Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I miss my nail polish so much At work I regularly have to use industrial strength acetone with is obviously not good for the polish. I have some coworkers who swear by these gel nail stuff they get some at a nail place. They can get acetone on their nails and it doesn't remove it. It's their own nails too, not acrylics (which I've had and will never do again).
I've done the gel nail stuff for formal events and was very happy with it even as a dog walker..the polish held up very well and did not feel or look strange. and I NEVER wear nail polish lol

I can't paint my own nails, but if I ever got my nails "done"again I would certainly only do the gel kind.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

The gel stuff is AWESOME but crazy expensive here (in NYC it was going for like $90 for a manicure two years ago, no idea if it's come down now.) I had it done once (my roommate's girlfriend was a nail technician or whatever you call them, and she did them for me). It lasted a while but my nails grow super fast so after just a week or two, you could really see it growing out, so even though the stuff stays on for like 6 weeks, if your nails grow remotely fast it doesn't matter. It also seemed like if you continually used it without a break in-between, it might damage your nails.

I'd definitely get it done whenever I needed my nails to stay nice if it wasn't so expensive.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Thought this was an appropriate place for this pic....

This is my daughters polish collection. She proudly set it all up so we could play "nail polish store" and I thought it looked cool so took a pic

Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
The gel stuff is AWESOME but crazy expensive here (in NYC it was going for like $90 for a manicure two years ago, no idea if it's come down now.) I had it done once (my roommate's girlfriend was a nail technician or whatever you call them, and she did them for me). It lasted a while but my nails grow super fast so after just a week or two, you could really see it growing out, so even though the stuff stays on for like 6 weeks, if your nails grow remotely fast it doesn't matter. It also seemed like if you continually used it without a break in-between, it might damage your nails.

I'd definitely get it done whenever I needed my nails to stay nice if it wasn't so expensive.
The price has gone WAY DOWN since it's "debut" in my experience.

A regular gel manicure (not french) is $20-40 around here in the city. 45 leaning more towards the more fashionable nail salons
Most common price I got quoted is $25.

I only know this because the first time I got them done it was in NYC for a wedding, and my mani was $30 lol it was a very small nail salon, so by no means the most chique, but still, it was pretty average.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

You can get DIY gel kits now too that I know people who have had great luck with. I just enjoy switching colors too often to venture into that
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Twin 2

I want to do nail polish but I have super thin nails that split and bend when you look at them so I end up having to keep my nails short so they don't break and hurt.

Speaking of shampoo, I seriously need to find one I like because so far I never had. I tried the 'poo' free for about two or three months but my hair never got to a point where it was nice. Any favorite sulfate free shampoos that aren't super expensive?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

I use..lush. Lots and lots and lots of lush stuff. I'm starting to become addicted to buying soaps too, I have a million like 1/4 bars of random (organic) type soaps. Mostly lush but some others too.

I'm reconsidering their shampoo though...I'm having some problems with almost cystic acne on my back, and I'm suspecting it could be the shampoo. I've changed out the soaps I use (and didn't use them for a few days on my back) and didn't see a difference.

Has anyone here ever used Wen hair products? I watched an infomercial and read reviews, it seems like awesome stuff, but I don't know if the reviews are just..padded?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Speaking of shampoo, I seriously need to find one I like because so far I never had. I tried the 'poo' free for about two or three months but my hair never got to a point where it was nice. Any favorite sulfate free shampoos that aren't super expensive?
I found a mass amount of Rockaholic (the salon size bottles) at TJ Maxx recently and bought every bottle they had. It is my favourite by far. When I run out, if I can't find more, I just buy whatever sulfate free they have there. They always have at least one option to pick from. I once found something that a guy at Ulta recommended and it was of course half what it would have cost at Ulta.

Rockaholic did a great job even when I was abusing my hair with dye, flat irons, and various other products - it's still great, I'm just not making it work so hard haha.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm All Ears

I am addicted to nail polish. Omg, it is like my weakness. Trying to decide what color I want to do tonight. I have a minty blazer and a blouse that is white with kind of coral-y flowers on it. Can't decide if I want to go with coral/pinky nails or mint.

Argh....
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I am addicted to nail polish. Omg, it is like my weakness. Trying to decide what color I want to do tonight. I have a minty blazer and a blouse that is white with kind of coral-y flowers on it. Can't decide if I want to go with coral/pinky nails or mint.

Argh....
Do both!

Like a base of one and polka dots...or do several nails one color and one or two the other.....