Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
RG oil is something I've had success with from DE all the way down to southern VA. If you apply a few drops to the collar, or better yet, a diluted spray, you don't see a single tick on walks where you should have been covered. I put drops on pants and sneakers and all over his harness.

Gotcha! She would be. I'll talk to her about it. Do you still have her #? It's the cats' medicine cabinet. I realized I wouldn't need it in CO.
Sounds like good stuff! I'd definitely be willing to try it out.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Oh god ticks. Living in Montana, I forgot these things existed. But I know they are rampant down here. Fleas, too.

I'll be making a list of all the things mentioned here. Thankfully I haven't seen too much yet, but we haven't really been out and about, either.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
such sights to show you

I poison the sh!t out of those little bastards and I don't feel bad about it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

I use vectra and a natural spray by Saide & Mitz. With just vectra alone, we would still bring back 1-2 dozen ticks per dog after a hike. With the spray, I might find a couple but nothing like when we go without it.

I hate ticks so much.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

ticks were CRAZY here this year. Started late Feb/early March and never let up. My mom picked up a serresto (sp?) collar and that seems to be doing the trick. I was using a cider vinegar/ cedar oil/ lavender oil spray on him, but he HATED it.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Ticks are my nemesis. I despise parasites. Ticks make me gag. God forbid I ever find one on ME, I think I'd set fire to myself!!!!!!

Or have a panic attack minimum lol. Uuuuuuurgh.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I poison the sh!t out of those little bastards and I don't feel bad about it.
This.
I use natural when I can.. Merlin gets sprayed with apple cider vinegar & lavender essential oil every day and most of the time, it works very well! (and he always smells awesome) the ACV makes the fur/coat acidic (not pleasant for fleas and tickets) and the lavender repels.

but when we are going somewhere nature-y or the ticks/fleas are very bad, I just give him k9 advantix. I am less worried about an adverse reaction from him then I am about creepy crawly things on him/me/my apartment. A bit selfish but I have a serious fear of those things!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Active Pup

We use K9 Advantix here about 6-7 months out of the year. I would prefer not to...but the ticks are just too bad. I had one dog get a tick disease, become paralyzed suddenly and fall into a swimming pool. I have one good human friend with lyme and honestly, it's becoming quite widespread and devastating, even though a lot of doctors aren't even aware it's in Georgia.

I went with my hubby to the hunting property once and I had sprayed my boots and overall with deet. Back at the truck, I felt something creepy and crawly, and there was a tick....coming up my leg. And another one. And another one. THIRTY-SIX TICKS LATER I knew we had an issue!

Hubby came back and I informed him that despite his deet....he was covered in ticks. He laughed and said,"Oh, no I"m not"

I picked 75 ticks off his naked body that night. Imagine a naked man, spread-eagle and me holding a magnifying glass and tweezers 2 inches away from his bare bollocks. Yeah, I'm still a little traumatized.

K-9 Advantix for us. Frontline quit working and we switched brands. (for the dogs, not hubby, LOL! )
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Taxiderpy

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

obligatory lower case
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I had someone tell me the only way to kill them is with alcohol. I'm still trying to find the balancing act between "enough to repel" and "Not fit for polite company"

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/