Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Taxiderpy

Default How does your garden grow?

Who has plans for a garden this year? Doesn't have to be a full blown veggie garden, it can be flowers, some pots on the patio, herbs on the kitchen counter, etc.

What are you growing? What do you want to grow?

This year I'm obsessed with corn. Have a few varieties I want to test, but only room to plant and save seed from one, so going with Hernandez Multicolor.

And just ordered 1/4 lb. of oaxacan green. Oh. My. Gosh. It's so beautiful. Somebody on a homestead forum who lives in Forks was raving about how well it produces in the NW. She said they tested many many varieties, and this one produces enough dent corn to keep her family in tortillas and feed all their poultry for the year. Not going to have room for it this year but want to make sure to have some later. So shiny.

Other than that, have some Russian long keeping tomatoes started and Cherokee purples for summer eating.

Got my hands on Makah Ozette fingerling potatoes finally. Going to try growing them in cages too.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Sit! Good dog.

We have no garden as such.... Hard to describe my partners mother has a plot on the hill we share, and she has put up a poly tunnel, potting shed and patches to plant potatoes, courgettes etc

We have a courtyard, so id like to put some pots out there, and I like the idea of planting herbs in them. We also have a couple of chilli plants we keep in the conservatory. We got enough chillis last year to freeze for us to use all year (and beyond). They took a bit of a battering over the winter as we moved them inside and Fred chewed them... I've clipped them back in the hope of reviving them.

Problem is here that the weather is so variable, we can have glorious sun, followed by snow, then rain, then a heat wave and back to snow... All in one week.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I have a pile of rocks, a pile of compost, and a pile of seeds. We'll see if I can get them together at some point here...

I need to start my indoor seed but it'll be a couple weeks yet before I can really plant anything outside.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Top Dog

I have some tomatoes, peppers, cukes, peas and luffas started. I want to direct sow the lettuce, radishes and corn. Since this is our first spring in the house I am littering a bunch of stuff grow would to see what it looks like. We have a bunch of different things coming up.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I don't think my dad has started planting yet, but he typically raises corn, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, green beans, peppers, lettuce, broccoli, beets, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, maybe some snow peas and cherry tomatoes and whatever herbs/spices he feels like. He's done onions in the past, too, and potatoes or sweat potatoes.

Everything that can be frozen or canned gets frozen or canned, and that feeds us for a good long time. Nom nom nom.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Mutts to you

Usually just have flowers in the gardens (for hummers and butterflies and seed/berries in the fall for the birds) but this year we're thinking of mixing in some veggies. Local paper did an article, with a chart, on what veggies complement what flowers, so we thought we'd try that.

Probably won't do much planting yet - forecast for next weekend is temps back down around freezing (up in the high 70s today - stupid weather...)

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Our garden is already planted and flourishing. The sweet peas haven't started to flower yet, which is worrying, but the kale, and lettuce and onions are going like mad. I made a shake with the kale and some sort of lettuce that I don't know.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Thus far we just have fruit trees and flowers planted.

I have a Fuji apple, a Stella cherry, and a Japanese beauty plum in the back. In the front I have an ultra dwarf snow queen nectarine.

I want two ten foot planter boxes between each tree in the back but that will come after interior revamps.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

We're moving this summer so we'll be digging 20 years worth of garden instead of putting more in

I'll still do veggies in pots... last year I did and some squirrel or rat or something came and ate all of my produce just as it was ripening

I also have a grape vine I dug up from next door this past autumn that may yet be alive. It have no leaves yet, but it does have little buds. Hard to tell if it's alive or just slowly dying though I had another vine that I cut off vs digging up and even it had a couple shoots when I chucked it. So fingers crossed.

And I have an artichoke from last year that's coming back up. I have some artichoke seeds I should've started in Feb., I think I'll save them another year and just buy started artichokes if I see them. They're a great bargain, because they should yield quite a few buds when mature, and artichokes are like $2 a piece!!

I also have some Eucalyptus, Magnolia, Baobab, Touch-Plant, passion vine, morning glory and saffron seeds, and tree-fern spores, (and I'm sure some I'm forgetting) that I could start.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I love growing from seed, it's so much fun. I have almost no interest in the plants we buy from the garden centers, but I love the stuff I started from seed.

But we have limited room inside for flourescents and a pretty small veggie garden, so I plant a bunch of seeds, but not a ton of each, and see what's viable when it's planting time. I've started cucumbers, zucchini, summer and winter squash, broccoli, bell pepper, cabbage, eggplant, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, some tomatoes that came from italy (and we harvested seeds from. I don't know what they are but my dad is super excited about them), and we have green bean seeds that'll go straight into the ground. Then I have some herbs...Basil, parsley, and rosemary. Then flowers. I don't remeber all of them, just planted what I had, chinese lanterns, gaillardia, nasturtium, zinnia, gazania, marigolds, sweet pea, morning glory, flowering cabbage, not sure what else.

I'm excited to see what we'll get. After I planted the seeds I had to go back to college, so I just have to cross my fingers and hope my parents keep them alive until I come home in May!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!