Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and just thought that it was sad that this actually had to be written but...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/16/fa...internet-hoax/
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm All Ears

More related to the topic in the other thread but oh well:

http://news.yahoo.com/boston-bombing...221715385.html
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Obey the Toad.

Nobody HAS to look at the pictures. You chose to by the sites you go on and things you click on. This is not passive viewing, nobody is showing them to you, you (collective) are going to look at them. I've been on a number of news sites, watched lots of network news coverage (we don't have cable) and have not seen any dismemberment, because I've been very careful about what photos I see.

How far do we take this? Do we not show the Twin Towers falling because people were dying as they fell? Do we not show any photos of the aftermath of any tragedy because people were killed and injured there?

If I have a choice between more information or less, I'll take more, even if it is horrible, even if it is disturbing.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

No one has to like it but it is certainly how I feel. A photo op to post onfacebook or twitter.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
No one has to like it but it is certainly how I feel. A photo op to post onfacebook or twitter.
I guess my point is...this is how YOU feel...not necessarily how the person posting feels.

Dont get me wrong, there are definitely some people who I am sure did...there are always some bad eggs. But I do not believe for one moment the majority or all of people who kept the cameras rolling (or clicking) felt that way.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Nobody HAS to look at the pictures. You chose to by the sites you go on and things you click on. This is not passive viewing, nobody is showing them to you, you (collective) are going to look at them. I've been on a number of news sites, watched lots of network news coverage (we don't have cable) and have not seen any dismemberment, because I've been very careful about what photos I see.

How far do we take this? Do we not show the Twin Towers falling because people were dying as they fell? Do we not show any photos of the aftermath of any tragedy because people were killed and injured there?

If I have a choice between more information or less, I'll take more, even if it is horrible, even if it is disturbing.
Forgive me for not fully expecting to see dismemberment and not on a back alley news site. It was a major affiliate like ABC (I honestly don't remember if it was abc or not but i know it was one of the main network type pages but I was shocked to see it. As they say, what has been seen cannot be unseen)

No one is saying don't take photos of the scene but to take close up photos of dismemberment victims especially without blurring their faces (which they didn't do until people started blasting them for being so callous and disrespectful)? That is not like taking a photo of a building or of the wreckage (although if I recall someone finally told the news to cool it and stop showing the footage for a while so people could heal)

How does posting a photo of a person that has expired or a person missing their legs give more information? We already knew people were dead and lost limbs.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Last edited by sparks19; 04-16-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
When the story first broke it was a lot harder to avoid. It wasn't like I clicked on the photo slideshow or anything, it was right at the top of the first page. I like news sites and I want information. Even this morning I clicked on a link to a news article about it and saw the guy in the wheelchair. I clicked out fast enough that I didn't see if it was the cropped version or not.

I have mixed feelings about it all. I think it's important for us to take it seriously but on the other hand I feel SO MUCH for the people in the photos. Especially the guy in the wheelchair with missing leg(s). He looked horrible, you know this has to be completely traumatic for him. I just can't even fathom what he was going through at that moment. And I feel badly for him that that moment was front and cover of about half the news stories in the world.

and maybe that means the photos are really effective since that particular photo bothered me so much.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Should we have to? Goodness no....but are there many who DONT get how tragic rape is...that maybe would if they actually experienced it? You bet. (Please note, I am NOT in any way suggesting this should actually happen!!!)

IMO, people are naturally curious and gawkers. Many of us are going to look, going to be intrigued. For some it does help. I do agree the lines get pushed and sometimes crossed, but honestly, I dont know, I dont think its ok to block or censor it either (with the exception of blurring faces, that I think is a good idea in some situations)

I also dont like the idea that people who are taking pics or videos are somehow wrong for not helping. For some (journalist/cameraman) its their job and what comes naturally...for others I am sure they were in various states of shock and the camera helped distance themselves. Everyone likes to think they are one of the helpers but in the heat of the moment, its just not as natural or easy for many. No one knows how they would actually react until they experience it. Also, for all we know they may have turned the cameras off and the next second been making a tourniquet or picking someone up etc
This.

Sometimes people just don't know HOW to help. A couple of years ago a guy on a motorcycle ran a red light and hit our car. He was going fast, his helmet came off and he was badly injured. DH and I and bystanders were talking to him and calling 911 but we where all afraid to touch him in case he had a spinal injury. I don't think we did the wrong thing.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

I guess what I saw was not as bad as I expected but I did not search for pics. Just what was on the CNN article while I was at work yesterday and news today.

I do know I will never get the image of people jumping out of the towers out of my mind. I try not to look at pics after that. Just someone mentioning it makes me anxious. There doesn't need to be gore involved to make it awful.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

I definitely agree that the amount of exposure some pics will get, the way the media saturates us, etc is ridiculous. HOWEVER, they wouldnt be doing it if people werent watching the 24/7 coverage, etc.

Personally, I do not watch the news, I dont have cable. I only look when I want to, online, doing searches. That likely is a big part of my view being what it is.