Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
I totally agree, men's deodorant smells way better and I should probably just use it!

This is the stuff I just tried - http://terranaturals.com/deodorant-s...cai-p-615.html and really did not like at all. It seriously made me sweat way more and didn't help the smell at all. Super lame.

I would just like to get away from antiperspirant if possible...why do guys have all sort of choices for non-antiperspirants!?
I use Tom's of Maine deodorant, the apricot one. Their "Beautiful Earth" scent is garbage, but the apricot one is glorious and survives through my bag hauling at work.

In fact, I use Tom's of Maine everything, haha. I hate mint toothpaste so I use their Whole Care cinnamon & clove toothpaste and their baking soda rinse. Yum.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I use Tom's of Maine deodorant, the apricot one. Their "Beautiful Earth" scent is garbage, but the apricot one is glorious and survives through my bag hauling at work.

In fact, I use Tom's of Maine everything, haha. I hate mint toothpaste so I use their Whole Care cinnamon & clove toothpaste and their baking soda rinse. Yum.
Tom's of Maine used to not work for me, but I think they reformulated their deodorant a couple of years ago because it's fine now.

My favorites are Jason brand, aloe vera scented, and Liken Plant, herbal scent. I can't do anything fruity or floral, it just smells weird on me. The Jason brand lasted all day when I lived in AZ and ugh, sweat city down there.

Zinc and chlorophyll also help cut down on body odor and sweating. You can add stuff to your diet to help with it. I eat a big mouthful of parsley every day, and take a chlorophyll supplement (it's supposed to help with calcium absorption too). Some days I forget to put deodorant on until waaay later in the day, and I apologize to my family and they're like, "whut? We didn't even smell anything." Which is really reassuring. lol
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
OOPS. Fixed.

I didn't have a transition period, but I was already using sulfate free for a year and had been shampoo free for a year before that. I also never put any product in my hair, so there's nothing to wash out.

How did you apply it? I never rub the soap directly on my hair, I just work up some lather in my hands and slosh it through a couple of times. I feel like the soap is a little sticky-ish and if I rubbed it right on my hair it would be really hard to wash it all out. I hope it works out for you!
I just took the bar and rubbed it between my hands then lathered it onto my hair. However I left it in while I washed my body instead of rinsing immediately and that may have been the problem. While doing some research I found that I should lather, rinse immediately, lather again and rinse immediately. Otherwise it's harder to rinse completely out and the soap leaves a film of sorts. Upon further investigation (aka waiting for my hair to fully dry lol) my hair wasn't greasy at the top like I thought, it was like filmy/almost sticky. Have you experienced this at all? Also my ends seemed really dry. Maybe I should use conditioner with it?

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

I've just lathered it in my hands, massaged it in and rinsed immediately. I don't wash all of my hair, only the parts close to my scalp. I figure the ends of my hair don't really get any oil or grease on them, so I don't strip them with soap very often. They're pretty dry as is.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I just took the bar and rubbed it between my hands then lathered it onto my hair. However I left it in while I washed my body instead of rinsing immediately and that may have been the problem. While doing some research I found that I should lather, rinse immediately, lather again and rinse immediately. Otherwise it's harder to rinse completely out and the soap leaves a film of sorts. Upon further investigation (aka waiting for my hair to fully dry lol) my hair wasn't greasy at the top like I thought, it was like filmy/almost sticky. Have you experienced this at all? Also my ends seemed really dry. Maybe I should use conditioner with it?
I'm going to wash my hair with it tonight and condition the ends since my hair is really long. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Twin 2.0

I tried a new "natural-ish" shampoo and conditioner this morning. Let's just say I'm going to be taking it back for a refund. My hair has never been this weird dry/heavy/static-y thing it's got going on today and I do not like.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I know I've said if before... And it's not exactly no poo shampoo... But I LOOOOOOOVE Costco's sulfate free shampoo (and the conditioner that goes along with it). Have been using it for years now and it is the only shampoo/conditioner that is consistently great with my hair. And the price is awesome, too.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I'm hoping that this abs will work out for me! It's been hard to figure out so far! Can each of you who use it describe your hair care routine to me in detail?

Today I lathered it in my hands, applied only to the top of my head/scalp, and rinsed immediately. I then repeated that process once more. Then I applied a pea sized dot of loreal total repair 5 conditioner to the ends because they were getting BAD from using the abs on them for the past 3 or 4 days. Then I got out of the shower, and brushed through my hair. It's feeling a LOT better than it has (less sticky and filmy at the top, and waaay softer at the bottom). I'm hoping this routine will stick? I'll have to see how it dries...

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Tom's of Maine used to not work for me, but I think they reformulated their deodorant a couple of years ago because it's fine now.

My favorites are Jason brand, aloe vera scented, and Liken Plant, herbal scent. I can't do anything fruity or floral, it just smells weird on me. The Jason brand lasted all day when I lived in AZ and ugh, sweat city down there.

Zinc and chlorophyll also help cut down on body odor and sweating. You can add stuff to your diet to help with it. I eat a big mouthful of parsley every day, and take a chlorophyll supplement (it's supposed to help with calcium absorption too). Some days I forget to put deodorant on until waaay later in the day, and I apologize to my family and they're like, "whut? We didn't even smell anything." Which is really reassuring. lol
Jason makes deodorant?! I've only ever seen their hair care products, which I use in my rotation and love. Hmmm!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Crazy Dog!

I'm not using the ABS shampoo bar, but I am using this bar.

Again, my hair is short, and fine, in a pixie cut, I use gel, mousse, and pomade daily. I rub the bar in my hands and get a good lather, then I rub it into my hair and scalp. I let it sit while I wash my body, then I rinse off. It does feel filmy/way while my hair is wet, but it dries fine, no film, no funky texture. It doesn't look oily or dry.

I've been using this same bar on my body, and while (so far) it's fine on my hair it is a little drying on my skin, so next time I buy I'm going to try a moisturizing body bar for both hair and body.