Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

My garden is ungrowing...which is to say I tore out two small trees yesterday...a half-dead little shrub-evergreen that was planted too close to the house foundation for its or the house's benefit, and a Japanese maple that had been horribly mutilated by bad pruning/shaping decisions...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

For some reason we keep adding new beds lol.....today I worked on some beds that are now bordering our front fence, underneath the oaks. Added dogwood, hostas, lenten rose, toad lilies, sweet woodruff and creeping jenny. Have more stuff I will put in that are still seedlings and just ordered some other shade stuff but had to get the stuff I got from my mom's beds in.

This weekend will probably be spent doing a bunch of veggie garden prep and planting. I finally got all my tomatoes into bigger pots...I have 66. Then of course all the other veggies, eggplant, beans, peas, onions, garlic, peppers (sweet and hot), tomatillos, lettuces, chard, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, all the herbs, etc. The chives, rhubarb, and asparagus are up, the fruit trees are blooming (apple, pear, and cherry) along with my lilacs (personal fav).

Here are some random pics I took today of the new beds I did last autumn, an old bed that needed a pick me up, and the front walkway that I think I will redo this fall.

[IMG]
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/379834_10200423567944611_584660514_n.jpg[/IMG]

Cherry tree

Apple and Pear

Border in front of veggie garden

Today's new bed project

Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

My artichoke seems to have kicked it. I dont' know what happened, but I went out today and all the leaves were shrivelled or gone. Dammit!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Anyone know where's an get fuschia right now. I have a substantial flower bed in need of a water hungry shade loving hummingbird fruiting perennial.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Anyone know where's an get fuschia right now. I have a substantial flower bed in need of a water hungry shade loving hummingbird fruiting perennial.
Pretty much every local nursery and big box store carries it this time of year in my area. Granted my area is far far away from yours.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Are you looking for an upright or trailing type? A good bet is to take a walk through local neighborhoods and see if someone in the area will let you have some cuttings from an established plant.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Are you looking for an upright or trailing type? A good bet is to take a walk through local neighborhoods and see if someone in the area will let you have some cuttings from an established plant.
Unfortunately in a desert state there are few fuschia a outside the ones in hanging planters that come in in the middle of summer when it's already flowering.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Greeenmagick your flowers are gorgeous! Still trying to tame the flower beds here. Right now there's a battle royale going on between the coleus and cardinal mint. Wondering if I should rip it out or plant comfrey and see who wins.

Pops, I'm not sure if they're hardy in Utah but you might try Fuchsia magellanica. They're a tall bushy hardy fuchsia native to the southern tip of Argentina so you've got a good shot. I've had good luck getting starts and seeds of plants through ebay, but maybe there's a local nursery that has some in stock.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

It isn't growing much yet...

Mostly we are doing some clean up work. I pulled up a walnut sapling that got away from us last year.

Since Menchi dug me such a nice hole the other day when I was out there working and they were on their tie outs I have decided to plant a boomerang deep purple lilac there

I would like to ideally place some nice big container beds in the back yard...not sure what all would be planted there.

I would also love to clean out the front beds and get them fixed up to my liking...might not all happen this year.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

We have a lot of things popping up in strange places. We chopped down an ugly bush. In its place grew daffodils and now some asparagus is sprouting in that area, and i think some peas.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/