Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin gets coconut oil Started innocently enough lol I bought some to use for me and he kept trying to lick it off my face and hair!!

so I started giving him his own spoon of the stuff. Now he gets it with breakfast.

He also gets salmon oil
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 AM
Taxiderpy

For some reason feeding coconut oil never occurred to me.

One time I got a huge thingy of flax seed oil for pretty cheap, and the dogs did well on that. They did better with fish oil, but for what it was at the time it worked well. Some algal oils also have omega 3s, but I have no idea how much they cost or how easy they are to find.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Top Dog

I've fed it for about 5 years and love it. The dogs' coats look and smell good and they love it too. I make it into little measured blocks and then hand them out at breakfast. We have a lot of dogs though.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

I fed it for a short time last year after reading the benefits of it (particularly a story about a VERY smelly Lab whose odor dissipated while on it). I notice no change when feeding it to any of my dogs so when the large container of it was gone I just stopped feeding it. Not saying it didn't and doesn't have any benefits that I can't see however, so I might feed it again, but from the outside no I myself noticed no difference in my dogs appearance, or in the way Noodle smells.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Clearly, this is doggie crack. I got a big jar of coconut oil last night. I put some in their food, some on my hands, some on my chapped lips, and some on Logan's sunburned ruff. Theey scarfed down their food, then Gavroche went after Logan and all I could see him thinking was "COME HERE MY SEXY COCONUT BEAST!" as he simultaneously humped him and licked the oil off his ruff

Downside is I have to give Logan a bath now. Ack.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Top Dog

Yes it is! My dogs go NUTS over it!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Clearly, this is doggie crack. I got a big jar of coconut oil last night. I put some in their food, some on my hands, some on my chapped lips, and some on Logan's sunburned ruff. Theey scarfed down their food, then Gavroche went after Logan and all I could see him thinking was "COME HERE MY SEXY COCONUT BEAST!" as he simultaneously humped him and licked the oil off his ruff

Downside is I have to give Logan a bath now. Ack.
Oh, I did forget about using it on myself, it's great for hands and that's actually why I even had a container of it, it was supposed to go into soap (that, didn't happen, maybe this year we'll get to that project). But yes, I did find that they did like it, even lil' miss picky loved it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Resident fainting goat

lol I need a bigger jar of the stuff.
It really does do everything
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
such sights to show you

While I was at Whole Foods picking up oils for that oil cleansing thing I thought I might as well grab a jar of coconut oil, too. I put just a wee bit on everyone's food and the youngsters gobbled it up but Pip eyed it suspiciously, gave me a dirty look, and ate completely around it before picking it up and putting it down a few times and then finally eating it. Dork.