Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We saw a few systems damaged by pit bulls and the like through the all breed lure coursing association being put on in Vegas.

However, that seems like you're throwing the baby out with the bath water, ya know?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

I think the damage to the course has more to do with how the course is set up than what breed of dog is running. Last year the course was pretty flush with the ground, and no dogs tripped over it. This year the course was well above the ground, and I was afraid it was going to tear up my dogs' legs more than once, and Gavroche did trip over it once. If it was set up properly, I find it hard to see how one breed is more likely to ruin it than another.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

These dogs were grabbing and yanking the line with the lure, I guess it threw the puli more than once? It happened at the ABLSA events, it's very possible their set up is different than AKC.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
These dogs were grabbing and yanking the line with the lure
So, after the run, when they "catch" the lure? I saw more sighthounds try to "catch" the lure at the end of a course than non-sighthounds. My dogs pretty much give up once the lure stops, though they may grab the lure once. When they grab it and it doesn't pull away, it turns boring.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

The only breed specific sport we do is lure coursing. I love that we can have CATS here now! This helps our club out so much, it gives us extra hands and more money coming in. And it gets more dog people together, which is always a great time
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
These dogs were grabbing and yanking the line with the lure, I guess it threw the puli more than once? It happened at the ABLSA events, it's very possible their set up is different than AKC.
I've seen so many basenji's do this. I wonder if they could put in a discretion paragraph in their cat premium about possibly muzzling dogs that bite the line
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
So, after the run, when they "catch" the lure? I saw more sighthounds try to "catch" the lure at the end of a course than non-sighthounds. My dogs pretty much give up once the lure stops, though they may grab the lure once. When they grab it and it doesn't pull away, it turns boring.
Yes, when it stopped or they caught it they would grab and yank, my mals would do it as well. I'm not sure what that says about the chase instinct but the officials were scolding the lure runner for not keeping it away and yelling at the owners for not catching their dogs efficiently enough I would like to try the CAT at the Belgian Malinois western specialty but that will be my first AKC, I've only seen and done the off organizations.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yes, when it stopped or they caught it they would grab and yank, my mals would do it as well. I'm not sure what that says about the chase instinct but the officials were scolding the lure runner for not keeping it away and yelling at the owners for not catching their dogs efficiently enough I would like to try the CAT at the Belgian Malinois western specialty but that will be my first AKC, I've only seen and done the off organizations.
That doesn't sound very relaxing, with all the yelling at people. The CATs that I've done have all been pretty relaxing events, where everyone just enjoys being out playing with dogs. The first one I attended, I didn't have a good enough grip on Tess, and she got away from me and ran out as another dog (an OES) was finishing the course. I was mortified, but nobody got too riled up about it.

I can not catch her at the end of the course, there's always a couple minutes of me trying to get her, while she circles the bags, hoping they'll run away again. And again, nobody gets riled up, they think it's funny.

She doesn't want the lure that much, she'll bite at it, but then she goes back to wanting it to run so she can chase. I'll say that it's a little hard for me to imagine the dog tearing things up too much while pulling at the lure, though, if they pull too hard, the bag will just shred.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

These dogs grabbed at the bag but managed to get the lure. If I were home I would go through the photographers pics from the event I remember seeing a photo of it after the fact.

It wasn't fun, we didn't seek out ABLSA again. I have heard one of the gals left and its now run with a bit better management but it was too stressful.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Okay, first off I've seen photos/heard of kelpies at USBCHA trials, which are predominantly border collies. I also know of someone who runs shelties. Second of all, it is not impossible to get a dog registered on merit, which is open to non-papered border collies (if the dog gets registered, it's not a non-BC). Dogs have passed it and gotten ROM. Is it hard? Yes. It could be considered too hard, but it is not impossible.
It's actually pretty hard. The work part of it is difficult, not impossible, but the really tricky part of it is that you have to have a unanimous vote of approval by the board, and if you receive one "no"- not only are you not able to get ABCA ROM, you can't try for it again.

One of my friends has a TC (conformation, agility and herding) Border Collie (Pirates sire) who had even spent some time in England trailing at ISDS trials, so when he came over here his owner wanted to get him a ROM with ABCA, and although he passed the herding, he received two yes votes and the rest were no's, all because he was an AKC champion. Pretty sad.

Personally, I see both sides to the OP's question- I wish I could course Riot and get titles, but I also agree with the injury and the changing rules to accommodate argument.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?