Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
In regards to both the CAT and higher level lure coursing being the same do those who can only get CAT titles feel slighted? I mean if you are doing the same exact runs, why not get the same titles? If not, why is this okay?
So far, no, I haven't run into any problems. But I was disappointed to learn that Gwen can't run with other dogs. To me, that's kind of the point... Getting her to be interested in the lure and actively chase it is one thing, and I'm glad she enjoyed that. But it would be nice to see how she does with other dogs involved. Sael and Sizzle can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gwen is deceptively fast. I think I heard someone call her a 'fox'.

I'm not like 'OMG HOW UNFAIR' about it, but I can't say I understand the reasoning behind it. Apart from the sighthounds being faster and all around 'better' at it... But, again, that's a personal thing. If I don't mind running my dog against a Whippet, why is it a big deal? A dog park is more much likely to have bad consequences than a coursing run or two.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I refused to run my mal against a dog I didn't know would follow the lure instead of crash into my dog. I also don't do dog parks, though.

Thanks guys, our tangent is interesting.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
It's actually pretty hard. The work part of it is difficult, not impossible, but the really tricky part of it is that you have to have a unanimous vote of approval by the board, and if you receive one "no"- not only are you not able to get ABCA ROM, you can't try for it again.

One of my friends has a TC (conformation, agility and herding) Border Collie (Pirates sire) who had even spent some time in England trailing at ISDS trials, so when he came over here his owner wanted to get him a ROM with ABCA, and although he passed the herding, he received two yes votes and the rest were no's, all because he was an AKC champion. Pretty sad.
Considering the ABCA rules state that any dog that has been titled a show champion cannot be registered with the ABCA, it makes sense. The rules are there. The leaders of the group should follow them (like they did) or change them. I'm pretty sure your friend could still trial USBCHA if they wanted. Just FYI.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l

Last edited by Lizmo; 04-09-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Considering the ABCA rules state that any dog that has been titled a show champion cannot be registered with the ABCA, it makes sense. The rules are there. The leaders of the group should follow them (like that did) or change them. I'm pretty sure your friend could still trial USBCHA if they wanted. Just FYI.
She did still trial with USBCHA with him, but one thing she ran into is that ABCA sponsors most of the awards at trials, and they won't allow any show champion to receive any awards. Seems pretty ridiculous to me...

ABCA supposedly will register Show Champions on merit, but although 7 dogs have tried for it, not one has gotten it, and of those 7 I know 4 of them failed simply because of the voting of the board members.

ISDS on the other hand has a much better system- they will register dogs on merit regardless of their breeding or titles, if they can win an open-level ISDS trial or go through a pretty difficult test. In fact, that is how Riot's half sister and her great-great grandmother were ISDS registered, despite them having show titles.

Sorry for the slightly off topic post Adrianne

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Show Dog

I've only been to one coursing event and it was just a fun run, but put me down in the 'wouldn't run my dog with other dogs' group. Pig is small and oblivious to most dangers,she's been trampled by Bear a few times in situations where she could see him coming. Even if the other dog never redirected onto her, having her run with another super amped dog with tunnel vision seems like a recipe for disaster.

I do wish she could do earthdog stuff. I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I've seen on tv years ago. It just looks fun and I like fun.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I refused to run my mal against a dog I didn't know would follow the lure instead of crash into my dog. I also don't do dog parks, though.

Thanks guys, our tangent is interesting.
Well, I'd argue that to receive a full coursing title, a dog MUST run with other dogs. The sighthounds do after a solo test, to help see that they will follow the bag. Some still follow the other dogs instead and lose points or get DQed.

Right now no one is letting other breeds do a test then run as a group, so the test is fundamentally different than the sighthound test even if the course is identical.

Of course, plenty of eligible breeds never coursed a hare so why not open it up. You could run shepherd type groups and retriever groups and so on depending on who showed up.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Well, I'd argue that to receive a full coursing title, a dog MUST run with other dogs. The sighthounds do after a solo test, to help see that they will follow the bag. Some still follow the other dogs instead and lose points or get DQed.

Right now no one is letting other breeds do a test then run as a group, so the test is fundamentally different than the sighthound test even if the course is identical.

Of course, plenty of eligible breeds never coursed a hare so why not open it up. You could run shepherd type groups and retriever groups and so on depending on who showed up.
Good points.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

The only reason I wish Lucy could run with the sighthounds is so we'd have more opportunities to play. The closest CAT tests are almost 4 hours away--not worth it for a 1 minute loop. The few times we've played, Lucy has had a BLAST and run like a speed demon, but we don't get to do it very often.

I would not trust her to run with other dogs. I know she would not do anything to them, but it would become a game of chase to her, and she would likely distract the other dogs.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Has anyone set up a coursing course on their own? Since we're mainly on lure coursing now. I don't desire to title in another venue, but from a conditioning standpoint...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
Has anyone set up a coursing course on their own? Since we're mainly on lure coursing now. I don't desire to title in another venue, but from a conditioning standpoint...
I have not, but I'd LOVE to be able to find a cheap enough one to set up a small course somewhere.