Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I have nothing to add but to say I am SO thankful I have never even seen a tick before . I don't know how I would deal wwith that !
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
I have nothing to add but to say I am SO thankful I have never even seen a tick before . I don't know how I would deal wwith that !
ummm... can I move out your way?????
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't really have a bug issue here so I don't use anything. Of course, we are still frozen right now so we definitely don't have that nonsense at the moment

If bugs were an issue I'd have no problem using the typical preventatives.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Top Dog

The issue I've seen in the area is that typical preventatives aren't enough. For me at least - it's not that we don't use flea and tick preventative. It's just that when we take walks in the woods during the spring/summer months, it's as if she'd never seen a tick preventative in her life. I've honestly been on walks where it's not uncommon to pull 50 ticks off of the two of us. One day I think she must have stepped in a nest because I was petting her legs and found a bunch of tiny bumps - I checked her out and ended up spending about an hour and a half pulling these:

off of her. There must have been 100. Each of those dots is a tiny tiny (bloated up because I didn't catch them soon enough) tick. So anyways, sometimes the ticks are so bad that normal preventatives just don't do the job alone.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Active Pup

oh my gosh, that picture is horrible!

Same thing happened to us once when we made the mistake of taking our Aussies for a romp in the woods. When we came back, I wondered, "What is that black patch on Sassy's skin?"
It wasn't a black patch...it was thousands of ticks. Her skin was literally covered, head to tail in ticks! You couldn't even see her pink skin.

I've never seen anything like it since and only take the dogs into the woods in the dead cold of winter.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
This.

my first year in Florida, when Breeze said she found ticks on herself and the dogs, I almost had a panic attack thinking they were on me. XD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I use vectra and a natural spray by Saide & Mitz. With just vectra alone, we would still bring back 1-2 dozen ticks per dog after a hike. With the spray, I might find a couple but nothing like when we go without it.

I hate ticks so much.
I am so going to buy some of that spray this year to use in conjunction with topical stuff. I am really hoping they are easier to see then they are on Frodo, since they won't be able to hide in all the floof!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I poison the sh!t out of those little bastards and I don't feel bad about it.
Word. Frontline Plus or Certifect. It doesn't repel them, but most of the ticks I find are already dead. We have so much Lyme disease around here. I am not concerned enough about the poison in the topical stuff to not use it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Ugh... I haven't found anything that works for ticks...
We are in tick heaven, by early March I had already pulled two off of me, and one off of each kid and of course the dogs too. Poor Breez had one in the corner of her eye - attached! That one was a pain and a half to get off!

We have tried both essential oils, frontline, advantix, chanting... Nothing works. And to top it off, the topicals really bother Bates. To the point that he'll go hide in a corner and shiver after we put it on. Not doing that to him every 4 weeks.

The only solution I've decided is a nightly tick check. Everyone gets checked before bed. Dogs & kids. It's a routine now, brush your teeth, check each other for ticks like a bunch of apes LOL!
Fortunately the dogs have minimal hair so it's not that big of a deal. We've already had a bout with ehrlichia, and from what I gather, most tick diseases need days to transmit, so if you make sure to get the tick (even if attached) in the first few hours, you should be okay.

Interestingly, we do really well with fleas. The dogs get MSM and I swear that keeps them down. No flea issue here in years. Bates did pick some up at a show over the summer and I dosed everyone with comfortis, and haven't had any issues since. *Knocks on wood*
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

That picture...omfg I feel like I'm going to die! EWWWW!

I cannot stand ticks, I have a real phobia of parasites (inside and outside the body) and I even get panicky if I THINK ticks will be somewhere. We haven't ever seen a flea or tick since moving to this house and I am SO glad. We don't use anything on the dogs unless there is a problem, then we would probably use frontline or advantix-whichever was available at our vet's.

The rose oil stuff sounds really interesting though, is it expensive??

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)