Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Top Dog

Kastle has a Jafco plastic and a wire basket. I like the wire basket because he can't get it off and it provides more air flow. I have pictures with it on him I can post later if you want to see it. I started with a plastic wire basket from Petco or wherever and he could fit his foot in the base because it was so wide. It had to be that wide to accommodate the length of his snout.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Agility freak!

I am liking the looks of the Baskerville muzzles a LOT! I like the way they fit and the spacing, like was mentioned, would be good for putting treats in. I am just wondering how they'd hold up to when she pushes a jolly egg around with a muzzle on? I want to be sure that whatever I get will last, and I don't know how well a plastic one at all will hold up to the pressure.

I am not interested in the solid leather ones, honestly. Too little air flow, plus, I want to be able to see my dogs lips to see if she's showing signs that she needs to be removed from the situation, etc..

ETA: Unless maybe I bought a leather one like this: http://leerburg.com/1058.htm That might be my best bet for when she's using the jolly ball, actually...

Just wondering about the Baskerville ones how hard they'd be to size a dog for, since I'd have to order online?

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Owned by Belgians

I buy the plastic ones. They are cheap, and they stay on my dog's head just fine.

http://www.morrco.com/poldogmuzsiz.html

(They were half the price when I bought mine.)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I buy the plastic ones. They are cheap, and they stay on my dog's head just fine.

http://www.morrco.com/poldogmuzsiz.html

(They were half the price when I bought mine.)
That's what she has now, I just find them hard to give a treat in, and I'd like something a little more solid.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Although Chloe has used her Baskerville muzzle all of one time, I really liked it. And I think it would stand up to a lot of wear and tear, too. Hers, anyway, almost feels more like rubber than plastic. Very tough and durable.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Show Dog

I really like the Baskervilles, but my favourite are leather basket muzzles. I had an Orlo for one foster dog and absolutely loved it.

Not my photo...

That being said, they are hard to find. I believe they're only made when ordered in bulk.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Aussie Obssessed

My guys have a baskerville muzzle that they are all trained to wear "just in case", I originally bought it for Hawkeye tho as part of his gear for SAR work.

and ya it's a hard rubbery kind of plastic, it's moderately bendable. Hawkeye wears a size 3, he's about as large as a size 3 will fit, the same muzzle also fits Lark and Kechara but they are about the smallest dogs it will fit.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I have several of the exact one you have now and that's all I use, and yes I have that same issue with some of them, she found out how to stick her teeth through the bars to grab her ball/toys and carry them through the muzzle which has broken out a side bar on a couple of them. She is right now in hers daily.

IMO, I will NEVER waste money on another leather muzzle again! EVER! They STINK when played in, BADLY, are a PITA to keep clean if you let them play in them, heck even if they just drink through it, and they collapse! I would never trust one that is like the one you posted for a fear biter. I still have the one I bought for Enda and put it away after getting the plastic ones and if I find where it went I'm tossing it, it's beyond gross and useless.
ETA: Forgot! She also injured her nose pretty bad on a rivet on the leather one which was the LAST straw! She had a bald spot on her nose for months, she ended up at 3 different shows with that bald spot, did not make me happy.

I would suggest trying the Baskerville, I've only seen one bad review for it, from Fleetwoods owner, she made a thread here about it, he kept getting his nose through the wide bars at the bottom of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

The hounds come with a plastic basket type muzzle. They've only worn them for a few days until I get to know them and their personality, but they worked well for us.

My Photos