Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Awesome! Did they give you any tips on what to do to make the procedure go more comfortably? I know in Canada they sometimes use a numbing spray/gel, for mine, I just took aleve and had something to dilate things a little the night before. It hurt while it was being placed, but was fine once it was in place, just some period type cramping.
When I had mine placed they used a numbing spray and I also had Misoprostol the night before to dilate, and along with some Ibuprofen, the placing was really not very bad at all. I was expecting it to be MUCH worse! Slightly uncomfortable but not painful. Would definitely recommend a doctor who uses the numbing spray if possible!

ETA - I had to pay for the IUD itself (don't have insurance), but not the procedure. I'm in BC.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I've thought of Mirena, but I hear so many horror stories about it starting to migrate and going crazy places. :/ (I know horror stories come with pretty much every product, just makes me nervous.)
It's nothing I have to worry about in the immediate future, but I would like to find an additional form of BC. I'm on the pill, but a new prescription makes it mostly ineffective, and I am so not comfortable with condoms alone.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Twin 2.0

I just want my tubes tied. I'm VERY incredibly leery about using the little copper twists that just scar up your Fallopians because of the risk of ectopic pregnancies plus copper is known to exacerbate depressive/bipolar issues, which is something I am 100% interested in avoiding.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:25 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I want my tubes tied, too, but thanks to a crap load of law suits, no waiver I could sign will convince a doctor to do it at my age. My friend is 25 and was told to wait until she she's 35. Understandable, but annoying.
I love babies and get all maternal with them, but I do not ever want my own spawn, even though people are always saying I will one day.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:08 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I just want my tubes tied. I'm VERY incredibly leery about using the little copper twists that just scar up your Fallopians because of the risk of ectopic pregnancies plus copper is known to exacerbate depressive/bipolar issues, which is something I am 100% interested in avoiding.
The bolded part.
My mom had 3 ectopic pregnancies after she had one of those put in.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

For some reason I've never heard of the copper? Sounds like nothing I would be comfortable with. :/ Seems like there are several different procedures that categorize under tubal ligation. I want them cut, tied, and burned.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Awesome! Did they give you any tips on what to do to make the procedure go more comfortably? I know in Canada they sometimes use a numbing spray/gel, for mine, I just took aleve and had something to dilate things a little the night before. It hurt while it was being placed, but was fine once it was in place, just some period type cramping.
I haven't gone to pick it up yet, but yes, as far as I know they gave me a pill to take the night before but that's all? I will likely just take some meds before hand. I'm used to really bad cramps (can't get out of bed, bad) so hoping I will be able to handle it.

I am supposed to leave work to go have this done and then likely go back to work. Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect to drive myself to and from? Also, any ideas how long it generally takes to be put in? Thanks!

I am excited. Just hope I am one of the people who has no period instead of the ones that bleed all the time. The Dr recommended it because I wanted something to lessen my period, so hopefully all goes well.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 02-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Oh you'll be able to handle it - it just hurt like hell haha. I was very quick though. I was going to ask her "how bad is bad, because my bad cramps make me throw up" and before I could say anything it started to hurt and I couldn't talk anymore.

You can definitely drive yourself to and from and likely go back to work after with no problems. I did! The entire appointment took maybe ten minutes? Not very long at all. The actual placement took probably a couple minutes. About as long as a pap smear, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
For some reason I've never heard of the copper? Sounds like nothing I would be comfortable with. :/ Seems like there are several different procedures that categorize under tubal ligation. I want them cut, tied, and burned.
It's the Essure process. A co-worker of mine at the station had it done. You put the little copper doo-dad in there and it basically closes the fallopian tube around it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Oh you'll be able to handle it - it just hurt like hell haha. I was very quick though. I was going to ask her "how bad is bad, because my bad cramps make me throw up" and before I could say anything it started to hurt and I couldn't talk anymore.

You can definitely drive yourself to and from and likely go back to work after with no problems. I did! The entire appointment took maybe ten minutes? Not very long at all. The actual placement took probably a couple minutes. About as long as a pap smear, I'd say.
Awesome, thank you for all the information. And I found out I will only have to pay like $10 when I go to pick it all up. The DR told me that without the insurance it was like $600, but when I called our local costco they said without insurance it's only $350. Awesome for when I need another, assuming this works for me!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
I haven't gone to pick it up yet, but yes, as far as I know they gave me a pill to take the night before but that's all? I will likely just take some meds before hand. I'm used to really bad cramps (can't get out of bed, bad) so hoping I will be able to handle it.

I am supposed to leave work to go have this done and then likely go back to work. Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect to drive myself to and from? Also, any ideas how long it generally takes to be put in? Thanks!
I got that pill too, to soften your cervix. I got normal period-like cramps like I had before I went on the pill; had to take a couple of tylenol in order to sleep. I took another tylenol before I went for the procedure. The whole procedure took about... 10 minutes? Maybe 15 including nuding up and getting dressed again?

I drove myself too and from the appointment and went to school afterwards, no problem. They don't put you under or anything, so as long as you don't faint when they put it in... apparently that happens sometimes.