Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately pretty much everyone I know passed the test the first time. I actually can't think of anyone I know (from my area) who failed. So it's a lot of pressure on me because I will be really embarrassed if I fail. I also have anxiety, so that doesn't help me. I get very stressed and paranoid about any big thing like this. I just feel like people are counting on me, and I don't want to let them down. Everyone I know is like "don't worry, you're going to pass" and I wish they wouldn't say that. I wish they'd just say "if you fail it's not a big deal, just try your best." I just know if I fail it's gonna crush me and shatter my confidence. And I hate that. Because I know it shouldn't and I know it's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't change my anxiety over it lol!
This is exactly how I felt when I went to get my permit. Everyone was saying of course you'll pass, everyone passes, they've never met anyone whose failed before, etc. All that meant to me was "so if you fail you're the biggest idiot we know!". Id rather people just say oh well, lots of people fail, you can just take it again.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Honestly....I don't know very many people who passed their test the first time. So if I were you I'd try to prepare for the fact that, despite it being inconvenient and out of the way for you to retake it, many people do and it shouldn't be a big deal.
This. My Uncle had to take his driving test something like 13 times before he passed. I believe both my parents had to take it at least twice.

I was so happy to pass the first time, both times, but I was prepared to not.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Best of luck with it

My Photos
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Fishies!

The only thing about parallel parking is the curb. In NJ at least, they'll take points off or fail you if you hit the "curb" cones. I guess its good because there could be a fire hydrant, but normally you can use the curb to feel where you are and the body would pass harmlessly over the curb. With cones though your bumper can't hit it but you still need to get close enough to the curb to avoid being dinged for that.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
The only thing about parallel parking is the curb. In NJ at least, they'll take points off or fail you if you hit the "curb" cones. I guess its good because there could be a fire hydrant, but normally you can use the curb to feel where you are and the body would pass harmlessly over the curb. With cones though your bumper can't hit it but you still need to get close enough to the curb to avoid being dinged for that.
They use a big cement slab here.. so if you get to close, crunch!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

First of all, especially if you're taking the test at another location, how anyone else you know did is not a very good reflection of you or your driving skills. You might be the unlucky 1 out of 10 who gets a really strict or grumpy instructor, or the location you take it at might have more complicated requirements to pass...plus everyone else you know probably took it in a familiar area. There's a very good chance you'll do fine, but there's also a chance something will not go right - and that is very likely to not be your fault at all.

Secondly, when you have a lot of anxiety, even getting your stuff together enough to TAKE the test is a huge accomplishment. You should be really proud of yourself for passing the written part, getting behind the wheel, learning to be a good driver, and being brave enough to sign up for and take the test!

Good luck! I'll send you passing-the-road-test vibes!

ETA: Like Psyfalcon said: here it's an automatic fail if you hit the curb during any part of the test...and 3 point turns are often done in areas where there is no curb, just grass and then street...and when I took the test, the ground was covered in leaves. I know quite a few people who failed because they drove onto the "curb" (dirt) during the test.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I was unmedicated when I took the test, so seriously, be proud that you're even taking the test. Just getting myself there to take the test felt like a win. Take everything one step at a time. Parallel parking was the first part of my test, and I was so nervous and focused on finishing that I wasn't paying attention to what was happening right now instead of just being done. It was after failing the first two tries at parallel parking that I realized this wasn't going well. I took a couple moments to collect myself, took a deep breath, and I did fine.

As for parallel parking, I never use it. Maybe it's because I don't live in or near the city, but parallel parking just never happens. Out of the maybe two random times I have had to do it, I've done it fine. No curbed wheels, no smushed bumpers.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Lab Love

I had the worst luck on the day on my drivers test. I was a super competent driver, I was even pretty good at parallel parking, which I need to use pretty often because I park downtown all the time. (it's a really good skill to have! watch a couple youtube videos and learn it.)

Anyways, I had mostly practiced in my grandmas car. The day of I was pulling out of the driveway to go to the test and actually scraped the car up against the house!! The first, and only time so far (knock on wood) I've hit anything. Then we get there and try to check in my grandmas car for the test, and her insurance was apparently invalid (didn't have a correct pink slip) So I had to rent the registry's vehicle for 50 bucks, which was a brand new civic. When we got the in the car she asked where a couple things might be (hazard lights blah blah). I started to drive off and realized I still have the e-brake on. After that the only thing else I failed on was not shoulder checking before I pulled out of the parallel park. Everything else was a breeze.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Original Twin

I took my driver's test in my (then) boyfriend's Chevy Silverado pickup truck. Which I had never driven. WHILE I was incredibly hungover (like dehydrated and shakey hungover, because it was the day after my birthday celebration and my friends were NOT nice to me.) AND I had to parallel park this beast of a truck, between REAL cars. AND I had never taken driver's ed or even read the driver's ed manual.

I passed the first time.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement!! I didn't realize so many people on Chaz dealt with anxiety. I really need to make a thread about that, I have a lot of questions.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)