Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #391  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
I totally agree, men's deodorant smells way better and I should probably just use it!

This is the stuff I just tried - http://terranaturals.com/deodorant-s...cai-p-615.html and really did not like at all. It seriously made me sweat way more and didn't help the smell at all. Super lame.

I would just like to get away from antiperspirant if possible...why do guys have all sort of choices for non-antiperspirants!?
I use Tom's of Maine deodorant, the apricot one. Their "Beautiful Earth" scent is garbage, but the apricot one is glorious and survives through my bag hauling at work.

In fact, I use Tom's of Maine everything, haha. I hate mint toothpaste so I use their Whole Care cinnamon & clove toothpaste and their baking soda rinse. Yum.
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 10,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I use Tom's of Maine deodorant, the apricot one. Their "Beautiful Earth" scent is garbage, but the apricot one is glorious and survives through my bag hauling at work.

In fact, I use Tom's of Maine everything, haha. I hate mint toothpaste so I use their Whole Care cinnamon & clove toothpaste and their baking soda rinse. Yum.
Tom's of Maine used to not work for me, but I think they reformulated their deodorant a couple of years ago because it's fine now.

My favorites are Jason brand, aloe vera scented, and Liken Plant, herbal scent. I can't do anything fruity or floral, it just smells weird on me. The Jason brand lasted all day when I lived in AZ and ugh, sweat city down there.

Zinc and chlorophyll also help cut down on body odor and sweating. You can add stuff to your diet to help with it. I eat a big mouthful of parsley every day, and take a chlorophyll supplement (it's supposed to help with calcium absorption too). Some days I forget to put deodorant on until waaay later in the day, and I apologize to my family and they're like, "whut? We didn't even smell anything." Which is really reassuring. lol
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM
~Dixie's_Mom~'s Avatar
~Dixie's_Mom~ ~Dixie's_Mom~ is offline
♥Chloe & Violet♥
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
OOPS. Fixed.

I didn't have a transition period, but I was already using sulfate free for a year and had been shampoo free for a year before that. I also never put any product in my hair, so there's nothing to wash out.

How did you apply it? I never rub the soap directly on my hair, I just work up some lather in my hands and slosh it through a couple of times. I feel like the soap is a little sticky-ish and if I rubbed it right on my hair it would be really hard to wash it all out. I hope it works out for you!
I just took the bar and rubbed it between my hands then lathered it onto my hair. However I left it in while I washed my body instead of rinsing immediately and that may have been the problem. While doing some research I found that I should lather, rinse immediately, lather again and rinse immediately. Otherwise it's harder to rinse completely out and the soap leaves a film of sorts. Upon further investigation (aka waiting for my hair to fully dry lol) my hair wasn't greasy at the top like I thought, it was like filmy/almost sticky. Have you experienced this at all? Also my ends seemed really dry. Maybe I should use conditioner with it?
__________________
Lauren
Don't fear tomorrow.


Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,799
Default

I've just lathered it in my hands, massaged it in and rinsed immediately. I don't wash all of my hair, only the parts close to my scalp. I figure the ends of my hair don't really get any oil or grease on them, so I don't strip them with soap very often. They're pretty dry as is.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Torch's Avatar
Torch Torch is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I just took the bar and rubbed it between my hands then lathered it onto my hair. However I left it in while I washed my body instead of rinsing immediately and that may have been the problem. While doing some research I found that I should lather, rinse immediately, lather again and rinse immediately. Otherwise it's harder to rinse completely out and the soap leaves a film of sorts. Upon further investigation (aka waiting for my hair to fully dry lol) my hair wasn't greasy at the top like I thought, it was like filmy/almost sticky. Have you experienced this at all? Also my ends seemed really dry. Maybe I should use conditioner with it?
I'm going to wash my hair with it tonight and condition the ends since my hair is really long. I'll let you know how it goes
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

I tried a new "natural-ish" shampoo and conditioner this morning. Let's just say I'm going to be taking it back for a refund. My hair has never been this weird dry/heavy/static-y thing it's got going on today and I do not like.
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Jules's Avatar
Jules Jules is offline
Magic, motherf@%$*#!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,175
Default

I know I've said if before... And it's not exactly no poo shampoo... But I LOOOOOOOVE Costco's sulfate free shampoo (and the conditioner that goes along with it). Have been using it for years now and it is the only shampoo/conditioner that is consistently great with my hair. And the price is awesome, too.
__________________
A dog is a miracle with paws.
T-Bone, CGC
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
~Dixie's_Mom~'s Avatar
~Dixie's_Mom~ ~Dixie's_Mom~ is offline
♥Chloe & Violet♥
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,154
Default

I'm hoping that this abs will work out for me! It's been hard to figure out so far! Can each of you who use it describe your hair care routine to me in detail?

Today I lathered it in my hands, applied only to the top of my head/scalp, and rinsed immediately. I then repeated that process once more. Then I applied a pea sized dot of loreal total repair 5 conditioner to the ends because they were getting BAD from using the abs on them for the past 3 or 4 days. Then I got out of the shower, and brushed through my hair. It's feeling a LOT better than it has (less sticky and filmy at the top, and waaay softer at the bottom). I'm hoping this routine will stick? I'll have to see how it dries...
__________________
Lauren
Don't fear tomorrow.


Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Tom's of Maine used to not work for me, but I think they reformulated their deodorant a couple of years ago because it's fine now.

My favorites are Jason brand, aloe vera scented, and Liken Plant, herbal scent. I can't do anything fruity or floral, it just smells weird on me. The Jason brand lasted all day when I lived in AZ and ugh, sweat city down there.

Zinc and chlorophyll also help cut down on body odor and sweating. You can add stuff to your diet to help with it. I eat a big mouthful of parsley every day, and take a chlorophyll supplement (it's supposed to help with calcium absorption too). Some days I forget to put deodorant on until waaay later in the day, and I apologize to my family and they're like, "whut? We didn't even smell anything." Which is really reassuring. lol
Jason makes deodorant?! I've only ever seen their hair care products, which I use in my rotation and love. Hmmm!
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
OutlineACDs's Avatar
OutlineACDs OutlineACDs is offline
Crazy Dog!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,341
Default

I'm not using the ABS shampoo bar, but I am using this bar.

Again, my hair is short, and fine, in a pixie cut, I use gel, mousse, and pomade daily. I rub the bar in my hands and get a good lather, then I rub it into my hair and scalp. I let it sit while I wash my body, then I rinse off. It does feel filmy/way while my hair is wet, but it dries fine, no film, no funky texture. It doesn't look oily or dry.

I've been using this same bar on my body, and while (so far) it's fine on my hair it is a little drying on my skin, so next time I buy I'm going to try a moisturizing body bar for both hair and body.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site