Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm All Ears

Default I should not venture onto other forums but...

I did.

Can someone explain to me how creating new breeds affects shelter overpopulation? lol

I am apparently just wrong for saying... it doesn't.

Remind me again why do I venture onto other forums. (Oh yeah it was because chaz was blocked at work lol)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Twin 2

It's always a culture shock when I go to another forum that isn't chaz. And not in a good way.

I got chased off a greyhound forum when I was looking into them for daring to say the word breeder and intact.

Other forums are scary.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM
such sights to show you

Adopt, don't shop!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Adopt, don't shop!!!!!!
Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die!!!!!!

I get it, the sentiment is nice for people who aren't really dog savvy, but I think there's a huge lack of education that encourages it, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with that crap when I get my purebred breeder puppy in the future. And I don't think I'd particularly like to deal with other forums, either, especially since I'm considering keeping future-puppy intact, at least for a while.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff

Last edited by Paviche; 04-13-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah people shouldn't create new breeds like silken windhounds and alaskan klee kais because it's adding to the overpopulation.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

took a tour of a chihuahua forum once.

*shudder*

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Silence, peasants.

I have to say I kinda experienced the opposite, coming from other forums to here. I was like 'woah, this place is GREAT.'

Compared to other dog forums where everyone is like 'YOU CANT HANDLE MY BREED YO' (...for every breed), you should never get a dog that isn't from a shelter (nevermind their dogs??) and telling me I should die rather than get a puppy and take it to college.

So thankful for chaz.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 AM
BusterLove

I often think how awesome chaz is for being the most well rounded dog forum I've seen.
When I joined I think a lot of topics were more one sided (breeding. Training methods etc) however now I think it's probably just an awesome resource

Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Other than the BC boards where I lurk and don't post, I haven't been anywhere else in a while...it's scary world out there...!

And yeah I agree that there is a serious undereducation (or misinformation) about the importance of the roles of good breeders...no matter what they are breeding. As far as I know we do not have an overpopulation of health-tested dogs who receive some sort of objective temperament and structure analysis and whose breeders will take them back when needed at any point in their lives. It's not that high a bar, yet is a select group nonetheless. And by definition, it's not a group that is flooding the shelters.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I get it, the sentiment is nice for people who aren't really dog savvy, but I think there's a huge lack of education that encourages it, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with that crap when I get my purebred breeder puppy in the future. And I don't think I'd particularly like to deal with other forums, either, especially since I'm considering keeping future-puppy intact, at least for a while.
I've even experienced this in real life with my coworkers. "You're spending how much on this puppy?" "Why are you buying a purebred when so many puppies are in shelters?" "Why don't you just find a cheaper one?" "You're planning to keep him intact? ZOMG!"

It is really annoying. People don't understand the difference between a quality breeder that health tests and works with her dogs versus someone who is breeding Fluffy and Joe together for cute puppies and to make a buck.