Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Need Reassurance

I'm so upset and kinda nervous right now. I really need someone to tell me it will be fine. I'm freaking out a bit.

My school bookstore told me they would have the book I need for my Mechanical Engineering Materials (MEM) class by thursday, and the latest by Friday (yesterday) because they were completely sold out of the book (new or used) by MONDAY MORNING! I checked the very first day of class, but I have classes 7am-11am so I couldn't check until 11am and by then they where sold out. I couldn't get the book beforehand because financial aid is disbursed the first day of class (monday) and I didn't have $200 for the book before that.

I even asked if they could just order it for me as a special order type deal, nope. I asked if they could check to make sure it was on order, NO. They said they can't check it won't show for them, and that if it was out of stock they order it that day it goes out of stock and it takes 2 days usually. Ok, no problem, fine.

So I go every single **** day at noon and 3:30pm because they said they got shipments at 11am and 3pm every day. I went EVERY DAY and by friday they still didn't get it, and said "We will almost certainly get it tomorrow." OK Fine, tomorrow is fine, I just need the book. ok.

Came in today, guess what? No they did NOT have the book! They even had a sign saying "This book is out of Stock and will NOT be ordered. If you need the book talk to boostore staff and we can order it for you." WTF? REALLY!?!

So I go back to the staff and ask, what is going on? Well, the book was never ordered, it was never planned to be ordered. I was waiting for NOTHING! At this point I'm really annoyed and am trying to hold myself together to get this figured out. So I asked how we could order it and when the soonest it could be ordered, can't order it until monday and it would take 10-12 days (WTF!?) unless I wanted 2 day order and pay extra. How much extra? No idea, they didn't know! Apparently only one lady orders anything and knows anything and she's not there until Monday.

I wish I would've been told this in the begining, I would've just talked directly to her and given up earlier!

So now my only choices are to wait until Monday, pay $50 (I'm guessing) extra and not get the book until Wednesday at the earlierst, probably Thursday. Or Order online, get it Tuesday (already done, paid $20 extra for one day shipping).

So the kicker of the entire story is I signed a paper first day of school saying I understand we will not be allowed entry into the classroom if we do not have the book in our possession starting Monday, April 8, 2013. So I'm not going to have the book until Tuesday evening (class is at 9am) and I can't go to class without it. Also, we miss 4 class days and we automatically Fail! So by the time I get the book I'll have missed 3 days (I missed the first day) of class, and possibly the lab which is Tuesday at 2:30pm. If I miss the lab I will also automatically FAIL.

I found an online copy of the first chapter and sent an email to my teacher to see if I could bring my laptop with me and use the online copy, but I don't know what he'll say.

This really isn't helping my anxieyt, so I'm kinda freaking out. If I lose this class I'll go under 12 credits and my financial aid will be revoked and I will be put on academic probation for going under 12 credits, with possibility of appeal. There aren't any 5 credits classes that aren't full and are not part of my program. There *may* be a 5 credit class that's not part of my curriculum that I could find, but it's already a week into the quarter so it'll be a catch up game for a class I don't actually need.

Gah, I'm just freaking out and really pissed at the bookstore and myself for even trusting they would get the book.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Ho ho ho off.

I'd email the lecturer/class teacher in advance and explain. You have ordered it, but it's not arriving till later.

I'm pretty sure someone can share their book with you if you need it on the day.....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'd email the lecturer/class teacher in advance and explain. You have ordered it, but it's not arriving till later.

I'm pretty sure someone can share their book with you if you need it on the day.....
I did, I explained I had the electronic copy and the other was on order. I just don't know if that will matter. The paper we all signed in the begining states:

"2. “No Text Book = No Entrance to the Class” effective from Monday, 04/08/2013."
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

I've also seen syllabus that say

ABSOLUTELY NO LATE PAPERS WILL BE ACCEPTED IN THIS COURSE. PAPERS HANDED IN LATE WILL BE GIVEN A MARK OF ZERO.

and people come to class and say "I don't have my paper" and what do you know, the prof just gives them a dirty look and says "get it to me asap"

So there's hope. Just explain it to the instructor either during their office hours or in email... keep it relatively short at first, give more detail if necessary.

You were screwed by the book store of their institution and will have the first chapter. They can make an allowance.

ETA I would print the copy you have and then take it to their office and ask very politely if this would possibly be sufficient and also bring the receipt from the bookstore (or some proof, go ask for a note from them if you have to) to show when you are getting it. Most profs aren't the devil incarnate and when they sense the desperation to be in their class they relent lol
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 PM
such sights to show you

You'd be surprised by the textbooks you can find on Amazon - I'd check it out for sure. Also try textbooks.com. Hopefully you can get rush shipping for not too much.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, if you explain your situation, the professor will most likely understand, unless they're a HUGE freakin' creep. Explain you will find someone in the class to read along with before class starts, and do whatever you can to stay caught-up.

Professors put crap on the syllabus they don't need ALL the time.

"After the first absence you lose 10 points for each absence"...usually a lie.
"No late papers accepted"...frequently a lie.
"You NEED the textbook"...most of the time, no you don't. You use it once for one stupid chapter. You can freakin' photocopy it from the library for 10 cents instead of paying $200 for a dumb book you use ONCE.

The professor is using that syllabus to make it clear you are going to need to do work in the book from the beginning, not because they want everyone who's having a legitimate problem getting it to not be allowed in their class no way no how. If you're willing to find a way to get the work done anyway and get the book ASAP, and explain that to the professor, they're not going to kick you out...and if they do, you could probably fight it in student court or take it up with an advisor, because that's ridiculous.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Can you order an etextbook off amazon or something for your kindle/ipad/laptop and show your prof? I don't see why that would be a problem, unless it's a workbook type thing.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Can you order an etextbook off amazon or something for your kindle/ipad/laptop and show your prof? I don't see why that would be a problem, unless it's a workbook type thing.
Yeah! Who is the publisher? I would check their website, some publishers offer a free e-book rental when the book is purchased and shipping.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Also, check out bigwords.com. It will show you all the different sites where your book is available (including cheaper rental options, etextbooks, etc) and maybe one of them has rush shipping available.

Either way, it will almost definitely be cheaper than your campus bookstore!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm probably just freaking out for nothing, but this wasn't just a syllabus. This was an extra page with important details and a signature signed by each student type thing. So It makes me a bit nervous, plus he doesn't seem like the most forgiving teacher. >_< So I'm not sure how this is going to play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You'd be surprised by the textbooks you can find on Amazon - I'd check it out for sure. Also try textbooks.com. Hopefully you can get rush shipping for not too much.
Oh, I already ordered the book, not from my school but Amazon for much cheaper and still new If I got it from my school I wouldn't get it until earliest Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I already have a free copy of the e-book and I wrote in the email I'd bring my laptop so he could see, but I'm just not sure if it will matter. I'm hoping it will work!