Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Indoor runs?

I've asked this before but I can't find the thread. When I move I am planning on a 3 bedroom house. I would like to use one as a dog room. The girls right now share a double x pen while I am gone to work. Nextdog will be larger (how large is undecided at this point- 20-30 lbs is probably the most likely but may be in the 30-40 range).

Anywho, I want to set up a pen for the paps and then a pen for nextdog. Any suggestions? I am just not comfortable leaving them in a crate a full workday.

Probably over thinking this whole thing since I've never worked and had a puppy at the same time. I can make about a 20 min break at lunch. I'm not 100 percent opposed to a dog walker but... They're really expensive even just for a 15-20 min break. I might as well drive home for that. And it would bite into my training class budget and I think my dogs get much more out of training.

I'm probably over thinking this, but was curious if you guys have solutions. Every time I get closer to nextdog I find something else to fret over. Lol.

Last edited by Laurelin; 04-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

When Roman was a pup, I put him out on the deck with a box filled with turf (so he got used to going on grass) during the day. That way I didn't have to worry about destruction or messing in the house, and he never got desensitized to doing either. He had a 20 x 20 area (which is bigger than I could've given him indoors), lots of space for toys, bones, etc.

Worked out well IMO, but I got him late summer and he was big... if you bring home a little pup in the dead of winter that might seem cruel.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah we have week long 110 plus weather in the summer.

Of course maybe nextdog will eventually get free run of a room/house. I have to remind myself that not all dogs are Mia. Although my two really seem to love their run.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Well since Teagan has the run of the house. The pup is going to be kept in a large X-pen in the living room until its house trained and chew proof. I think once the dog is bigger we will cut off the kitchen and the dog can stay in the kitchen during the day, if that does not work out we will be either leaving the dog in the X-Pen if he cant get out of it, or kennel him in the largest kennel we can find.

Mitsu was kenned when we where not home and she had no issues with it. She loved her kennel. She also slept in it at night as well.

We do have two extra bedrooms, but we have company all the time so its not practical to make one a dog room.

We do have a huge basement, so that might be an option as well so the dog can run free while we are away at work or go on errands and its not finished and we will be putting up bedrooms, just with drywall so that probably will be a big option.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

I use 6' square chain link kennels in the back room of my house (which is a former back porch, enclosed, and has a concrete floor) to keep my dogs when I'm at work. Like you, I'm not comfortable crating for that long. If I had it to do again, I'd buy welded wire kennels instead of the chain link, they're better quality (and look better). These were just cheap.

Edited to add picture of my set up. Not pretty, but more comfortable for the dogs than crates.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm All Ears

Do you have any photos of your setup? Do the runs have tops to them?

I'd like to set two side by side if possible. Looking at the wire ones and thinking about tiling the room maybe eventually? I have a plastic mat down for the girls' current run and it works fine.

Eta: those look great! I'm jealous of your space you have for them. How big are your dogs? I looked at some 4x4 and 4x5 runs. Would that be big enough for a thirty lb dog( give or take)
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Eta: those look great! I'm jealous of your space you have for them. How big are your dogs? I looked at some 4x4 and 4x5 runs. Would that be big enough for a thirty lb dog( give or take)
I think so, definitely much roomier than a crate

If you are going to devote a whole room to the dogs though, you may find better options once you have your house and can look at the space available. You might end up being able to just put some dividers up in the room and divide it in half or something...more like a dog proof playroom than a kennel.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'm definitely holding off until I buy. One room is absolutely going to be a dog room. Right now I'm a bit limited since I'm renting. I also have no storage (1 car garage) so it's doubling as papillon x pen room and junk room.

You have any examples Of the dividers you mentioned? I am bad at visualizing these kind of things.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Could you use X-pens with PVC at the bottoms to hold their shape straight, like Fran's breeder did for the puppy pen?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Do you have any photos of your setup? Do the runs have tops to them?

I'd like to set two side by side if possible. Looking at the wire ones and thinking about tiling the room maybe eventually? I have a plastic mat down for the girls' current run and it works fine.

My dogs are 30-40 lbs. I think the sizes you mention would be fine for a 30 lb dog.