Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It's dangerous to ask your agility dog to run fast?
Well, it can be, sure. Dogs get sports injuries all the time doing... sports. My dogs have sustained minor paw injuries skijoring, and could easily sustain more serious injuries. We all make our choices but I think it's equally extreme and silly to insinuate that sports don't carry a risk of injury as it is to be so afraid of those risks that you don't participate with a dog who loves it.

Quote:
Did I hear her wrong or did she say agility is dangerous and thus she will not do it anymore, not with any certain dogs.
I ain't watching that whole thing again, but I thought she said that one of HER dogs wasn't supposed to do the jumps. And then the weird speculative thing about maybe possibly theoretically getting injured at a trial because you trained in your backyard, which is... weird, but didn't really seem anti-agility to me.

Quote:
Your dog could pull its hammy slipping on wet grass, denying them access to the yard in the rain is the kind of insanity that is being laughed at.
I think she's risk averse to a silly degree, but I guess I'm just not seeing THAT level of insanity in anything she's saying.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Well, she is better than you. She puts her dog first and you clearly do not.

Did Merlin ASK for the bowtie or did you pressure him into wearing it? She would never be so cruel.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I really don't want to watch it again but for me, it's in the general tone of the video and in others like it.

The idea of it being a balancing act "is this best for me, or best for the dog"
the impeding doom "oh if I vault in the wind blows and the dog lands on it's back so I vow to never put my dog in that situation"
"there are lots of safe tricks that don't put your dog at risk"
"tricks to look cool that are dangerous"
the whole "human ego" and the idea of selfishness, the TITLE of the darn video lol
"social pressure molding" and the idea that people are forcing their dogs to do certain things

Don't get me wrong. I like her. I recommend her videos all the time and love her simple step by step videos and positive training

but her videos like this grind my gears honestly.. it's always just so...higher than thou.
Then why do you watch them? The awesome part about the internet is that you can turn it off!

I mean, honestly, I'd rather people be taking it to the extreme this way, then taking it to the extreme in the opposite direction. So her dogs will probably never do ALL the things that yours may do....and we care....why?

I guess I just don't find this sort of thing important enough in the grand scheme to get riled up over it.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

She inferred fast agility, being "pushed" to run fast, is egotistical and dangerous. Basically if you run a slower dog and don't ask for extreme speeds you're looking out for your dog more than your ego.

She clearly said tricks that chance danger to the dog are not worth it if you put your dog first. Conversely one could gather that if you chance potentially risking your dog in a "millisecond" you're not putting the dog first, in turn you are putting yourself first.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

For what it's worth I don't see anyone storming the castle, I see people annoyed and laughing.

If anything people are responding in equal levels of "riled up" in defense.

<shrug>

Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
She inferred fast agility, being "pushed" to run fast, is egotistical and dangerous. Basically if you run a slower dog and don't ask for extreme speeds your looking out for your dog more than your ego.
No, YOU inferred that.
/grammar nazi

Seriously, I think that whole thing was bizarrely speculative with too much AS FAST AS HE CAN but I didn't really get that out of it... I took it to mean, be careful how you train because at balls to the wall speed there could be an accident on unfamiliar equipment. Which isn't... exactly untrue, I guess, although it took a lot of setup to essentially say BE CAREFUL.

Quote:
She clearly said tricks that chance danger to the dog are not worth it if you put your dog first. Conversely one could gather that if you chance potentially risking your dog in a "millisecond" you're not putting the dog first, in turn you are putting yourself first.
Well I'm not going to go back and watch it all again, but as I said before her false dichotomy of "it's either for you OR for the dog" annoys me... it can be for both of you. Certainly we all have a line in the sand where there ARE tricks or activities where the level of danger is not worth it to each of us, and obviously her line in the sand is way, way behind mine. And there ARE times when we all probably put ourselves first. But I guess I didn't take it as a personal accusation against anyone's particular decisions so much as her just saying where her line is and that people should think about why theirs is where it is. Even if it was done in kind of a weird, cray cray way.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
For what it's worth I don't see anyone storming the castle, I see people annoyed and laughing.

If anything people are responding in equal levels of "riled up" in defense.

<shrug>
I don't see anyone storming the castle, either, nor am I riled up, I'm just... discussing the video? Which is the point of the thread? Unless it was meant to just be a circle jerk, in which case I'll bow out.
*shrug*

Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Don't worry yourself grammar nazi, I meant insinuated, again, the world won't end tonight.

Nothing she said was not impossible to relate to, it was merely "out there". Her opinion, my opinion, her* seriousness, my comedy.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I don't see anyone storming the castle, either, nor am I riled up, I'm just... discussing the video? Which is the point of the thread? Unless it was meant to just be a circle jerk, in which case I'll bow out.
*shrug*
I am referencing PWs post mentioning "riled up". Suggesting that neither opposing side is riled up.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Don't worry yourself grammar nazi, I meant insinuated, again, the world won't end tonight.
Yes, that was... a joke on my part.

Quote:
Nothing she said was not impossible to relate to, it was merely "out there". Her opinion, my opinion, your seriousness, my comedy.
I have a feeling my seriousness is not nearly as serious as you think it is. Ah, the pitfalls of ascribing tone and motive on the internet.