brand I don't know the name of. Sometimes its Topline Canine. When Juno's allergies flare up, I use Earthbath Tea Tree & Aloe on her.

I love shampoos! Lol. And I love bathing them and keeping them squeaky clean and fresh smelling.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Whenever I don't like petting them anymore. Which seems to be about every 3-4 weeks for the hairy dogs, and every 2-3 weeks for the Dobermans. Unless they've taken a mud bath inbetween and gotten too gross to just wipe or brush the dried mud off, then they come home and are bathed promptly.

The Dobermans use Earth Bath Hypoallergenic shampoo or a veterinary shampoo if their skin is acting up.

The hairy dogs get whatever I feel like buying for them and smelling. They mostly use Bark 2 Basics because I have a jug of both shampoo and conditioner of that brand (coconut-ish smelling, reminds me of summer). But I also have some Buddy Wash left that I bought forever ago in a pinch, and sometimes I'll use the Earth Bath Hypo on them too. Just depends on what I feel like. I also use Coat Handler conditioner on them because it makes them super smooth and soft. And smells pretty good.

I can't use it on the Dobermans anymore just because I don't want to accidentally cause their skin to act up, but if the dogs are super filthy, I've also often used diluted dawn dish soap. Cleans better than any shampoo, and followed with conditioner, doesn't leave them dry at all.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Jack gets bathed every 1-2 weeks - he's white-ish, he just gets gross-looking quickly. Plus, it's easier to brush him out and trim him when he's clean.

Missy gets a bath every 1-2 months - she really doesn't ever look gross. She's also not very easy to get in the tub, so it's normally a groomer trip.

I use Cloudstar Buddy Wash for both.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Whenever I pet them and think, "Oh, you need a bath." So, usually every 3-4 weeks, sometimes less if it's really windy and dusty.

I use Earthbath, which is wonderful and makes their coats so incredibly soft it's ridiculous. Fable hates it, though, because it means afterwards I squeeze her and smell the yumminess.
(Millie doesn't mind because she's Ultimate Velcro Dog.)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Once or twice a year for Trent. We use Earth Bath Puppy shampoo, because we still have the same bottle we bought for Trent when he was 8 weeks old. He's probably been bathed a total of 5 times in his life?

He can get pretty muddy, but we just wipe him down with a towel or spray him with a hose to clean him up.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Once in a while. If they're entered in conformation, or if they manage to find something stinky. No need if they get muddy, when they dry, the mud falls off. And I use MinkSheen, unless I bathe them at the dog wash, in which case I use whatever they have there. I do prefer the MinkSheen, though.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Every couple of months, whenever their coats start getting are nasty. I would gouge out my eyeballs if I had to do it more often, since it involves a bath, a blowout, then a brush out, and if haven't been groomed for a while then there's trimming and such to take place as well... it's pretty much a full day event if I do all four dogs. God forbid I decide to do nails at the same time, or clean teeth.

Payton has been getting plopped in the sink and having his feet hosed off every day or two (or multiple times a day...) though, because he digs in when he runs and tears up mud like nobody's business. *sigh* Everybody else comes in with hardly wet paws and Payton is muddy up to the elbows. *facepalm*

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Talk about timing! I just got done giving Caleb a bath. I don't have a set schedule as to how often- he gets a bath to relieve his itching, so maybe every 2-3 months. I usually use Cloud Star's Buddy Wash (the lavendar & mint one), and have been trying to remember to use the Buddy Rinse as well. Since late last sumemr, tho, I've been Double K's Hypo Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
...But I notice as he's getting a bit older he'll just start getting a bit of a doggie smell sometimes, so I'll give him occasional baths.
I noticed that as Mick got older, too. Instead of an all out bath, I used Natural Chemistry's Waterless Bath followed by a spritz of half water, half Cloud Star's Buddy Rinse (because of muscle loss from LP, he had a hard time standing long enough for a bath).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
...A few of the other ones stink. On top of his wet dog stink. And normally, he really has no smell at all...
I've found Cloud Star's Buddy Wash leaves less of a wet dog smell.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

Every 2-3 days or so.

I work at a self serve "dog wash" kind of place. Things get slow, Merlin is partying with other dogs most days and he doesn't mind having a bath so he is in there pretty often.

For less stinky days I like earth bath.
For more stinky I use lavender something (not sure what brand it is, the groomer uses it)

He always smells awesome! lol