Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm All Ears

My big expense is classes. I am taking 4 classes right now. And then buying training stuff like weaves, DVDs, etc.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
such sights to show you

To be honest, I don't even know what my expenses are. I'm in a place in my life where I have a general budget but I don't have to keep track super closely. If I actually sat down and figured it out, I would probably make a O.o face.

I will say that my husband went through a period of unemployment several years ago and we had to do some serious, serious belt tightening but never had to skimp on food and care. There are enough frivolous things both pet related and not pet related for us to cut back on that I don't worry about anyone going hungry or not getting necessary care. So with the amount of leeway you have, I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I can stop the classes if I need to. That is no problem. I probably spend around $70-80 a month for both and even then there are frivolous expenses. But they are my hobby so I spend more.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah I can stop the classes if I need to. That is no problem. I probably spend around $70-80 a month for both and even then there are frivolous expenses. But they are my hobby so I spend more.
See, I kind of look at classes and mushing as part of my hobby/ entertainment budget, too. So I don't really strictly consider, say, replacing the brakes on the scooter as a dog-related expense even though I do it with the dogs.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I forgot about Gavroche's Soloxine and prozac. I pay around $2 every other month for the Soloxine and $4 a month for the prozac. However, I'm planning on weaning him off the prozac for the summer and starting it up again in October to see if it prevents his teeth-grinding.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Well, on NECESSARY things, I don't really spend a lot, lol. But let's forget to count all the collars, harnesses, toys, shampoos, sprays, and everything else

Even so, it probably doesn't add up to $100 per month (at least most months).

I mean, like, Jackson had a dental on Monday and that ran me about $400 for pre-op bloodwork, the dental products I bought, the procedure itself, the anesthesia, etc. But obviously that's something that's only going to happen once every few years, if that (I SWEAR to keep on his teeth here on out!) and it wasn't even *totally* necessary at this point but it would've been by summer and I just had my tax money, so wanted to do it while it was easily affordable.

Anywho, one bag of food (I get the 5-6lb bags) is never more than $20. And it lasts me a little over a month. I buy a year supply of heartworm meds for $50 from drsfosterandsmith. So that's, what, like $4 a month technically speaking? I usually will buy a few cans - we just use one for a whole week, so at $2-ish a can, no more than $10 in canned food for the month. Ummm, yeah, that's only up to less than $40 in a month. So I probably on average only need to spend $50/month on him, or much less.

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

For bare necessities, I probably spend $1000/year. Food is pretty cheap for a 25 lb dog (a $45 bag of TOTW lasts a few months here), and the vet bills average around $700/year if I had to estimate. Heartworm pills and flea/tick are another couple hundred.

BUT...I've never only spent the "bare necessities". I pay $200 for 7 weeks of agility classes. $120 for a weekend of agility trials. $20 every time I walk into a pet store on treats. A random toy every time I see something cool that I think she'd like. $80 every 3 months for grooming. Heck, I bought a specific house and a specific type of car because I had the dog--otherwise I would have made cheaper decisions!!!

Someone got their NATCH (top title in NADAC agility) at the trial last weekend, and they held it up and cheered, "This is my $25,000 ribbon!" Sounds about right
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty sure I spend less than $100 a month on Henry. He's a very easy keeper. Just food, treats, and accessories. We don't take any professional classes and he's not on any meds.

He only goes to the vet a couple of times a year, maybe $200 total.

I think $1000 a year is a reasonable guess for us.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Aware

Breaking down what I'm remembering for expenses.

Food: $55/week. $220/mo.
Shadow's Proin: $47 every 3 months. Just under $16/mo.
Advantix: $117 every 3 months. $39/mo.
Heartgard: $75 every 3 months. $25/mo.

That's excluding any vet visits, any extra fun stuff... it's also for 5 dogs.

$300/month for 5 dogs. Breaks down to $60/month/dog.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Normal months I buy a bag or two of food a month + treats. So $33-55 a month. Not sure if heart worm/tick meds have gone up in price this year as we haven't had to buy any yet.