Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default Ego Vs. Safety - Kikopup Video

I know it's long and her voice/manner of speaking is kind of annoying but I was wondering what chazzers thought.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Silence, peasants.

I just saw this, was thinking about posting it here, but didn't want to be the instigator lol. I think it is something to think about, taking calculated risks and remembering your dog is not a machine and needs to be conditioned. There are some tricks I see where I just go 'uhhh that's not safe', so I understand that POV. At the same time, you also don't want to not do any athletics because you *might* get hurt, same goes for a dog. And honestly, I'm used to here monotone, it doesn't bother me haha.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

I think it is a very important message. Dogs will try pretty much anything we ask, so we have to be responsible in what we're asking.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I wasn't impressed. Sure, there are questions. I won't be parkouring Shamoo any time soon but I also won't stop things my dogs love for that millisecond chance of damage.

My opinion is more so you train appropriately, not avoid in case of that tiny chance of accident.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
The Monster.

I saw this earlier today. I wasn't a fan. Her points are valid at the end, definitely, but she strikes me as being a worrier and almost advocating arbitrarily limiting your dog's activities based on the possibility that it might get hurt. Don't encourage your dog to jump off a roof, by all means, but not having her Chihuahua back up for fear of injury? Really? This is the same girl who advocates walking all dogs on harnesses because she fears a collar might be uncomfortable -- a valid point, but I think it's hypersensitive (my dog much prefers a collar to a harness, for example).

I think it's generally good advice, but the moments of hypersensitivity bothered me. Dogs will do anything we ask of them, and we owe it to them to be responsible. But they're also amazing athletes so let's just have some fun with them.

E: ^^^ Said it more concisely than I could. Thanks.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Twin 2

The overall message of ego vs safety is a good and important one but I think she, like I believe she normally does, took that past logical and into the extreme.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
The overall message of ego vs safety is a good and important one but I think she, like I believe she normally does, took that past logical and into the extreme.

Exactly this. I mean, no stairs? That's not going to happen. No crawling? Logan has to crawl on a daily basis as part of his job, crawling both forwards and backwards. Agility doesn't have to be repetitive jumping. You can do stuff and not be wreckless about it.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Exactly this. I mean, no stairs? That's not going to happen. No crawling? Logan has to crawl on a daily basis as part of his job, crawling both forwards and backwards. Agility doesn't have to be repetitive jumping. You can do stuff and not be wreckless about it.
When she said that I went "Wait, did I hear that wrong?" I mean, seriously?

But, I'm a big believer in teaching dogs to do things correctly like landing, jumping, how to use their body, building up those core muscles to work on preventing injury when they inevitably do something like that because they're DOGS and it's gonna happen if I don't wrap them in bubble wrap.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Let it be

Doesn't her dog Kiko have some physical issues with her ankles? I could understand a small Chihuahua being banned from going up and down stairs if they are physically unsound.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I think she very much blew it out of proportion with the whole "no backing up, etc". I mean, it's not like the dog is going to be practicing backing up for 7 hours a day.

BUT I have thought on many occasions that people go a little overboard with their dogs, like on some YouTube videos that I have seen (probably the same ones she is talking about), and I have had the same thought process. What if you didn't catch the dog jumping from a very tall height? kind of issues.

With sports like agility and disc, as long as you condition properly and take the time to make sure you are doing things safely, then I see absolutely no reason to NOT participate.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.