Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah I'm definitely holding off until I buy. One room is absolutely going to be a dog room. Right now I'm a bit limited since I'm renting. I also have no storage (1 car garage) so it's doubling as papillon x pen room and junk room.

You have any examples Of the dividers you mentioned? I am bad at visualizing these kind of things.
They make things like this for doggy daycares:

http://www.stonemountainpetproducts....room_dividers/

http://www.directanimal.com/blog/dog...room-dividers/

But I really think you wouldn't need to spend so much to buy something like that (I think those are really pricey). You could probably make something with lattice and a wooden frame and attach it to the wall. Or create partition walls. Or find someone handy to do so for you If you have an idea of what you want, you might be able to get like a 4H club that does woodworking (or welding or whatever you decide on) to make them for you for the cost of materials and a donation to the club. You might be able to get something that's pretty nice that way. There's also a lot of fencing panel options available from Lowes and Home Depot that might be able to be used in the same manner without much work.

This is pretty cool:
http://www.merlinspetcare.com/IMG_3152.JPG
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

You could probably buy some plastic lattice, build a frame of PVC pipe with some 90 elbows, and make a gate/divider. If you wanted feet you could just pop some T's on the bottom and make small feet... The plastic lattice comes in lots of different sizes. It would be incredibly light and inexpensive to build, but a PITA if you ever wanted to store it later, haha.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

What about leaving the room empty save for some water bowls and maybe a couple toys and letting them have the whole room? If scratching doors is an issue, you can put gates up to black access to the doors themselves.

Or something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/13057322?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

Any number of these might work inside as well
http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...+Kennels&fbx=0

I've always planned on using those rubber puzzle tiles in a dog room. They make them for kids, too, but you can get black rubber stall-mat sort of things for stronger dogs.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Well I want big dog and papillons separated. So no free roam in the room. The paps are only together because summer has sa and panics if she is left alone.

I like the room dividers! Couldn't find a price though.

I am having a hard time imagining how the PVC would work.... I'm about the least craft savvy person ever. Lol.

Sael the petcottage stuff is like what I've been considering. Then a horse mat until I can tile the flooring. I don't want to do anything too permanent so if I ever sell the house I won't have to worry about that.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Here's (a really crappy doodle of) how I would do it:

Basically buy yourself the plastic lattice in whatever size you want, or close to the size you want for the finished divider. You can trim it with a good sharp pair of shears.

Then you'd need four 90 elbows and two 4-ways/cross (same piece, just different hardware stores call them different things) and however much PVC, probably 3/4 or maybe 1". The top and sides are easy, you just make the frame the same size as your finished divider; say you wanted it to be three feet tall and seven feet wide, you'd need one seven foot piece of PVC and two three foot pieces. Then for the bottom, take another seven foot piece and cut it, roughly, into thirds - though I would space the feet closer to the corners rather than exactly 1/3 in. Plop your crosses into the bottom so you have one piece again, then put some small pieces - 4-6" or so, depending on how big the divider is - into the still empty ends of the cross for legs.

Then you'd take the lattice, lay it on top of the frame, drill your holes, then screw the lattice to the pipe. If you bought vinyl lattice, it's made of the same PVC, so you could glue it as well with PVC glue. (That stuff's permanent so make sure you want it to stay!)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Top Dog

The little dogs are in huge crates here and then the big dogs have pens. They are welded wire panels and quite large. We put the interlocking matting down as a floor for them.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I <3 this thread, just sayin'

I can't wait till I have enough room for indoor runs.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I keep thinking about doing full scale indoor runs, but they'd have to go in the basement (only spot with the room) and that just seems depressing, even though there are windows/sunlight... :/

We've talked about doing indoor/outdoor runs as well, in the barn, though that wouldn't work for deep winter/high summer...

Trying to find the best realistic balance between safety, comfort, and giving the dogs something interesting to do/watch when we cannot be there.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Banks beanie that makes a lot more sense.

I would love love love indoor outdoor runs one day. I keep thinking if I ever get rich (lol). Then again if I was rich I'd just stay at home and not work so....
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

One thing I can't wait about owning my own home is my hubby said he would build me the indoor/outdoor runs. Basically I want it attached to the house with a door from the house leading into a large room with couches for the dogs, toys, etc... also with heating/cooling system. Then have doggy doors that take them to the outside portion of the kennel which I'm hoping to have a decent size and partly shaded.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle