Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, this is why Chaz is so amazing. I absolutely love this forum, since most, if not all, of the people here are really accepting and well rounded. Educated, as well. They aren't the "shove-this-opinion-down-your-throat" people here, and it makes me happy.

Some forums just... *shudder*

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Obey the Toad.

As far as my off line life goes it's really not seen as all that strange or bad to get your dog from a breeder. I've only had one person in the 6 years we've had Jack express surprise that I'd gotten him from a breeder, but the way she said it was not nasty at all.

In my family it's much more normal to get a dog from a breeder than to not, and most of my friends either don't care where I get my animals or have a breeder dog themselves. It's also not that weird to have an intact dog here. Our regular vet didn't bat an eye when we said that we were not going to alter Jack right away and actually asked us if we planned on breeding. Most of the dog people I know in person, even those heavily involved in rescue, have no issue with reputable breeders and have dogs from breeders themselves.

I tend to overlap my standards for dog breeders with breeders of other species though. I was looking at a mini rex rabbit breeder's site a few months ago and was surprised an annoyed to discover they don't take their rabbits back if you can no longer care for them.

I did stop posting on a particular lab when I discovered that my concern for overweight show labs was most unwelcome.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Yeah, this is why Chaz is so amazing. I absolutely love this forum, since most, if not all, of the people here are really accepting and well rounded. Educated, as well. They aren't the "shove-this-opinion-down-your-throat" people here, and it makes me happy.

While I love Chaz, if you haven't found anyone trying to shove an opinion down your throat you just haven't found the right topic yet... It may not be as common as other places but it is definitely here.

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

I really do love chaz. It's the one forum I'm very consistent on, never really feel the need to do a with what people say, LOL...

We're all, for the most part, pretty level-headed, I feel like. And even if we have differing opinions, I dunno... it's just... so much more laid back here!

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Professional Nerd

I used to be a forum junkie. Now outside this and my tech forum I kind of avoid them.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post

I don't think you've been reading the right threads. LOL definitely happens here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I really do love chaz. It's the one forum I'm very consistent on, never really feel the need to do a with what people say, LOL...

We're all, for the most part, pretty level-headed, I feel like. And even if we have differing opinions, I dunno... it's just... so much more laid back here!
My god, you must have the patience of a saint.

I keep checking back on the ferret forum and immediately regretting it. LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

I used to be active on a horse forum, back when I had horses. I like you guys better

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I've even experienced this in real life with my coworkers. "You're spending how much on this puppy?" "Why are you buying a purebred when so many puppies are in shelters?" "Why don't you just find a cheaper one?" "You're planning to keep him intact? ZOMG!"

It is really annoying. People don't understand the difference between a quality breeder that health tests and works with her dogs versus someone who is breeding Fluffy and Joe together for cute puppies and to make a buck.
lol yep. The other day at work, I don't even remember what breed we were talking about but someone mentioned how expensive they were. And I said, well what do you consider "expensive?" Her response, "well they're like, $1000!" I just started laughing, said I'm not even gonna tell you how much I paid for Juno then! Then everyone started saying they wouldn't really want to spend more than $500 on a dog. I was shocked at that. I must be crazy, I'm willing to spend a lot on a dog from a good breeder; on a companion that I'm going to have for maybe 15 years.

But other forums are scary, yes. I do like my boxer forum though, for the most part... even though we are only allowed to talk about positive training techniques and I'm the only one that thinks it's fine if someone doesn't want to neuter their dog.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Obey the Toad.

Actually, I do think $1000 is expensive for a dog. I'd pay it, but I think it's expensive.

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Owned by Belgians

I didn't get my Laekenois because the breed isn't fully recognized by the AKC. But I am glad I played a small part to get the breed bumped up to Miscellaneous. The Laekenois is fully recognized in the rest of the world, but with only 200 in the USA, it's been stuck in FSS for over 10 years now. And it's such an awesome breed! At least the well bred ones.

BTW, if every Labra-doodle purchaser would get a Barbet for the same or less money, it would move that breed along the road to full recognition. But people like fads. I remember decades ago everybody wanted schoodles.