Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I eat low carb sun-fri and have a cheat day on Saturdays. My cheat usually involves a snocone, sushi, and maybe a dessert at dinner. I try not to have a crazy amount of carbs on cheat days because it gives me headaches lol. But occasionally I will have pasta or something on a special occasion.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

When eating low-carb...how are you doing it? Are you including a lot of healthy fats? lots of good quality protein? Mostly natural and fresh foods or lots of processed stuff?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Another thing: hormones can have a huge effect on hair, so birth control or something like pcos or hormone imbalance effects it.

You could try biotin or omega supplements, vitamin e and fish oil are all supposedly good for hair, but I never saw much difference

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Prenatal curtains can help strengthen your hair too.
But have you talked to your doctor about having bloodwork checked for any abnormalities or deficiencies?
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
So. My hair. I've been growing it out for over a year now. It has not grown. At all. I have had it trimmed, but other than that have not actually cut my hair. I think it's actually shorter than when I started. And a lot of this has to do with breakage. It breaks off all.the.time. It's really bad, too. And I don't know what to do. I really need advice. (Also I recently ombréd it and used bleach which probably didn't help but it's still soft and looks about as healthy as it did before bleaching it. So idk.)

Right now my plan is stop brushing it. I'm planning to go buy a wide toothed comb, and some anti-breakage rubber bands, and comb my hair out in the shower every night while its wet, and braid it over night so it doesn't tangle.
Ah I feel your pain. I posted a thread here awhile back about my hair loss.. http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160503

That was back in May '12. My hair is.. better now. But I still lose a lot.

Since that thread, I completely went off birth control, have been since June '12 so over a year now. Did that help? I don't really know.. but I'm no worse off of it so I've just kept it that way. That was the only med. I was taking so I wanted to eliminate anything that might be causing hair loss.

I saw a dermatologist who diagnosed me with "telogen effluvium" after she did a scalp biopsy. Basically means I'm losing my hair but they don't know why. Oh and there's no treatment. Super.

The one thing that I do think helped was I did cold laser treatments for 8 months. I just sat under the laser for 30min. once a week. I definitely noticed new growth.

Other than that, I take a multi vitamin and 5000mcg of Biotin daily. I took prenatal vitamins for awhile but didn't notice any crazy changes.

I don't color my hair at all. I have curly hair, so I barely brush it anyway, but I only use a wide tooth comb in the shower when it's covered with conditioner. Only use a diffuser to blow dry, for maybe 10min. a day. Never pull it up.. basically I baby the hell out of it. My hair DOES grow though, thankfully. It's just a lot thinner than it used to be 3ish years ago.

Good luck though, hair loss is so frustrating :/
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
When eating low-carb...how are you doing it? Are you including a lot of healthy fats? lots of good quality protein? Mostly natural and fresh foods or lots of processed stuff?
Yes. And I am low-carb not no-carb so I have fruits and veggies and things with healthy carbs. Eating mostly natural and fresh foods and healthy fats.

I have taken biotin, multivitamins, and fish oil all to no avail that I can tell.

The one thing that stuck out to me though is PCOS. I have thought for a while that I have it. However I have no insurance so I have been trying to save money to go get a Pap smear and see if I actually have PCOS and get treatment. And I haven't been able to really save anything. So it'll be a while. Hopefully that will help me though. I know I have some hormonal imbalances and such. So maybe getting on some kind of medicine for PCOS will help me. I'm going to call my dr. and find out exactly how much it is to get tested. She said it was pricey but didn't give me a figure.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Twin 2.0

I've been dealing with hair loss lately too, about the last 8 months. My stylist said she's been seeing a lot of people with the same complaint lately too.

The only major change I've had is moving into a part of the city with city water supply, so I've bought a Brita filter and seeing if that helps at all.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Are you dead yet?

I've dealt with hair loss for the past five or six years. Diabetes and PCOS are factors. My blood sugar was ridiculously high for a long time and it threw everything out of whack. Even now when I don't take care of myself, eat properly and exercise I notice my hair loss get worse.

It sucks. Get to a doctor if you can, or try a lower-carb diet and take some good vitamin supplements. Metformin helped me lose weight which helped my blood sugar levels which helped with the health of my hair, it's a cheap drug with relatively few side effects. Worth looking into.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I've dealt with hair loss for the past five or six years. Diabetes and PCOS are factors. My blood sugar was ridiculously high for a long time and it threw everything out of whack. Even now when I don't take care of myself, eat properly and exercise I notice my hair loss get worse.

It sucks. Get to a doctor if you can, or try a lower-carb diet and take some good vitamin supplements. Metformin helped me lose weight which helped my blood sugar levels which helped with the health of my hair, it's a cheap drug with relatively few side effects. Worth looking into.
I must be the only person on the face of the planet who's had a nasty reaction to Metformin -_- D-Chiro Inositol has helped immensely with the bad effects I've had with PCOS however. I highly recommend it to anyone who has PCOS or some other insulin resistant illness. It's a lot more expensive than Metformin, but you can get it over the counter without a prescription, it's all natural, and said to be just as effective.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Are you dead yet?

You can get it OTC? I might have to look into that.

What was your reaction? Metformin initially made me pee out my butt for a couple days, which made me not want to eat anything at all, but my body adjusted really quickly.