Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Active Pup

Default How can i stop my cat from plucking the carpet?

I want my cat to become and inside cat again but when she is inside she scratches the carpet and destroys it. We have tried putting pepper on the carpet and spaying her with lemon water when she scratches it but it doesn't seem to work. She is also an old cat and doesn't use scratchy poles.
Any other ideas?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

You need to find her an alternate scratching surface. Cats need to scratch, if she doesn't have something else that she is allowed to use it will be nearly impossible to stop her from scratching your things. What sorts of scratching posts hqve you tried? Have you tried flat cardboard ones of other horizontal scratchers? A lot of the vertical post scratchers are too short and flimsy for most cats, though there are some good ones. Also experience with different materials, if she likes carpet you can try to find carpet scratchers. Once you find a post she likes put it very close to the area she scratches and when you catch her scratching the carpet startle her and bring her to her post and encourage scratching (you can drag a toy across it if that will help).

I havpe alos found clipping nails reduces scratching a lot, and of course reduces damage when it does happen, so if you could clip her nails that would likely help a lot.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Active Pup

Our cats love to scratch on the carpet too because from the sound of it, that backing provides the perfect 'grab' for their claws.

We've bought scratching posts, scratching trays...you name it.

But honestly....I'm kidding myself if I think I'm going to 'train' my cat. They might humor me for a day or too, but the the full moon comes and well, they laugh their little kitty laugh and go right back to what they were doing.