Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
aka RedHotBabe

CONGRATS!! I told you it wasn't that bad.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Club Terrible - President

Congrats! I just signed up for my safety course today, haha.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
Do some people not take their driving tests on the road?

I got stuck in traffic on the Autobahn for like 45 minutes. It was great, since the test only goes for 45 minutes.
I didn't have to p.-park, but I got asked questions like how think do the profiles of your tires have to be, and how do you check if the are fine. How do you know what kind of gas your car takes ect. ect.
Oh god, 45 minutes?! Here you start in a blocked off section of the parking lot... Do parallel parking and 3 point turn, and then you drive around the block once or twice. The last time it took me 15 minutes because I got stuck behind school buses. The first time it was 5 minutes.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Whoo-hoo, congrats!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I'm surprised how short your driver's tests are!!

Ours, we have 2 levels, if it's your first license, it's a limited license and you can only carry one passenger (that's not immediate family) and that's for 2 years. That license test is a 30 minute test which includes parallel parking, 2-3 left turn with no traffic light, back into parking spot, 3 point turn, and the regular change lane, left/right turn with traffic lights, school zone, somewhere where there's a yield sign, etc. Oh and unless you dramatically failed, the exam doesn't end early and usually ends late.

Then for the full license which is taken 2 years after the first one and it's a 45-60 minute exam with more tricky situations and weird road signs and again parallel parking, back in, cul de sac, roundabout, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post

Ours, we have 2 levels, if it's your first license, it's a limited license and you can only carry one passenger (that's not immediate family) and that's for 2 years. That license test is a 30 minute test which includes parallel parking, 2-3 left turn with no traffic light, back into parking spot, 3 point turn, and the regular change lane, left/right turn with traffic lights, school zone, somewhere where there's a yield sign, etc. Oh and unless you dramatically failed, the exam doesn't end early and usually ends late.

Then for the full license which is taken 2 years after the first one and it's a 45-60 minute exam with more tricky situations and weird road signs and again parallel parking, back in, cul de sac, roundabout, etc.
We have 3 levels. First, you can't drive without a fully licensed driver (5+ years) in the passenger seat, can't drive on roads over 60km/h, can't drive between midnight and 5am. That's for a year, 8 months if you go to driving school.

Then, you get one with more freedom. If you're over 19, it doesn't have any limitations. If you're under, there's a limit to minor passengers, limit to what roads you can go on the first 6 months, and limit to time. That's another year.

Then you get your full license.

Through it all, there's one written and two driving tests.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

Oh yea counting the Learner's we have 3 too...

Learner's - cannot drive without a full license 25 yr + person sitting in the passenger seat, can't drive between 12-6 am.

Novice - Taken 1 year after Learner's, can drive anytime but cannot carry more than 1 passenger other than immediate family, unless there's a full license 25 + passenger

Class 5 - taken 2 years after the Novice license, no restrictions on passengers

It's a huge hassle to get a full license lol. I understand it's for safety reasons but my goodness does it take a long time!

Jess, aren't you in Canada too? I think we have a very similar if not the same system...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Fishies!

US driving tests ARE very easy compared to Europe. Most people manage ok, but I have to wonder how it would be if we had to pass the UK or German test. You do see some strange things here.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post

Ours is a Learners which is a written test only and you have to have it for 2 years minimum. You can only drive with a licensed driver with you.

Then a GDL which is for another 2 years, it's a 30 minute road test or so. Speed changes, parallel parking, regular parking, uncontrolled intersection, one way street left turn, parking up and down hills, turns, etc. Not supposed to drive between certain times, less demerits until license gets pulled.

Then after that you can take the hour long full license test or just keep paying to renew your GDL, which is what I did lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Some parts of the US are CRAZY lax on driver's licenses. In Florida, my 16 year old cousin just got her full license (can drive at any time, with anyone in the car!) and I know in some states, you can do that at 15. I think that's way too young...it's one thing to allow a kid that age to drive with no passengers during certain times or to/from work and school...but I can't imagine being that young and focusing on driving places with friends in the car, or at night, etc.

NY is pretty strict as far as US states go. You can get a permit at 16, and you must have someone over 21 in the passenger seat with you...I believe you can have any other passengers as well. Any time, but you can't drive on a couple of major state parkways and over tunnels or bridges.

They just changed it, so now you can get a "junior license" at 16 with driver's ed or 17 without it (you still need 500 hours of supervised driver signed off by a parent). I'm not sure what those restrictions are...they're in regards to driving at night and passengers. At 18, you can get your full license.

When I got my license (they just changed these laws last year) you could get your full license at 17 or at 16 if you took driver's ed. So really they just upped it by one year.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com